HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:51 PM
AZ Outback
Joined Dec 2000
1,350 Posts
Contest
FAI F5J 2013 New Years day and Janurary and Feburary

Since at some point in time it will necessary to create a team select for WC in F5J, I would like to have at least a RC-Group competition, to demonstrate what is going on in the world and the possible equipment that would be successful on a WC level.

At this point in time I am hosting a New Years day, and Janurary competition for F5J.

The rules are below and only represent a generalize competition, however realize in almost every round at a World level someone always makes time and a landing of 50 points. Since current rules allow for a 30s motor run, in the 10minute flight window it will be possible to do exactly 10:00 minutes of flight time. So starting height becomes the discrimnator for the final score as you have 1/2pt subtracted from you total score for each meter of vertical height you launch to, and 3pts per meter if your starting height is 200M or more.

To normalize your score I will have to do a little math.

You will have three values, starting height in meters ( -.5 points per meter), flight ime 1 point per second, and landing points up to 100pts.

Example:

starting height 150M so -0.5 X 150 = -75.0 pts

flight time 9:58s or 9min x 60pts + 58s x 1pt = 598.0 pts

landing points say 45pts

total 568 pts (raw score)

If this where the highest point total flying againt five other competitors then you would receive 1000pts for the round. If the second highest raw score was 550pt then this pilot would receive 550/568 X 1000pt = 968.83pts

As you can see only 18pts(raw score) or maybe just a height difference of 36M with each having the same flight and landing seperated the two scores. So in the current rules starting height is a major player in determining final scores.

Since I do not see more than 6 to 12 scores on New Years or Janurary I will just normalize for the group once you have entered your raw scores.

You may submit only one score for New Years and a new single score of Janurary. At the end of the month, all raw scores will be normalized.

The final requirement is you must submit a graph from your flight recording showing starting height and landing time, I will just trust everyone on landing points. Pictures and equipment list are always welcome.

I realize this event will only appeal to a very small group of pilots as does F5B and F5D, but at least we will have some pilots looking at a new and very diffcult event on the World level of flying.

Please remember anyone with a electric sailplane height recorder and landing tape can fly this event.

FAI F5J generalized
TASK: Fly one 10min flight.

1. Any airframe, battery, ESC, prop, motor maybe used. To FAI limits.
2. 10:00 minute window, with flight points starting on launch. Over flying window 0 landing points.
3. A device to record flight starting height, after a 30s or less motor run, at the beginning of the window. To establish starting height fly level for 10s after motor run.
4. .5pts subtracted for each meter of starting height, 3pts subtracted for each meter above 200M, from possible 10minute flight time ((600pts or number of flight seconds) - (starting height(.5 or/and 3))).
5. 50pt. landing tape, - 5pts per meter from 50pt end of tape. Landing points will just be added on since you are not flying in a group to normalize scores.

Hope you can joins us for the fun.
Robert Burson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Burson
Last edited by Robert Burson; Feb 12, 2013 at 10:57 AM. Reason: units
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:01 AM
AZ Outback
Joined Dec 2000
1,350 Posts
Some of the equipment used during provisional events in Europe.
Last edited by Robert Burson; Dec 28, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:47 AM
AZ Outback
Joined Dec 2000
1,350 Posts
Finals group of flyers from Eurotour, in 2012
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:54 AM
Miamisburg OH
Joined Dec 2003
486 Posts
Bob

Now that you are in the sunny southwest you will need to change your avatar. Or are you missing the snow, ice, wind and cold?

John Lueke
John Lueke is offline Find More Posts by John Lueke
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:11 AM
AZ Outback
Joined Dec 2000
1,350 Posts
Hi John,

We do have snow here, but it is usually gone by noon. I am two hours from Phoenix and Flagstaff, so warm sun or snow skiing on any day, this time of year. Hope you have a great New Years.

The Best Soaring
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:21 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Feb 2005
196 Posts
Hello Robert, I hope you are doing well.

Quick questions:

1) Is it needed to be registered before the 1st Jan?
2) I understand you are not following FAI rules for altitude over 200m, isn't it?

I'm preparing a team meeting for New Years day here in Madrid and wanted to include many people as possible.

