Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 19, 2013, 09:26 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2009
345 Posts
Discussion
Micro Kaos Laser Cut kit

I have decided I wanted to build a micro sized Kaos pattern plane and so I began scaling down the 40 sized plans in AutoCAD eventually had the parts all laser cut. Below are the pictures of the laser cut parts. I hope to get started on putting things together to see how the fit is.

Forgot to mention that it has a 23 inch wingspan and I plan on using the AS3X brushless micro stuff from horizon hobby. The brushless 180 3000kv motor and the AS3X brick w/micro servos and the 2s 200mah battery.
bpink43 is offline Find More Posts by bpink43
Last edited by bpink43; Nov 19, 2013 at 10:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2013, 03:23 PM
United States, MI, Oxford Charter Township
Joined Dec 2012
360 Posts
I have a off topic question, do you have a laser? or is there a service that cut the kit out for you, I have an old design I am thinking of making out of balsa, but not sure if I want to cut it out my self, if I could find a service that cuts to a supplied file for a reasonable price it might make my build a lot easier.

Mike
Mikeofthenorth is offline Find More Posts by Mikeofthenorth
Old Nov 19, 2013, 04:25 PM
Joined Dec 2009
345 Posts
Mike,
I used AKModels to cut my kit out, you have to send them the file in a specific layout for them to laser cut it for you. It is explained on their website what needs to be done. I drew my kit out in autocad and had a preliminary kit cut so that I check the fit of the parts and then made changes and had it recut again. This is my second kit after changes, and I am sure once I get this put together I may have a few more changes to make before all said and done. Once I have a nice kit that goes together easily, I hope to possibly sell a few of them.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 08:37 AM
Joined Dec 2009
345 Posts
Started work on the wing last night, so far things fit together very nice.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 09:39 PM
Joined Dec 2009
345 Posts
More work done on the wing, I have opted to try and do retracts on this, but I have also had the cutter cut doublers for fixed gear if one so chooses to go that route.
Old Jan 02, 2014, 02:41 PM
Joined Dec 2009
345 Posts
Found some time over the holidays to get back to working on this. Finished up fitting the retracts in the wing, however, this was a difficult task and any kits in the future that I have cut once completing this one and fixing any bugs will not be set up to accommodate retracts. Starting on the fuse and getting it together, everything so far has fit together really nice.
Last edited by bpink43; Jan 02, 2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2014, 02:47 PM
Joined Dec 2009
345 Posts
With the horizontal stab and vertical stab, it is three layers of 1/32 balsa. I first laid out the horizontal stab and then added the numbered framing that you see in the first picture. I then cut out the middle pieces of balsa between the framing. After this I glued the other side of the stab on, turned it over and cut out the middle pieces again resulting in a 3/32 stab that looks framed up only weighing 3grams. I repeated this same process with the vertical stab and rudder.
Old Jan 03, 2014, 03:19 PM
confused poet
USA, CA, Orange
Joined Feb 2004
1,048 Posts
Nice Work. I like the installation of the retracts. I can see why they won't be offered in the kit. Looks like lots of precisce bending to get them to work right. Please let us know if you do offer kits, I always liked the chaos.

Hank
HanksGB is offline Find More Posts by HanksGB
Old Jan 04, 2014, 11:13 PM
Joined Dec 2009
345 Posts
Hank, you are correct about the retracts. Space is limited and it took a lot of trial and error to get them to work right, plus I am not sure the extra weight will be worth it. I do plan to offer this as a kit once I get everything together to make sure the fit of the parts is good. I really want to try and keep these as cheap as possible, not looking to make money just think it is cool to have a kit that I redesigned available for others to build and enjoy.
Old Jan 05, 2014, 10:27 PM
Joined Dec 2009
345 Posts
Got some work done on the fuse this weekend. It is looking like a plane now. Still need to figure out a canopy and run push rods then time for covering. As it is right now it weighs 78 grams.
Old Jan 07, 2014, 04:52 PM
Joined Dec 2009
345 Posts
Did some work with some 3D software and decided to create a spinner for the Eflite micro brushless 180 motor. It has the backplate and spinner that would utilize the same screws for the prop mount and the nose cone screw from the beast spinner. I sent this to shapeways to be 3D printed, I will let you know how it comes out.
Old Jan 07, 2014, 08:21 PM
Joined Mar 2011
102 Posts
Pink, think that company would cut it out of Dapron. I would love to make one out of foam ,it would be so lite. The only problem living on Maui you can't get unless you ordered a whole lot
Wayne on Maui is offline Find More Posts by Wayne on Maui
Old Jan 07, 2014, 08:56 PM
Joined Dec 2009
345 Posts
Akmodels does laser cut depron but not sure what size sheets they carry. It would definitely be light and probably only be able to fly it indoors.
Old Jan 08, 2014, 09:06 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,139 Posts
Super cool! Kaos was my first pattern plane in 1984.. at age 14.

Following this one!
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Build Service
Old Jan 11, 2014, 01:52 PM
AMA 34191
Fayetteville, PA
Joined Dec 2002
219 Posts
Subbed!
Vulgar Vulture is offline Find More Posts by Vulgar Vulture