HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:16 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,954 Posts
Mine does drop its nose in turns if I don't pull back some elevator. Now more than ever as it is getting beat up a bit.
There were a couple of times during my first flights that I threw the radio over to my buddy's hands. Mainly, like you say, one loses orientation fast.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:04 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Can this Jet Be flown 4S Stock?

Thanks
Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:21 PM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jun 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushal_22 View Post

Thanks
Mal
Wouldn't try it. My stock Esc fried on 3s 2200 during a short flight after only a few flights.

Norm
Norm62 is offline Find More Posts by Norm62
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:01 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Thanks....this is why i love this Forum
Mal
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:14 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
Mal
As usual, these 64mm EDFs are underpowered "stock". I flew it a couple times on 3S as I did with an Airfield F18 (another really nice EDF!). The 30A in the Stinger wouldn't handle the 4S so I upgraded to a 40A and it is doing fine with 4S 1800-2200 30C. I did open up and angle the vents on either side of the fuselage and make sure the ESC is positioned right in the airflow. I'd say go minimum 40A. Man does it go nice on 4S! Vertical takeoffs
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:21 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
As usual, these 64mm EDFs are underpowered "stock". I flew it a couple times on 3S as I did with an Airfield F18 (another really nice EDF!). The 30A in the Stinger wouldn't handle the 4S so I upgraded to a 40A and it is doing fine with 4S 1800-2200 30C. I did open up and angle the vents on either side of the fuselage and make sure the ESC is positioned right in the airflow. I'd say go minimum 40A. Man does it go nice on 4S! Vertical takeoffs

Did you upgrade the motor? If not how many flights do you have on the stock motor with 4s. Not sure how long the motor will last but I also wanted to try 4s. thanks..
supercollider is online now Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:33 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercollider View Post
Did you upgrade the motor? If not how many flights do you have on the stock motor with 4s. Not sure how long the motor will last but I also wanted to try 4s. thanks..
Stock motor and still going strong. I'd guess 25 or more flights. With 4 S I can do most maneuvers at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. It's so much nicer to have that reserve power. Rudder mod was the best thing I did to this one. I could have made the servo (I call it R2D2!) a little less conspicuous but it only took an hour to do, works great.

I'm sorry that was the F18. The Stinger is stock also and only about a dozen or so flights. Same thrust though, most at 1/2 to 2/3 with plenty of vertical punch when needed. That roll rate on a high speed pass with max rates is pretty impressive! I'm guessing I'm getting 90+/- mph.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:42 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Stock motor and still going strong. I'd guess 25 or more flights. With 4 S I can do most maneuvers at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. It's so much nicer to have that reserve power. Rudder mod was the best thing I did to this one. I could have made the servo (I call it R2D2!) a little less conspicuous but it only took an hour to do, works great.

I'm sorry that was the F18. The Stinger is stock also and only about a dozen or so flights. Same thrust though, most at 1/2 to 2/3 with plenty of vertical punch when needed. That roll rate on a high speed pass with max rates is pretty impressive! I'm guessing I'm getting 90+/- mph.
Even Stock ESC the roll rate is wonderful I wuld like to know how to put in the ESC without "Gutting" this Baby..
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:57 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Even Stock ESC the roll rate is wonderful I wuld like to know how to put in the ESC without "Gutting" this Baby..
Check pages 124 and 134 for some ideas. Mounting the esc outside of the fuse in the duct inlet really cleans up the battery\receiver area. Plus the esc will stay cooler. There are some other pages too but I don't remember them.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:07 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,973 Posts
New motor testing, BE CAREFUL

Today my 2815 4800kv motor arrived
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10923

Supposedly this is only rated for 39A, but commenters claim to have run it over 60 without issues. Don't know for how long though.... My plan is to fly it first with 3S and then (gently) 4s.

Also got a spare 64mm housing: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10586
This requires long mounting screws, but the stock one is fine for now so will just keep this as a spare.
and 7-bladed fan: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4846
I forgot to order a long shaft adapter so this will have to wait :/
Supposedly this pulls an insane amount of amps at higher RPMs so it may end up as workshop decoration.

Wanted to test the (static) Amps and Watts with the new motor vs the old, here are the results:
Stock stinger motor (advertised as 4300KV) and stock 5-blade fan
3s: 280W 26A
4s: 350W 35A

2815 4800kV
3s: 300W 30A
4s*: 350W 30A
*I wimped out at 1/2 throttle, she was SCREAMING and I could barely hold on without deforming the ducting.

When testing the stock motor on 4S at near WOT the fan pulled the crimp-on fan mount right off the motor shaft. I was wearing eye protection but not a glove and the edge of the fan wacked my palm pretty good at damn near full speed (50,000+ rpm). I was expecting to see big gashes in my hand, very luckily it was a glancing blow and all I have are some VERY shallow, thin cuts and pretty nice pain for about 10 minutes. Tomorrow probably bruising, but thank god nothing worse.
For the next tests I screwed down the fan nut harder and wore a thick leather glove (also a full face shield over my safety glasses).
So take car with these things, you may not be as lucky as I!!!
At least I can now report that the pitch of the stock fan blades is ~1" :P

Funny thing about this motor is there's no c-clip on the fan side of the shaft, so if you push on the fan the motor can pushes back, under spring loading (see 3rd pic). Since the fan's force is pulling this shouldn't ever be an issue but I haven't seen this before.

Test was done with a 40A Turnigy Plush ESC but I'll use an extra 65A FMS, mounted outside the fuse.
Kurt is online now Find More Posts by Kurt
Last edited by Kurt; Oct 11, 2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:11 PM
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Sep 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderbrander View Post
If you've flown some quick aircraft then this on 3S should not be a problem. It provides very honest performance on 3S 2200 and is still reasonably light. On 4S it's close to 100mph, gets small fast and the landings are long and floaty. Keep the speed up a little on finals to aviod tip stalls (especially on heavier 4S packs). I also programmed in about 1-2mm of aileron reflex to help prevent tip stall but not sure it really needs it.

Build tips - thrust tube is a great way to improve performance. Straighten out the aileron push rods as per Don's suggestion. Nothing else really to do. My CG is 10mm aft of the stock location as I found it dropped the nose a lot in turns and required lots of down elevator during inverted flight. Others have found the stock CG fine.

Overall it's a great little fun plane that goes EXACTLY where you point it. Enjoy.
Confused on the "stock" CG? Isn't the stock CG a range? Can you tell me in mm from leading edge of wing to where you balance? Thanks!
proline1 is offline Find More Posts by proline1
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:37 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by proline1 View Post
Confused on the "stock" CG? Isn't the stock CG a range? Can you tell me in mm from leading edge of wing to where you balance? Thanks!
The stock cg (per manual) is a little forward. 75 to 80 mm (3 inches), from the leading edge OR at the rear of the finger holes is just about right. I fly with TP1800s and this work perfect. Clear as mud, right?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:47 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Yeah I was adding wieght (and Olt of it) and then found out i didn`t need ANY of it

Mal
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:00 PM
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Sep 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercollider View Post
The stock cg (per manual) is a little forward. 75 to 80 mm (3 inches), from the leading edge OR at the rear of the finger holes is just about right. I fly with TP1800s and this work perfect. Clear as mud, right?
LOL... I'll start at finger hole area as suggested. BTW do you balance the jet inverted or upright? Thanks!
proline1 is offline Find More Posts by proline1
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:13 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
I was just using the Finger holes and keeping it upright..I found with a 1800 Nanotec pack as far forward for my first flights did just fine..after taking a 3OZ of lead from the nose!

Mal