HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
Discussion
dx8 lock out or lock up issue?? help

Ok so i have been flying my hangar 9 extra 260 27% since last august. Here is my setup
dle 55cc
all spektrum servos 6020's for all surfaces except the rudder its a 6040 i think it has over 200 oz of tq.
Running a sky lipo 3000 2s for receiver threw a 10amp castle bec
ignition has its own battery
spektrum 6200 receiver

i never had any issues with the plane last year but don't know if it was because i wasn't trying these 3d stunts i am now. well now i noticed sometimes that when i try to flip the plane with ailerons elevator and rudder and flip the plane and get it to a flat spin. Sometimes seems like the plane locks out and won't do the man overs i want it to do i just thought at first i was counteracting the throws. but i had a dead stick the other day found out un related but i was messing with the radio and when i try moving the surfaces on the ground it goes into lockout and will not move the surfaces sometimes it takes a second to move again sometimes more(while you are holding the sticks) but if you let go and try again its normal. sometimes it do it sometimes won't. But it will only do it if you work all the surfaces if you work only one it will not do it. I checked the battery and it was at 7.76v and 57% full.

Im wondering if I'm putting to much of a load on the battery and drawing down the voltage. or is the 10amp bec not enough current for the plane with working all the surfaces. Any help would be great I'm kinda at a loss.
chaos2984 is offline Find More Posts by chaos2984
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 08:57 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,522 Posts
I would say it's your BEC. The 10amp is only good for 4 standard digital servos and maybe less doing 3D. When you use all the control surfaces, you are most likely overloading that 10amp. Go with the 20amp pro and make sure none of your servos are binding.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old May 01, 2012, 09:17 PM
USA, LA, Sulphur
Joined Apr 2006
1,210 Posts
It definitely sounds like the BEC. Go to a larger BEC. But I recommend the use of A123 batteries(no BEC needed) with dual output wires going through 2 heavy duty switches. They can take anything you can dish out.
dfrazier is offline Find More Posts by dfrazier
Old May 01, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
well the only reason y i do not use life batts is that i don't have the support for them. i came from car racing and already had pro chargers and just went with as lipo instead. maybe ill have to switch around my setup and use a 5 cell on the receiver and run the bec to the ignition and test it. If that works ill fly it easy until i get the new bec.

have any of you had any issues with the tygon fuel line curing inside the fuel tank. i think mine got caught up in that small section in the front of the factory tank. when i pulled the fuel out of the tank it wouldn't pull down past 1/4 tank thats when i found my issue for dead stick. I think I'm going to switch to the baby bottle fuel tank and test that one out.
Old May 01, 2012, 11:02 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos2984 View Post
well the only reason y i do not use life batts is that i don't have the support for them. i came from car racing and already had pro chargers and just went with as lipo instead. maybe ill have to switch around my setup and use a 5 cell on the receiver and run the bec to the ignition and test it. If that works ill fly it easy until i get the new bec.

have any of you had any issues with the tygon fuel line curing inside the fuel tank. i think mine got caught up in that small section in the front of the factory tank. when i pulled the fuel out of the tank it wouldn't pull down past 1/4 tank thats when i found my issue for dead stick. I think I'm going to switch to the baby bottle fuel tank and test that one out.
You are not the first to get caught in the "BEC" game.
The peak loads possible are sometimes difficult to correctly see.
Ifyou feel you must use a BEC - go double what is recommended ditto on the Lipo Batteries .
Yes - I far prefer A123 packs
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old May 02, 2012, 07:38 AM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
yea i know people perfer the life packs alot more because its a direct plug into the receiver but i didnt want to buy a charger at the time either. I may have to look into one. What kind of bec are you all running if anything
Old May 02, 2012, 10:32 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,522 Posts
I switched out the CC10 for the CC20 Pro in 3 of my planes. I run all electric and take the power off the main flight pack. I have the same theory as Richard, estimate your needs and double it. The Pro is a very good BEC and has 2 beafy power leads to operate it.

Harry

And set the output for 6v
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Last edited by Harry H; May 02, 2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Added
Old May 02, 2012, 10:54 AM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
yea that what i was setting it to with the first one. Ill have to get a 20amper one and just fly it normaly for now until i get one

thanks guys.