Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 29, 2014, 01:40 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Dubai, UAE
Joined Jun 2007
680 Posts
BTW, the exhaust setup I have on there, which is basically a header that comes out of the back of the chin scoop, is not ideal.
Firstly it is frikkin' loud. This does not bother me as there are no noise restrictions here and it actually sounds wicked at full stick!
What DOES bother me is that this engine is still breaking in and is spewing out the black sludge and the bottom of the plane was covered in it, all the way down to the tail wheel. Looks like good ol' weathering, but it is likely going to screw up the covering and possibly wood where it can get in.

I need to find a decent deflector for it, or a 60deg bend pipe that I can attach to blow the sludge AWAY from the plane.
Cathurga is offline Find More Posts by Cathurga
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2014, 08:58 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathurga View Post
BTW, the exhaust setup I have on there, which is basically a header that comes out of the back of the chin scoop, is not ideal.
Firstly it is frikkin' loud. This does not bother me as there are no noise restrictions here and it actually sounds wicked at full stick!
What DOES bother me is that this engine is still breaking in and is spewing out the black sludge and the bottom of the plane was covered in it, all the way down to the tail wheel. Looks like good ol' weathering, but it is likely going to screw up the covering and possibly wood where it can get in.

I need to find a decent deflector for it, or a 60deg bend pipe that I can attach to blow the sludge AWAY from the plane.
Silicone tube works - Dubro sells a 45 degree extension but dunno if it will fit your pipe.
I had some permanent staining from non-synthetic break in oils on mat finish birds. I accept it as weathering, Cleaners just seemed to smear it.
I have one coming up which will have a straight pipe. I'm not sure how loud to expect it to be?
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old May 23, 2014, 03:56 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Dubai, UAE
Joined Jun 2007
680 Posts
Managed to get another flight in today. First flights were in a bit of a gust so I never got to do some stall tests. Today she went up again and got her trimmed up in all flight modes. I have approach flaps and full flaps on flight modes, so now she is trimmed level in all modes and flies very well.
Need to lean off the low end a little and then just put hours on her with routine maintenance.

Going to have to get a decent spinner now. Graham at tag-model spinners crafted some great ones for the mossie, so will get him to do one for this bird too!

Anyone else get theirs running?
Old May 23, 2014, 08:31 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,001 Posts
That's great to hear, I wish we could see some video?
Originally you planned on some telemetry for motor temp and such, did you install that stuff, or no?
Old May 24, 2014, 01:39 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Dubai, UAE
Joined Jun 2007
680 Posts
Scoot, I got some footage of the maiden, but it was filmed with a small camera and not a proper video recorder.

I did get some footage of it yesterday too, but I had some problems with the spinner, so I removed it and the plane looks silly without it, but I will see if I can put a 'fly by' on or something similar!

It goes really nicely and the flaps are pretty effective to the point where you only need approach flaps to land. Full flaps are like air brakes and slow it down a lot.....maybe a tad too much. Better to not get her too slow.
Stalls result in a sharp drop on the left wing, but only when she has got very slow.

Will try get some decent footage when she is all setup and running properly.

I did not put in any of the telemetry for the first few flights, but when I get into it's first maintenance overhaul, I will install it then. I am very keen to see what sort of temps she is running. At the moment it is getting into summer here, 45 Deg C is not uncommon so I want to make sure she is cooled well. Although the chin scoop is large and the cylinder head is right in the airflow, I might build a baffle in to make sure the air gets to where it needs to be. I have not installed the radiator moulding, yet.
Old May 25, 2014, 01:59 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,001 Posts
Sounds good - so glad this project finally got off the ground

Has she got power to spare?
Old May 25, 2014, 11:14 PM
teamwork, do it my way!
Dubai, UAE
Joined Jun 2007
680 Posts
Not so good day today :-(

Well, she was flying just fine, although I am still having some tuning problems with the RCG 30cc engine. It is running a little erratically and needs some tuning. Problem is, the tuning is very different on the ground to in the air. It is fine at full throttle, but the burble at mid stick extends to far up the power band. Its going to need some take off/land/tune activity to get it going.

I was only on the first round today and decided to bring her in, and lean off the low-speed needle. The first time was using flaps.....got her level and she descended a little quicker than expected, and even with some additional flare, she hit a little harder than I like and bounced. Not enough that I needed to go around, but enough that one wheel came off!! It was the threaded axle half that screws into the strut....whole lot came off. It might have been my fault for not lock-tite the thing, but I used a spanner on it to make sure it was tight....
Anyway, the resultant is that the lowered flaps pulled the flap servo out, the end of the strut that impacted the runway is scarred and the spinner has some 'rash' on it. The prop is dead and one of the retract screws sheared off. I usually put weak screw in for retract mounting as I prefer they shear off rather than pull the mounting hardpoints out.
Some areas of sheeting that has detached but otherwise it is whole.

It is halfway to repair already. Going to need to be a lot more careful with this plane.....
Old May 25, 2014, 11:48 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathurga View Post
Not so good day today :-(

Well, she was flying just fine, although I am still having some tuning problems with the RCG 30cc engine. It is running a little erratically and needs some tuning. Problem is, the tuning is very different on the ground to in the air. It is fine at full throttle, but the burble at mid stick extends to far up the power band. Its going to need some take off/land/tune activity to get it going.

I was only on the first round today and decided to bring her in, and lean off the low-speed needle. The first time was using flaps.....got her level and she descended a little quicker than expected, and even with some additional flare, she hit a little harder than I like and bounced. Not enough that I needed to go around, but enough that one wheel came off!! It was the threaded axle half that screws into the strut....whole lot came off. It might have been my fault for not lock-tite the thing, but I used a spanner on it to make sure it was tight....
Anyway, the resultant is that the lowered flaps pulled the flap servo out, the end of the strut that impacted the runway is scarred and the spinner has some 'rash' on it. The prop is dead and one of the retract screws sheared off. I usually put weak screw in for retract mounting as I prefer they shear off rather than pull the mounting hardpoints out.
Some areas of sheeting that has detached but otherwise it is whole.

It is halfway to repair already. Going to need to be a lot more careful with this plane.....

Good to hear you saved it.... Matching chin rash on my Tempest.
Old May 26, 2014, 02:25 AM
MAAC 79785
Kimberley BC Canada
Joined Sep 2009
309 Posts
Glad to hear she's flying Cathurga! Mine's pretty much ready to go, have just been busy maidening other machines first, but looking forward to the Tiffie...Maybe I'll do it on the 70th anniversary of DDay in a couple of weeks. I haven't even fired it up yet, so hopefully have no issues.
Cheers
R
rcgeorge29 is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge29