HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:22 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
852 Posts
Discussion
Wowplanes B26 Build Log

I decided to do a build log on a Wow Planes B26 Marauder I had bought last year. The kit is a collection of CNC wire cut Styrofoam pieces some of which must be shaped and hollowed out, and then epoxyed together. I started out with the nose section by carving and sanding to shape insuring that the canopy and nose blister would fit correctly. I then dug out the wheel well for the E-Flight 15 - 25 nose gear servoless retract, epoxyed in a plywood mounting plate, and aligned the steering linkage wire. Moving to the Mid Section I cut three pieces from the inner core and epoxyed one in the front, one at the front of the wing saddle, and one at the rear. The next step was to Epoxy a piece of 1/8" plywood which would later hold the wing mounting blind nut, filling in the gap with 1/16" balsa as per the directions. Lastly I carefully aligned and epoxyed all the Fuselage sections, one at a time.
jbrooks01 is online now Find More Posts by jbrooks01
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:13 PM
Amped UP!
Saint Cloud FL
Joined Jan 2007
705 Posts
continue.....................
AR1516 is offline Find More Posts by AR1516
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:31 PM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
335 Posts
J,

Are you going to be using the Wowplanes Liquid Sheeting on this project?

Looking forward to the progress!

Doug
Demsey is offline Find More Posts by Demsey
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:08 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
852 Posts
I am actually pretty far along on the build, and decided to do a build log up to the point where I am now. Then I will continue from that point. By doing just a section at a time I won't have super long post. The post will come pretty quickly, and yes I use Liquid sheeting. John
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:34 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
852 Posts
After epoxying the fuselage sections together I started on the nacelles. Using a hobby knife and #11 blade I dug out the landing gear bays for the retracts. To make the firewalls I traced the front of the nacelles onto 1/4" plywood and cut them out on my scroll saw, finishing them on my bench sander (X-Mas presents from years ago). I centered my motor mount on the firewall and drilled the holes for the blind nuts to mount the motor. Using a spade bit on my drill I drilled a 9/16" hole in the firewall for the wires which would come from the L/G bay into the engine compartment. Using my hobby knife I cut openings in the front of the nacelles for the wire channel and the blind nut areas, then epoxyed the firewalls to the nacelles. The next step was to epoxy 1/4" plywood cut to fit in the bottom of the L/G bay, I test fitted the retracts ensuring that the L/G wire was 7" from the firewall and drilled the holes to mount the retracts. Here are some pictures, but keep in mind I am retracing my steps. John
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:45 AM
Joined Dec 2005
714 Posts
Hi John,
Glad you are doing a thread on the Wowplanes B26.I built and flew mine 2 years ago.alas my maiden didn't go well,took off too early and the ailerons weren't flying and the torque of the motors took her to the left and I lost control. I have a new kit and will get round to building her-good luck with yours. Just a photo of mine before i crashed !
redtail is offline Find More Posts by redtail
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:35 AM
Pompano Hill Flyer
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Apr 2003
412 Posts
What motors are those?

