SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by jokeane, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 06:03 PM
"Spark Chaser"
United States, WI, Middleton
Joined Jun 2004
351 Posts
Discussion
Durafly Cessna 182 55" (1.4m) Wingspan

The other part of my recent HK order, a Durafly Cessna 182 in EPO foam. This one took a bit more work to assemble. Another kit which came with servos, ESC and motor. But in this case I think the quality of the servos, ESC and motor are less impressive that the Pitts. I just had to add RX and a 2200mAH 3S lipo pack.

On the up side, the foam seems durable. Similar to Multiplex Elapor foam. Downside is that the plane is pretty hefty, 3lb 4oz ready to fly. The plane has fully functional flaps and nice scale details which is definitely better than most foamy planes. From what I've read, it should be more of a scale style flyer.

I plan to use this as a trainer for teaching friends to fly using a buddy box setup.
jokeane is offline Find More Posts by jokeane
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Le Fish aerobatic slope glider
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2011, 06:37 PM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokeane View Post
The other part of my recent HK order, a Durafly Cessna 182 in EPO foam. This one took a bit more work to assemble. Another kit which came with servos, ESC and motor. But in this case I think the quality of the servos, ESC and motor are less impressive that the Pitts. I just had to add RX and a 2200mAH 3S lipo pack.

On the up side, the foam seems durable. Similar to Multiplex Elapor foam. Downside is that the plane is pretty hefty, 3lb 4oz ready to fly. The plane has fully functional flaps and nice scale details which is definitely better than most foamy planes. From what I've read, it should be more of a scale style flyer.

I plan to use this as a trainer for teaching friends to fly using a buddy box setup.
I just ordered one of these and hopefully, will teach my son in law to fly with it. There was nothing in my current stable of aircraft he could possibly learn on. Since your initial post, have you had an opportunity to fly it? I would like to hear your experience with it if possible. Did you encounter any difficulties in assembling and setting it up? I noticed you switched out the prop to an 11x8 - are you any concerned it may pull too many amps with that prop? It's really a great looking model for the money. We could only have dreamed of having an airplane with those features, for that price, some years ago.
daddyrabbit1954 is offline Find More Posts by daddyrabbit1954
Old May 07, 2011, 11:56 AM
"Spark Chaser"
United States, WI, Middleton
Joined Jun 2004
351 Posts
Yes, I have flown it... flies great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyrabbit1954 View Post
I just ordered one of these and hopefully, will teach my son in law to fly with it. There was nothing in my current stable of aircraft he could possibly learn on. Since your initial post, have you had an opportunity to fly it? I would like to hear your experience with it if possible. Did you encounter any difficulties in assembling and setting it up? I noticed you switched out the prop to an 11x8 - are you any concerned it may pull too many amps with that prop? It's really a great looking model for the money. We could only have dreamed of having an airplane with those features, for that price, some years ago.
The 11x8 does pull more amps. It flew very well. Nice speed and great thrust.

Flaps worked great. I'm going to turn up the ailerons throws a bit, but otherwise it controlled very nicely.

Only problem was that the 11" prop was hard to clear the grass on the field I fly at. I will try the stock 10x5" prop to see what that is like, although everyone says it is underpropped with this prop. If that one doesn't work, I'll try an APC 10x7E.
jokeane is offline Find More Posts by jokeane
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Le Fish aerobatic slope glider
Old May 07, 2011, 10:57 PM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokeane View Post
The 11x8 does pull more amps. It flew very well. Nice speed and great thrust.

Flaps worked great. I'm going to turn up the ailerons throws a bit, but otherwise it controlled very nicely.

Only problem was that the 11" prop was hard to clear the grass on the field I fly at. I will try the stock 10x5" prop to see what that is like, although everyone says it is underpropped with this prop. If that one doesn't work, I'll try an APC 10x7E.
Thanks for the report. I am looking forward to receiving mine and getting it set up. Did you use everything stock except the prop? What size battery and how much flight-time you are getting?
daddyrabbit1954 is offline Find More Posts by daddyrabbit1954
Old May 08, 2011, 06:59 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
What's the COG on this beast again?
Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy