HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:40 AM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Not home right now. If anyone can confirm that the end stage balancing time is indeed less please report back......thanks!
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:48 AM
Electric Helis is my game
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Actual balancing wont be faster, it was termination that was the problem.
Big parallel charges will always take time if balancing is needed as discussed previously in the other thread
MrMel is offline Find More Posts by MrMel
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:58 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2009
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMel View Post
EOS firmware 5.86 is now released

It's a service firmware with two fixes
- Termination of storage charge at low charge rate (less than 1C) now works properly.
- When using EOS suite there is no overlap in commands that cause delay, if you uses temporary fix before of raising command delay you can now lower it back to 40-80 or so.

Note: IR reading is lower than 5.52 and earlier firmware, this is on purpose to be aligned a bit more with the rest of the chargers on the market.

Firmware is found on http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/pc/eosfw586.html
I don't necessarily want the IR to be more in line with the rest of the chargers on the market. What I do want is for the measured IR to be as close as possible to reality.

What I also want is the IR to be calculated and displayed while storage charging. In firmware 5.82 the IR is always zero while storage charging. Is this remedied in 5.86? Thanks.
3Dmuse is offline Find More Posts by 3Dmuse
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:00 AM
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Quote:
I don't necessarily want the IR to be more in line with the rest of the chargers on the market. What I do want is for the measured IR to be as close as possible to reality.
There is multiple ways of measuring, so all are correct, depending on what view you have.
The method now is most closely to what is regarded as Cell IR
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:19 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2009
449 Posts
Quote:
There is multiple ways of measuring, so all are correct, depending on what view you have.
That's good to know, thanks. What I would also like is for the IR to be calculated and displayed while storage charging. In firmware 5.82 the IR is always zero while storage charging. Is this remedied in 5.86?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:30 AM
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
No, IR readings are only at charge or discharge in 5.86.
(you should always use same charge level for comparison of IR so you should only look at it at fully charged packs, and at same temperature as both state of charge and temp will greatly affect)
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:32 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2009
449 Posts
Quote:
No, IR readings are only at charge or discharge in 5.86.
(you should always use same charge level for comparison of IR so you should only look at it at fully charged packs, and at same temperature as both state of charge and temp will greatly affect)
Good info. Thank you.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:31 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,157 Posts
Mr Mel is correct. IR is a function of how you measure it. The closest to reality I know is the Wayne Giles ESR /IR meter which puts a significant load (16A) on the pack for long enough to get the stable DC discharge current. It is purpose designed for our LiPo packs, is very precise and is as close to the sorts of operating conditions we use to give a realistic IR reading.

The only charger that I have that does a similar test is the iCharger. Chargers like the Hyperions and FMA Powerlab measure IR by comparing the voltage during charge and the resting voltage when they turn off the charge current briefly. This is not the same conditions as a discharge but these chargers can give excellent results. My testing shows they become different as the cell IR gets high in old packs.

The new Hyperion firmware gives results that agree very closely with the ESR meter and iCharger and my judgment is that it is the best charger IR method I have seen (since the iCharger is accurate but limited to 1 mOhm resolution). The old firmware gave unrealistically high IR values and was not recommended by folks on the IR threads.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dmuse View Post
Quote:
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:27 PM
Atleast It's in one piece
United Kingdom, North Weald Bassett
Joined Nov 2008
404 Posts
Hi All

Can somebody advice me if updating my 720i v1 from firmware 4.7 to the latest version would give a worthwhile improvement.
I have just found somewhere that can supply the usb adapter and wiring harness which I guess may be a bit hard to get hold of now .
Also am I right in thinking I have to go to version 5 before loading the latest firmware.
Arcright
Arcright is offline Find More Posts by Arcright
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:24 AM
Norway
Joined Sep 2008
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcright View Post
Hi All

Can somebody advice me if updating my 720i v1 from firmware 4.7 to the latest version would give a worthwhile improvement.
I have just found somewhere that can supply the usb adapter and wiring harness which I guess may be a bit hard to get hold of now .
Also am I right in thinking I have to go to version 5 before loading the latest firmware.
Arcright
http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/pc/eosfw.htm

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/
Doffen24 is offline Find More Posts by Doffen24
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:12 PM
Atleast It's in one piece
United Kingdom, North Weald Bassett
Joined Nov 2008
404 Posts
Thanks Doffen I had seen one of those pages but what I was hoping for was for someone who had completed the upgrade to say if they thought there was a noticeable difference. I have just bought a new 720i v1 so now wonder if I should buy the usb and harness (which are a bit expensive )and update both or leave them as they are .
Arcright
Arcright is offline Find More Posts by Arcright
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:54 PM
NB Canada
Joined Apr 2008
458 Posts
Max charge rate

So some lipos (Thunder power for example) can be charged at 12c. Is there a way to do this on my Hyperion? The limit seems to be 5c.
Beckler is offline Find More Posts by Beckler
Old Mar 01, 2013, 06:15 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
For those of you parallel charging with the 720, is it taking forever to balance charge? It is taking me twice as long now, kind of defeats the purpose.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:06 AM
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
For those of you parallel charging with the 720, is it taking forever to balance charge? It is taking me twice as long now, kind of defeats the purpose.

Harry
Hyperion has "only" 300 ma balancing power, if your packs need balancing there is only so much it can do.

If you run the suite you can see how much goes time where etc
Make sure you run 5.86
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:08 AM
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler View Post
So some lipos (Thunder power for example) can be charged at 12c. Is there a way to do this on my Hyperion? The limit seems to be 5c.
You can fool the charger with size of packs to make whatever max C you will, but max wattage will rule over that anyway.

Plus imhop anything above 5-6 C has zero gain