Thanks,
Amos
egras14 is offline Find More Posts by egras14
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:53 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
852 Posts
Amos, I am using the Heads Up RC 3536-10, with either a set of MAS 9-7-3 or APC 10-7s. Haven't made up my mind yet. Redtail, you did a good job on yours. What was your setup and weight. It looks like mine well be a little over 5 lbs. John
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:02 PM
Amped UP!
Saint Cloud FL
Joined Jan 2007
705 Posts
How do you like the liquid sheeting?
AR1516 is offline Find More Posts by AR1516
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:06 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
852 Posts
The wings are next, and to me they cause the most stress. You have to get them right. I did a test fitting to check for alignment and proper dihedral and found that I had to sand one of the sections to get the dihedral close to correct. All three sections have channels cut out for the spar and servo / power wires to the nacelle, I used these to align the wing sections. I poked some shallow holes in each mating surface with a finishing nail, made a 2" piece of balsa block for under the wing tip, and made balsa pieces coated in Vaseline that would snugly fit in the cable and spar channels. After I slathered 30 Minuit epoxy on both mating surfaces I put the cable channel and spar alignment tools in their channels and pressed the sections together. I wiped off the excess epoxy with a paper towel soaked with alcohol, pressed the two sections together again, put a weight on the center section, put the block under the wing tip, aligned the leading and trailing edges, and butted a large bottle of laundry detergent against the wing tip. After the epoxy dried I used the same technique for the other wing. (Note: When using the kitchen table ensure that the wife has gone shopping for the day, and ensure that you put plastic down). John
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:10 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
852 Posts
AR1516, I really like the liquid sheeting and have never had a problem with it. Having said that I mix the Part B well and measure carefully. John
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:02 AM
Pompano Hill Flyer
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Apr 2003
412 Posts
If the wife walks in have a box of chocolates and flowers at the ready
egras14 is offline Find More Posts by egras14
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:00 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
852 Posts
Back to work on the wings. I used two carbon fiber strips .8 X 25.4 X1000 mm, cut them as per the instructions, and test fitted them to make sure that the dihedral stayed true. Even though the Carbon fiber strips were very thin I still feel they would be stronger (and lighter) than the 1/8"plywood called for in the instructions. As the strips were so thin, I laminated a balsa strip to the carbon fiber and sanded until I had a snug and flush fit in the channels. I cut a piece of 1/16" plywood for the center wing section, mixed up some 40 Minuit epoxy with microballoons, put plenty of the epoxy in the channels and stuffed in the spars and center joiner. I must of used enough epoxy because I had to clean up plenty of it with paper towels and alcohol when I was finished. After filling in the unused part of the channels with scrap foam, and finishing with Light Weight Spackle I sanded the wing smooth and fiberglassed the whole wing using 1/2 oz fiberglass cloth and Zap finishing resin. That should give the wing tensile strength which the liquid sheeting alone does not. After the fiberglass cured, I marked a line 6 1/4" from the outer/inner wing joint on each wing, and marked a centerline on the top of each nacelle. Using these alignment marks I epoxyed the nacelles to the wing. The wing is ready now to try on the fuselage. John
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:53 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,600 Posts
Subscribed. Thinking about picking up the Me-110

Looks good so far,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:14 AM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
852 Posts
Time for the tail feathers. Starting with the horizontal stabilizer, after sculpting the tips (including the elevators) with a sanding block, I epoxyed the three sections together ensuring that I had a 9 degree dihedral. I cut off the rear of the center section as straight as I could using a hobby knife. As I will be fiberglassing all the tail feathers I used 1/16 " balsa instead of plywood for the stabilizer cap, and regaled the center end cap back on. The fiberglass will give me plenty of rigidity. The elevators and rudder needed to be sanded to a 15 degree bevel and caped with 1/16 " balsa using epoxy. The vertical stabilizer is a bit tricker in that you have to make a tunnel for the servo wire, and sand the mating surface so as to fit flush with the round fuselage. I had some 1/2" aluminum tubing that I sharpened for that task, and I just wrapped some 180 grit sandpaper around the fuselage to get the mating surface. I then fiberglassed all the pieces with 1/2 oz fiberglass cloth. After the fiberglass had cured, I test fitted the wing by setting the fuselage on its nose on the kitchen table, ensuring the fuselage was true vertical, marking the center of the wing to the center of the fuselage, and ensured the wing was equal distance from the table surface on both sides. After wrapping it with masking tape and pinning the wing solid with T Pins I slid the horizontal tail into the slot, measured equal distance fuselage to tip, aligned it using the LAR method, and used a sharpie to mark the correct alignment. I untaped the fuse from the table and checked that the H stab was level with the wings on the horizontal axis (luckily it was). I untaped the wings and epoxyed the H stab to the fuselage within the lined I had marked. I test fitted the V stab and marked for the hole through fuselage for the servo wire. I then cut out an opening for the servo wire, stuck two short pieces of C F rod into the V stab and epoxyed it to the fuselage ensuring that it was centered, vertical and aligned fore to aft.