SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:06 AM
Marlborough, Massachussetts, United States
Joined May 2002
1,875 Posts
Any news on shipping pre-cut kits with MPF?

I'm teaching an adult-ed class at a local high-school on building and flying RC planes. I have 10 adult students. I made templates and traced the patterns on MPF, then had the students cut out their own planes. Tracing the patterns on the foam took several hours, and the cutting out process did not go as smoothly as I hoped it would. I'm considering using pre-cut kits next time...
BrianRickman is offline Find More Posts by BrianRickman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:28 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRickman View Post
Any news on shipping pre-cut kits with MPF?

I'm teaching an adult-ed class at a local high-school on building and flying RC planes. I have 10 adult students. I made templates and traced the patterns on MPF, then had the students cut out their own planes. Tracing the patterns on the foam took several hours, and the cutting out process did not go as smoothly as I hoped it would. I'm considering using pre-cut kits next time...
I do provide kits cut from MPF. Just shipped out box today with half the foam cut into kits. Kits are discounted because the customer has paid for the material up front.

Currently I handle this through a PayPal invoice.
Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:48 PM
Joined May 2002
1,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
I do provide kits cut from MPF. Just shipped out box today with half the foam cut into kits. Kits are discounted because the customer has paid for the material up front.

Currently I handle this through a PayPal invoice.
Ken
Sounds good. I don't see info about this service on the MPF website. Should I be looking somewhere else?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 01:45 PM
Joined Apr 2012
432 Posts
http://KensCADmodels.com
XDmToter is offline Find More Posts by XDmToter
Old Oct 16, 2014, 01:47 PM
Joined May 2002
1,875 Posts
Thanks
Old Oct 16, 2014, 02:27 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,755 Posts
By the same token, if you would like kits from onesheetkits.us, the same situation will apply. I really don't want to have to figure out how to build all the options into the MPF site. (Not that much of a geek i guess )So handling kit/foam orders will be done on a more "personal basis" . I will add a note to the site that it is an option and include how to contact us to discuss the details.

I should also note that we received a shipment of carbon fiber sections and are back in stock with everything except .047" and.188" wire. I will update the site today.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2014, 02:35 PM
Joined May 2002
1,875 Posts
Sounds good. Thanks.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 02:49 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,755 Posts
Brian, It just occurred to me that it might be cool if you take a pic of your class and their planes or just the planes for our gallery. If you take one, just email it to contactus@modelplanefoam.com.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2014, 03:02 PM
Joined May 2002
1,875 Posts
Sure. We'll be finishing the build part of the class next week. I'll get a group shot of the proud students with their finished planes.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 03:03 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,755 Posts
sweet! Tell them they'll be famous! well.....kinda famous!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2014, 03:35 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRickman View Post
Tracing the patterns on the foam took several hours, and the cutting out process did not go as smoothly as I hoped it would. I'm considering using pre-cut kits next time...
So, don't trace the patterns, just cut around the pattern (stuck down with glue stick.) I've -never- traced an outline because it introduces another level of inaccuracy. Or make two aluminum templates that can hotwire a stack of 10 at a time. (The servo holes are always a different issue.)

Or, for a -101 level class, for people still learning how to handle a hobby knife, use a Firefly style which is nothing but straight line cuts and cutting with a straightedge removes all the guesswork.

There are plenty of 'foamie ARF' kits out there, cut out and painted, in the $40-$60 range, -because- they're cut out and painted (plus $5 random accessory assembly parts.) That's the whole point of DIY, to remove the 'manufactured' costs, and to learn handcraft skills.

I think it's *great* that you're doing the class. Flying a plane is a terrific accomplishment, but with the 'I built that thing' in the back of the mind is priceless.
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk