HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2014, 08:52 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Evergreen
Joined Apr 2014
23 Posts
Discussion
New here!

Hi all! I was turned on to RCGroups by a couple of brothers here who have flown for years in the area. They said it's a great group and that I'll fit in, I hope! I thought I'd start here as I fly all nitro planes with the exception of a little foam glider for the park when I can't get out to the field. I've been flying since the mid '80's, seems there were a lot more people flying then compared to now. I saw an Astro Hog thread, cool! I have two and a Hog Bipe. Anyway, not sure how active I'll be, don't fly as much these days either with business booming and traveling so much. Still trying to get the feel of how a board like this works too. I'm interested in the classifieds, more selling than buying so I'll have to figure out how to get pictures posted.
Bsystemwinner is offline Find More Posts by Bsystemwinner
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2014, 09:12 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,165 Posts
B,

Welcome!

Start by forgetting the term 'nitro plane'...
To run it's engine does not need nitromethane, which is merely an additive to the fuel.

It's a glow engine, or a methanol engine.
DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Old Apr 21, 2014, 09:31 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,667 Posts
I have to agree with Dar. I think the Nitro thing came from the car folks not us flyers. No matter, it seems to have contaminated the lexicon badly. It is sort of like sayig your electric powered airplane is a LiPo plane.
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:47 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,143 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think that you'll like it.

I do not fret about using "Nitro", "Glow", or some such thing. But a "Turbo-Charged LiPo Plane" might be overdoing it.

But where did the term "Nitro" first get attached to a RC car? I would bet it came from one of the RC car companies. Probably Associated at the time. It just stuck afterwards. I see if used with RC helicopters too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Apr 21, 2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: add more info
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:56 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2014
23 Posts
That would definitly be an overdue! Never reall got interested in electrics, I've been a 4 stroke guy for years.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:03 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2014
23 Posts
Was just over in the trader talk, boy it seems that group eats it's own! I might think twice before doing a lot of trading.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 02:34 PM
Atl, Ga.
Joined Dec 2012
208 Posts
Hi, don't worry about the correct term usage here. Everybody knows what your talking about, some people have some weird hangups on this nitro thing. Welcome to forum, this is the place to seek and offer advice.
Kurt
capt kurt is offline Find More Posts by capt kurt
Old Apr 21, 2014, 07:02 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,466 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Ya there are a few bunches that have their ways, you will figure them out soon enough. Selling stuff gets people hot under the collar if the first come first served thing isn't followed. Unless the slower guy offers more......... You will get lots of advise here, most of it good, some great. It saves a lot of fiddling around and doing things wrong.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Apr 21, 2014, 08:23 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,534 Posts
Yeah, we got weird hang ups. I even have a techroline engine in my car since I run it on Chevron fuel with techroline additive. Hey since I use 20% castor oil in my glow engines and only 10% nitromethane I must be using castor engines. Or oily engines.
datsunguy is online now Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old Apr 21, 2014, 08:56 PM
rookie
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Dec 2012
546 Posts
umm so why are gas engines not called spark engines. when I was a kid I had glow engines now I have grown old I have nito engines LOL
wilf
wilf370 is offline Find More Posts by wilf370
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:06 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,534 Posts
They ARE called spark ignition engines. What kind of nitro??nitropropane, nitrobenzene. trinitrotoluene? Nitro doesn't narrow it down very much. When I was a kid we used nitrobenzene until it was banned by the AMA as a carcinogen.

I'm 66 and have been using GLOW engines since 1954 and I'm still using GLOIW engines. They have a glow plug and run on glow fuel. What would you call an engine that runs on FAI fuel which has no nitromethane in it? A Non Nitro engine??
datsunguy is online now Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old Apr 22, 2014, 04:13 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,818 Posts
Nitro- non-nitro-glow, gas ?? How does that describe an engine ?

It's actually an OS, Super tiger, Saito, Zenoah, etcetera..
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2014, 08:08 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,466 Posts
40 years ago we called them nitro engines/motors. The uneducated called them gas. That was before the cars were popular as well as the new style gas sparkies. Of course we used no methanol, just nitro, Klotz and 5% castor. I think the glows are a semi diesel. I read that somewhere years ago.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:39 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
992 Posts
While we are at it, a gas engine would be the CO2 driven ones, I guess.
Petrol would be a more correct word, at least in english speaking countries...
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Apr 23, 2014, 08:11 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,466 Posts
British countries maybe. Like the boot, bonnet, and hood. Not in Canadese ;D. I guess you would be right with gas and CO2.