Thanks, Javier.
jawarejj is offline Find More Posts by jawarejj
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:48 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Sep 2006
53 Posts
F5J Australia

Hi Robert

Paul Osmond from Australia

We have been flying F5j Comp rules for the past 18 months and took part in the Euro F5J challenge to gage wear we were in the development of the class, the past 12months has seen a definite increase in participation. the choice of equipment has been very diverse from the humble Radian which has equipped its self very well to the hi-tech composite gliders but it is apparent that the use of large 3.2 mt plus gliders do the best overall.
I currently use a Supper AVA 4 flap as my light air model and a Suppra Ultra Light Hybrid as my general purpose model .
I hope to submit a score for January 1 to aid in the comparison of the Class i will add photos and height extracts .
All the best for the New Year

Regards Paul
ozzy1 is online now Find More Posts by ozzy1
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:47 AM
AZ Outback
Joined Dec 2000
1,350 Posts
Javier,

Happy New Years Eve from the US, no you do not have to sign-up before you fly, I am making this as easy as possible for everyone. New Years Day will be the only day as a date, the rest of January is open to when you can fly, so everyone can decide what works best for them. Thank You for the 200M reminder, I did that once and it was so terrible on my score I never when over the height again, but I will fix that in the first post.
You always supply great photos, so I am looking forward to even more.

Happy New Years

Robert
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:57 AM
AZ Outback
Joined Dec 2000
1,350 Posts
Paul,
Thank You, for the overview, of what is happening in the land of down under. The more information the better, the US is a little slower to respond to new rule sets, so I am hoping we can start to have a few events, here in the US. The only new requirement is to have a starting height recording on the score sheet, I think this will be a problem for a while until we develop a little more experience. I see some where in the future, our planes will send this wireless to an app which records the starting height of each plane, for each round, but that maybe some time in the future.

Happy New Years

Robert
Last edited by Robert Burson; Dec 31, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:06 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Feb 2005
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Burson View Post
Javier,

Happy New Years Eve from the US, no you do not have to sign-up before you fly, I am making this as easy as possible for everyone. New Years Day will be the only day as a date, the rest of January is open to when you can fly, so everyone can decide what works best for them. Thank You for the 200M reminder, I did that once and it was so terrible on my score I never when over the height again, but I will fix that in the first post.
You always supply great photos, so I am looking forward to even more.

Happy New Years

Robert
Thanks Robert, here you have some pics from today's flights.
http://f5j.es/2013/01/01/comenzando-...e-el-ano-2013/

I'll send you the flight logs as soon as we can.

jawarejj is offline Find More Posts by jawarejj
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:23 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Sep 2006
53 Posts
Flight resault 1-1-13

Hi Robert
Hear is my first entry as you can see in the pics the weather was very foggy had to wait a wile befor i could get a flight in there was not much lifit to be had so had to use more motor than than i would like .

Recorded flight
time 9.53 = 593
Launch hight 174.7 = 87.35 -
Landing inside 1 mt = 45

total 550.65

Name: F5J 1-1-13.jpg
Views: 106
Size: 86.4 KB
Description: Flight data recording Name: 100_0958.jpg
Views: 95
Size: 166.4 KB
Description: Fog, Fog, Fog Name: 100_0959.jpg
Views: 114
Size: 309.8 KB
Description: Landing spot

Best Regards Paul
ozzy1 is online now Find More Posts by ozzy1
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:30 PM
AZ Outback
Joined Dec 2000
1,350 Posts
Great New Years weather in Mesa, AZ. Got out to the field around noon, and launched around 12:30 in light winds, and 90% sun with high cirrus taking the rest. Good launch height and time at 9:57.7 and 50pts. As soon as I find the cable to the F5J height recorder, still not unpacked from the move to the West, I will post up my score.

The Best Soaring

Robert
Last edited by Robert Burson; Jan 01, 2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: pics
Old Dec 06, 2013, 02:55 AM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
HI Robert my name is POP Vasile-Petre and I am from Brasov Romania, and I try to organize an F5J contes her in Brasov; so please tell me weer I can find Recording devices and software
For this class (F5J).

Best regards: POP Vasile-Petre
rovasipop is offline Find More Posts by rovasipop