HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2013, 12:10 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
917 Posts
Build Log
Ken McDonough's BE2e

I am going to participate in a light-hearted competition organised by the vintage and old timer section. I stand no chance of winning it as I'm a very indifferent builder and my models, even if they sart out in pristine condition, soon end up looking pretty second hand! This is a scale model of a British WW1 artillery observation aeroplane and the particular aircraft which I will be modelling was shot down on 29th April 1917 by Baron Manfred von Richtofen. It had been on the squadron strength for more than four months by then so I suppose it might have looked a little the worse for wear by then, so I could end up with something which looks pretty realistic! It was piloted by a man with the same name as me, so call me narcisisitic but...I'm already building a 1/6 scale version which was published too late for inclusion in this competition!

Instead of getting on with working on my house or garden prior to sale and probable emigration, I spent a couple of hours building the fuselage sides out of 1/8" balsa. I was surprised at how quickly it went together. I've only built one model smaller than a Junior 60 in the last thirty years so working with such small cross-sections is a novelty. The model will not be very detailed at this scale and I haven't made a decision as to whether I'll use my Mills 75 or power it with an electric motor. I've also not yet decided on whether to fit working ailerons. I like ailerons as they give you the opportunity to pick up a wing on the landing approach but they will be a bit fiddly at this scale. Finally I haven't decided on what to use for dummy rigging wires. Shirring elastic is alright but soon stretches. I was thinking of using nylon fishing line.

I've attached a pictureof the Mills 75 as customised by my 12 year-old self and one of the fuselage sides taken earlier this morning. As the plan was a photocopy, I decided to cut it up to fit it onto the bench; another first. As you can see by the photographs I believe that tidiness and precision are essential to good practice.

Unfortunately, what I believe in and what I actually do are two different things!
Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2013, 01:24 AM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,960 Posts
I have the plan here and have thought about it often as an R/C project (too many other things) but despite having a Mills .75 to hand I'd still go for electric. My choice would be to build more or less as is other than some strengthening for both the motor mounting and wings which are better suited to FF than R/C. I think I'd leave ailerons and fly on motor/rudder/elevator on just calm evenings.

Good luck with you descisions.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Jul 09, 2013, 04:04 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,611 Posts
Love it mate, it's right in just so many ways. It's great to see a Mills being used as intended, instead of sat on a display shelf, the model is a nice one (I've built two of them) and the build board atop the bench clutter reminds me of my own modelling room - which I struggle to fight my way into at the moment.
My first model, a free-flighter, was known to self-destruct every time it 'landed'. It would hit the ground and all 4 wings would drop off. The second one was radio interrupted, but over detailed and over weight. I think the working, copper pipe exhausts were the final straw.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jul 09, 2013, 04:52 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
I think the working, copper pipe exhausts were the final straw.

Pete

Good luck, despite Pete's love of mixed metaphors!
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Jul 09, 2013, 06:12 AM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,693 Posts
Me thinks the 'slimer' nickname for little engines like this Mills came from this particular engine.

Hey, I can say that since this is the electric scale forum......
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Jul 09, 2013, 07:52 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,611 Posts
You can't beat the odd mixed metaphor - unless you have a big enough stick.

The Mills would definitely qualify as a wet and smelly. Lovely little engines though. Just the right amount of power and ecconomic in use.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Last edited by PETERRAKE; Jul 09, 2013 at 07:58 AM.