SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:16 PM
Obeying the law of gravity
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
Discussion
DX6i tutorials

So, I'm thinking of doing a whole series of DX6i tutorials. Do you think that they would be useful to many people? I think the DX6i is a fairly popular beginner radio, so it would probably be pretty useful to beginners. Here's a link to my first video. Let me know if you guys think this would be useful to beginners.

DX6i Tutorial #1: Setting up a new model in the Spektrum DX6i (5 min 21 sec)
Jeremy Kamutzki is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Kamutzki
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:46 PM
I just want to fly
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
1,084 Posts
I don’t think they would be useful.
First if you’re going to show something in a video it has to be focused at all times, and the sound needs to be intelligible.
Second there are already dozens of these things on YouTube.

David
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:05 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,505 Posts
Such tutorials could be very useful. Although there are quite a few already, there is always room for new ones if they do the job better.

Unfortunately this one falls short in some crucial areas. But they are correctable.

First, the video must be technically good. The image must be steady and the screen must be easy to read (which may require back lighting). The camera must be mounted above the table and the transmitter must be solidly on the table (at least when the screen is being shown). Also, the sound must be really clear. There are problems in all these areas.

Second, the planning of the presentation must be carefully done the lesson should proceed at a pace that the novice can follow. Material should be presented in bite-size chunks. This one tries to do far too much in 5 minutes and consequently has to run far too rapidly.

Some of the best tutorials on RC subjects are those of Finless on the Helifreak forums. I suggest you take a look at how he does it and think again about your approach.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:45 PM
Obeying the law of gravity
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Such tutorials could be very useful. Although there are quite a few already, there is always room for new ones if they do the job better.

Unfortunately this one falls short in some crucial areas. But they are correctable.

First, the video must be technically good. The image must be steady and the screen must be easy to read (which may require back lighting). The camera must be mounted above the table and the transmitter must be solidly on the table (at least when the screen is being shown). Also, the sound must be really clear. There are problems in all these areas.

Second, the planning of the presentation must be carefully done the lesson should proceed at a pace that the novice can follow. Material should be presented in bite-size chunks. This one tries to do far too much in 5 minutes and consequently has to run far too rapidly.

Some of the best tutorials on RC subjects are those of Finless on the Helifreak forums. I suggest you take a look at how he does it and think again about your approach.
ok. thanks for the tips. I will try to incorrporate them all. I know the video quality isn't great, so I'll have to experiment with that and I should probably plan out what to say ahead of time so I'm not thinking on the spot.

as far as time goes, are you suggesting I cover more content with a longer video or the same content with several shorter videos?
Jeremy Kamutzki is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Kamutzki