SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:08 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,765 Posts
Hey Pat,

Here are the photos I took this morning of our Anson. The workmanship is surprisingly rough; I'm not sure if this is indicative of the standard of finishing applied during the war or an artefact of the restoration process. In any event, the plywood areas are indeed covered with doped-over fabric, and any seams or lines of rivets, screws, nails or whatever have rib tapes doped over them as well. Some of the photos are of relatively poor quality as I'm not much of a photographer. Hope these help.

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2014, 04:58 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,858 Posts
Steve - thanks mate I've now had good folk photograph an example at Wigram in NZ and now Canada and I get basically the same impression - this is no slick, slippery polished machine. And thanks for the observations - exactly what I was hoping. The pressure is off for a fine, 'museum quality' finish

I wanted to get the cockpit windows as right as I was able and so after the mockup version, I cut the upper frame from 1/8 bass ply and created dummy panes from 1/16 balsa to prove to myself the panes would be flat! Then I was able to mortise small slots in the FG/balsa/ply fuselage around the window area and fit the 1/16 X 1/8 frame members. The lower ends are not glued into the slots at this stage and the whole shebang is removable.
Next will be to trim the fuselage just below the triangular side windows to match the different-than-plan windows and think about the fairing around the base of the glazing. Patience is a virtue so they say

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
Old Oct 23, 2014, 05:19 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,858 Posts
This picture copied from a book I bought (yes-I do that sometimes!) show the cockpit glazing structure while under construction. The top glazing seems to be one large panel with structure being added inside (and ultimately I think, outside too). Also shown is the lower fairing in front of the windscreen that I am pondering.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 12:33 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,858 Posts
The embryonic frame was pushed into place and the fairing/coaming bit around the base made up from 1/32 ply and a bit of body-putty to round off the junction. More work on that at a later date.
The whole frame assembly is being made removable until the model is finished - in my workshop, it is bound to get damaged!
The area occupied by a rather daunting instrument panel has been painted interior green but will be covered completely later. Due to structural constraints in the Hutson design, the right side of the panel is mostly filled in - the real aircraft has all of that side missing as it is the access into the bomb-aimers position up front. If I cut it away, an extra former would need to be fitted behind somehow. I'll fudge something up
Next I'll tackle the top part of the glazing - a plug needs to be made for shaping a clear plastic piece.
Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 01:21 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,858 Posts
A days hacking and slashing at some glued-together offcuts of pine produced a plug for forming the cockpit roof glazing. I was unsure how well-finished it needed to be so a test piece of thin plastic was heated and 'stretched over the plug. No grain marks - only some dust specks I hadn't cleaned off. So I can assume a thicker plastic should come out fine I'll also 'pull' a piece of .5mm white styrene to cut up for frames etc.
Tomorrow is flying day (weather permitting) so maybe not much will be done on Annie.
Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 02:48 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Lynch View Post
I'll also 'pull' a piece of .5mm white styrene to cut up for frames etc.
What an inspirational idea! That may have solved one of my problems!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink