HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 02, 2011, 06:21 PM
placentia, ca.
Joined Mar 2008
99 Posts
ok then....thanks for the replies! then is this the next recommended keychain camera or are you guys still doing the prelimanary testings and shall we wait for the conclusion, btw...pictures looks great ?
apok is offline Find More Posts by apok
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2011, 06:27 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apok View Post
ok then....thanks for the replies! then is this the next recommended keychain camera or are you guys still doing the prelimanary testings and shall we wait for the conclusion, btw...pictures looks great ?
If you like the picture, what will you wait for? Lower prices may come, but it would likely be many, many months (as I found with the old 808) if they come at all. We are giving feedback to the vendors on things we would like to see added, but there's no beta testing that I know of going on.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 02, 2011, 06:32 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,428 Posts
Here's another seller, I have no experience with him, he sells with or without cards

http://cgi.ebay.com/HD-Car-Key-Camer...item4aa74298b8
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 02, 2011, 06:36 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apok View Post
Mine works great. It plays in Windows 7 media player. There are plenty of freeware editing and conversion programs that you can download to trim and adjust your video.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 06:42 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Yabba is a computer Geek

Hey guys, I DID IT !!!

All by myself even Just by following post #12's instructions

Check out the lower right corner and don't say nuthin about my messy bench Nakelp, pay backs are tuff )

HD No Timestamp (0 min 12 sec)

Yabba

Next up, focusing for distance !!!
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Last edited by Yabba; Jan 02, 2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:28 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
Hey guys, I DID IT !!!

All by myself even Just by following post #12's instructions
Ha, I figured you'd eventually try it. Nice drone, where can I get my hands on one of those? Answered this on my own, the MQ-9
I flew my hd cam in the wind this morning and had a lot of wavy jello footage. Do you just velcro mount your cam? Strap it down or what?
lostheli is offline Find More Posts by lostheli
Last edited by lostheli; Jan 02, 2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:47 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,569 Posts
Yabba,

Congrats.

Were you nervous?

Focus is easy. Two screws and open it up. Small needle nose plier and screw it in to focus further out. Screw it out to bring the focus closer. On my two #3's it took 1/4 turn in to improve the focus for distance shots. I found it was better to test with a video then the webcam.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:51 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
. . . but there's no beta testing that I know of going on.
Didn't you know you guys are the beta testers? The evil scheme is to throw it out on the market and let the guys at RCG work out all the kinks.

Tony (only half joking)
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jan 02, 2011, 08:17 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
WOW how did this thread get to 9 pages in just 4-5 days?
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Old Jan 02, 2011, 08:20 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etman View Post
WOW how did this thread get to 9 pages in just 4-5 days?
We burned up a page of bandwidth listening to me whine about not being able to remove the time stamp. Eventually, I was successful.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 08:37 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Thanks tom for the editing tips.

P.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:28 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostheli View Post
Ha, I figured you'd eventually try it. Nice drone, where can I get my hands on one of those? Answered this on my own, the MQ-9
I flew my hd cam in the wind this morning and had a lot of wavy jello footage. Do you just velcro mount your cam? Strap it down or what?
Yeah, I knew I'd try it too. It was just a matter of screwing up my courage abit. Kind of like when you perform surgery on a lipo pack to remove a bad cell, you kind of have to be in the right frame of mind and figure "what the hell, what's the worse that can happen, burn down the house or something?"

On my Radian, I just use velco only but I mount it about 6 inches out on the wing just forward of the high point so the camera is pointing at a downward angle. Plus, remember, the Radian is a powered sailplane so once at altitude I cut the throttle so there isn't any motor vibration at all.

Another good spot on the Radian is the obvious spot right behind the canopy on top of the fuse. You can point it fore,aft or sideways but once again, no motor = no jello.

On my Taylorcraft and Beaver I mount it at several different spots but always on a hard point (center sheeting, bulkhead, wing servo plywood cover etc.) and I try to mount it as solid as possible because I don't have the luxuary of throttle off so there is always some vibration.

I use blue painters tape to secure the camera to a solid spot.

On the 808HD videos taken with the Taylorcraft I tried a new mounting idea. I used a piece of triangular trailing edge stock mounted to the plywood aileron servo cover on the bottom of the wing to help angle the camera down. The problem has been that I prefer to mount my camera right side up but my camera buttons are so touchy that I had to just use velcro between the camera and the te stock so the camera hung rather loosely or it would shut off when snugged up tight. This has resulted in a lot of waviness in the vids using this mount. I am trying to come up with a better mount.

My blog has a video of the Beav (#3 non HD) and the way I mounted it straight to the bulkhead.

These HD cameras are really great, we just need a better way to mount because they seem to accentuate thewaviness.

Yabba
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:31 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Yabba,

Congrats.

Were you nervous?

Focus is easy. Two screws and open it up. Small needle nose plier and screw it in to focus further out. Screw it out to bring the focus closer. On my two #3's it took 1/4 turn in to improve the focus for distance shots. I found it was better to test with a video then the webcam.

Bill
Nervous? Moi ? I knew for sure I was going to let the magic smoke out.

I'm going to try to focus sometime this week. I'll probably just take my laptop to the soccer field, shoot a clip, check it and do again until I get it right.

1/4 in. Ok, I start with going in a little at a time. Thanks Bill
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:59 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
Nervous? Moi ? I knew for sure I was going to let the magic smoke out.

I'm going to try to focus sometime this week. I'll probably just take my laptop to the soccer field, shoot a clip, check it and do again until I get it right.

1/4 in. Ok, I start with going in a little at a time. Thanks Bill
Just shoot down that fence and see where the fence is most in focus.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:28 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,569 Posts
Yabba,

I tried the 1/4 turn clockwise adjustment in the evening watch Sunday night football. 1/4 turn clockwise appears to be too much and the indoor videos from 2 feet to 10 feet were out of focus. So, I dialed it back to 1/16th of turn clockwise and will test it tomorrow in daylight.

Bill

EDIT:

During the day on Monday I took another video and I didn't like it. I have returned the focus to the factory setting.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 03, 2011 at 11:14 AM.
Closed Thread