HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:46 PM
United States, CA, Walnut
Joined Apr 2011
36 Posts
Help!
Digital servo Fluttering / shaking (Video posted)

Vibration with digital servo (1 min 3 sec)

I have the same exact problem with my new EXI digital MG servos on my new plane.

Someone on youtube suggest to add a rubber between the stabilizer and the control surface to fix the problem which most people don't like.

Is there any other way to fix it? Would adjusting the deadband help? which programmer would work with EXI servos?

Thanks in advance
Winterdd is offline Find More Posts by Winterdd
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:02 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,419 Posts
http://www.hobbypartz.com/9gexidimeges.html
is this the one you talking about?
if so I have them in my E-Flite extra 260, and the left aileron does the same thing! I changed it out, only too have the next one do the same thing! was told it is just searching for center!
I have done slow fly-bys and never noticed any flutter in the air!
I fly the snot out of my lil extra, it's my go-too plane!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:32 PM
Joined Apr 2011
36 Posts
Whisky,
the one I am using are brand new EXI D227F . they are standard size digital mg servos. I installed them on the dual aileron and both side have the same problem.

yea, they are searching for center which make sense to me.
But, they flutter not only when centered, they also flutter along the travel.
it just stops if I give little pressure on the aileron with my fingers.

When it doesn't look right on the ground, I won't take the chance and put it up in the air.

please help......
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:11 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,419 Posts
the only D227F I think I'm flying right now, is on the rudder of my 78" EXTRA 260, for which I am running a 6v 1600ma (gonna double that) ni-cad!
what voltage are you using? as I have talked ta hobbypartz, and they do not recommend high voltage, I.E. lifpo/lipo/ect.
I do believe I have 2 on my new 60 size EXTRA 330, but havn't had a chance ta maiden yet!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Apr 2011
36 Posts
I am using 6V 2200mah nimh.

This is not my first plane with digital servos, I have small foamies, helis to 30cc birds, all with digital servos installed.
But these are the only servos I have problem with.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:33 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,419 Posts
I wish I was feeling better right now! as I have just installed one in each wing of my 1/4 scale PITTS! haven't had a chance to power them up yet!

can I ASSUME that you are having problems with all of them? cuase I had some issues with a couple solar servo's, called hobbypartz, and had 2 new servo's in the mail!

all I can say, is my 9gm exi servo does the same thing as you have in your video when I turn the switch on! and I have never had any issues once airborn.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:47 PM
Joined Apr 2011
36 Posts
The solars on my other planes are fine. I only have problem with the 2 EXI.

Did little research and sum up some ideas.
1. Servo searching for center. Suggested to adjust the dead band by a programmer, but I dont have one.
2. enlarge the hole on the control horn. (not work for me)
3. sub trim the servo to another point (I will give it a try)
4. Reset the model setup on TX. (I don't think that would work, since I have already triple check the settings.
5. move the linkage to other holes on the servo horn and control horn. (don't really want to do that in returns of losing throws.

Anyone?
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:07 AM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2011
1,220 Posts
I had the same thing on a Hitec HD645mg. I got 8 of them and was putting them in the plane. On one of the wings I got the same thing it would flutter like crazy. I took it out put another in and that was ok. I used the one that was fluttering somewhere else in the plane and it has been fine and hasn't happened again. These are analog servos's
FloridaFlyBob is offline Find More Posts by FloridaFlyBob
Old Mar 01, 2013, 12:35 PM
Joined Apr 2011
36 Posts
The flutters usually happen on digital servos, first time I heard it on analog.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 12:42 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,419 Posts
as far as I know , the EXI servo's are not programmable!

have you started the engine? the flutter I get with my 9g servo's, goes away once I start the engine, that's why it doesn't bother me to fly with them that way!

100_0183 (1 min 19 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by whiskykid; Mar 01, 2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 01:47 PM
Joined Apr 2011
36 Posts
I contacted hobbypartz and showed them the video. they said the servos are defective.

I haven't start the engine yet.
yea,I guess that should goes away when the engine is running. but, I that is still not normal....
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:17 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,216 Posts
I have had this issue on my large gassers I was using hitec servos I called hitec and was told that the servo is constantly seeking center and will stop with air load. As seen when you touch the control surface.... I have flown the gasser many times with no issues. If it were me I'd change that ez connector on the control surface as they fail very easy
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:27 AM
Joined Apr 2011
36 Posts
oops, sorry, I should say it at the beginning, that is not my video, I just found it on youtube. Thanks for your advice. anyway. So, what hitec saying was, in other words, the flutterings are normal...
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:02 AM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
687 Posts
My first thought is replace the servos with better quality ones. But I have had the same problem with high end vary expensive servos and what I did was first, make sure the wires and extenions are not tangled up and they are not touching other wires. This will sometimes cause interferance and make servos flutter. Second make sure that the control surface is free and not binding anywhere. a surface that is not freely moving can cause the servo to constantly serch for center. Also check the linkage and insure that it it tight but not binding.

After you do all of that and it does not fix the issue you need to replace or send those servos back where you got them from, most likly a bad POT, potentiomater, I know I spelled that wrong but it's the thing that centers the servo.
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:06 AM
Joined Apr 2011
36 Posts
yea, I tried all that.

I end up replaced them with hitecs and they work great....
Can't wait to maiden on this weekend.