HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:45 PM
United States, TX, Irving
Joined Jun 2010
129 Posts
Build Log
P-47 Thunderbolt - Keith Sparks design kit

This will be a 40 inch wingspan, bubble canopy P-47 Thunderbolt, built from a laser-cut kit from ManzanoLaser, designed by Keith Sparks.

I plan to add a few modification to the original design:

- being generally windy in my area I will make it a bit stronger: I will reinforce some parts, sheet the wing and fuselage and maybe add flaps.
- the plans suggest servo actuated retracts but I'm not sure how reliable they are, so I plan to find some small but good quality servo-less ones.

victoras_h is online now Find More Posts by victoras_h
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2014, 03:04 AM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2006
33 Posts
I was thinking about ordering the K. Sparks P-47 also. I look forward to see how yours turns out. I would put servos in the wing at each aileron, and perhaps see if Eflite electric retracts would fit if wing is thick enough.
windshear is offline Find More Posts by windshear
Old Apr 24, 2014, 08:15 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoras_h View Post
This will be a 40 inch wingspan, bubble canopy P-47 Thunderbolt, built from a laser-cut kit from ManzanoLaser, designed by Keith Sparks.

I plan to add a few modification to the original design:

- being generally windy in my area I will make it a bit stronger: I will reinforce some parts, sheet the wing and fuselage and maybe add flaps.
- the plans suggest servo actuated retracts but I'm not sure how reliable they are, so I plan to find some small but good quality servo-less ones.

You might be interested, here's thread already running on this model: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835840
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:42 PM
Joined Oct 2006
33 Posts
Sweet! It's nice to see a little parkflyer warbird that isn't foam for a change. I have other projects to finish, but I do think I will pick up one of these. It reminds me of the Alien Aircraft warbird kits . FUN!!
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:15 AM
Joined Jun 2010
129 Posts
I decided not to cut up the plans. I like having it in one piece, easy to roll and keep safe. Started the fuselage sub-frame. I probably could have done both sides at once, but I didn't want to do that because I hadn't done it before and I'd like to avoid messing it up. This will just take a bit more time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windshear View Post
I was thinking about ordering the K. Sparks P-47 also. I look forward to see how yours turns out. I would put servos in the wing at each aileron, and perhaps see if Eflite electric retracts would fit if wing is thick enough.
Yes, I thought of that too. I am sure I'll find some servos which will fit in the wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82 View Post
You might be interested, here's thread already running on this model: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835840
Thanks! I went through the tread a couple of times before starting... actually even before ordering it. There is one more thread around here which is also very detailed. These are really helpful as there are just the plans and no extra instructions.

Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:29 PM
Joined Oct 2006
33 Posts
Looking good! This is probably the most critical part, making sure the frame is square and true. The frame seems so fragile until you get some other formers and stringers on it to give it strength . I'm more familiar building fuselages the clam shell style, where you build one half of fuse flat on the table, then remove and add the other side to it. This makes it easier to build without twists. This will be a first for me with this build style. Have you decided on a color scheme yet?
Old Apr 27, 2014, 02:05 AM
Joined Jun 2010
129 Posts
I like this color scheme a lot. Probably I'll go with this but I haven't decided yet.

Joining the end of the fuselage was a nerve wrecking job... everything must be true to the plans.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 03:31 PM
Joined Oct 2006
33 Posts
Your taking some great photos, thanks for documenting the build. Surely this slows you down, but it will help others who decide to build this airplane kit. That silver color scheme is the one I like also , and for razorback versions I like the "Snafu" scheme .
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:24 AM
Joined Jun 2010
129 Posts
Thanks! I like following build logs with lots of pictures so I'll try to make as many as possible too, especially with this kit where you kind of have to follow something like this as there is no manual.

It was said before, but I'll say it again: the step with the fuselage sub frame is critical. It takes time and patience to get everything just right. It is still very fragile, do not manhandle it!

For the sections which are pinned to the plans, I used wood glue but for some parts which there was no way to secure, I used CA.
Old May 01, 2014, 09:43 AM
Joined Jun 2010
129 Posts
Tailwheel assembly

- instead of wire wrapped around the tube on the support, I used a small piece of fiberglass
- I am thinking of adding a piece of ball point pen spring on the bottom part of the wire, from where it comes out of the tube to just before the first bend
Old May 01, 2014, 02:10 PM
USA, IL, Oak Lawn
Joined Apr 2007
1,424 Posts
nice keep it going very interested. I to love the no gutz scheme. I have the H9 one.
Thrawn150 is offline Find More Posts by Thrawn150
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ElectriStar and me
Old May 08, 2014, 01:29 PM
Joined Oct 2006
33 Posts
Lets get some stringers going on that Jug! She looks great so far!
Old May 08, 2014, 03:07 PM
Joined Jun 2010
129 Posts
I know, I know, got distracted for a while there. There are a couple of things in my mind and I'd like to put them in order before continuing. For example, I intend to sheet the fuselage to try to give it a more 'round' shape, as opposed to that 'starved' look you get when covering stringers. Also I want to stiffen it up as much as possible without adding too much weight so I am thinking of small reinforcing balsa triangles on the inside of the fuse frame. Not sure if I would need to put one for every joint or only on the inside ones.

Also, I have to think about the battery tray too. I want to access it from the hatch and it's easier to make before the fuselage is completed.

So the next steps should be in this order:

- fuselage frame reinforcing
- formers + stringers
- battery/servo tray
- hatch
- sheeting

Let me know if I may have skipped something important which might be difficult to do later.
Also, looking for some advice regarding the sheeting to use: 1/16 or 1/32 balsa?
-