HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:40 PM
Joined Dec 2012
30 Posts
I gave up the internet hunt and went the old fashioned way: went to a store with a guy who knows this stuff and bought what he said to buy. This is extra funny since I make my living off internet sales, but there's definitely something to be said for brick and mortar. The store is called Hobby Marketplace but they have an online store:

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...y_rc_main.html

Only about an hour up the road from me, and as I was leaving the guy said, "Call me if you have any trouble!" And it sounded like he meant it!

He tested my old servos and found them working! I was stunned. I bought new ones anyway, just to have backup. And because I have thoughts of building another boat. OK, maybe that was the main reason. Someone needs to make an RC version of Sailrocket. Why not me?

For those wondering what a Sailrocket is, it holds the world speed record over the short course, after recently smashing records set by the kiteboard guys.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/01...ailrocket/all/

So now I've got new stuff on my table and just need to install it in my boat. This I think I can handle! And if I can't, I have someone new to bother with my problems other than you folks!
Tom Ray is offline Find More Posts by Tom Ray
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:47 PM
Lipo Power
Joined May 2009
297 Posts
Okee dokee.... Gents lets go back to:
Fairwind III by Kyosho.... ;-)

Or we can start another thread about Hobby King.....
BrushlesHeaven is offline Find More Posts by BrushlesHeaven
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:29 AM
Joined Dec 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushlesHeaven View Post
Okee dokee.... Gents lets go back to:
Fairwind III by Kyosho.... ;-)
I'm back to it! By the way, does anyone know what flavor Fairwind I have? I assume there are Fairwind, Fairwind II and Fairwind III models. I have seen that the "900" is a fiberglass boat, so I definitely don't have that.

Yesterday's big accomplishments were mounting my old sail servo arm to the new servo, which is a HiTec 645MG. Of course the holes didn't line up, but my tiniest drill bit solved that problem.

I made a call that I may come to regret and put a tiny dot of blue threadlock on the main screw that holds the plastic disk on top of the servo, then put a small amount of West System G-Flex epoxy, which is supposed to stick to anything, on each of the four screws that hold the aluminum arm to the plastic disk, and also between the two parts. I hope they stay together for years and I don't have to mess with them.

I had a bit of leftover epoxy so I used it to stick a small rectangle of fiberglass cloth over the holes where the through-deck power switch was mounted. It looks pretty disreputable, made worse by the fact that the scrap I used had a black ink line on it, made when I was cutting a piece for my little aluminum skiff to size. Not the prettiest fix in the world, but I'm hoping it will at least stay put and be waterproof.

Today I plan to rebuild the sail servo mounting box that came apart when I removed the old servo, build a mounting box for the rudder servo, and hunt up some velcro to stick the new receiver and battery box in place. I'm not sure exactly what I will do with the new switch, but I'll mount it inside the boat someplace. I plan to use some G-Flex epoxy and fiberglass cloth for these jobs, so need to allow a day for curing before I can actually install the new servos and switch.

Maybe I'll be sailing my boat this week! Tuesday's forecast is for N winds at 20-25 knots. Sounds good to me!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:46 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,443 Posts
Tom
Just an FYI the Fairwind lll is the only fiberglass hull - all the previous versions were ABS molded hulls to my knowledge. Using thread lock on a servo set screw is really not necessary on a sailboat. There is not enough vibration on board to require it. Plus those screws don't really come loose. I guess anything is possible so maybe it's an Ok idea??

You mentioned "Maybe I'll be sailing my boat this week! Tuesday's forecast is for N winds at 20-25 knots." I would give serious consideration to not attempting to sail a 36" Fairwind in those conditions.

Check out the charts below - 20 knots =23.0156 mph - That is a lot for a little boat!
Just sayin..................
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:55 AM
Joined Dec 2012
30 Posts
Boomer, my pond is completely surrounded by trees. If it's not blowing 20 out in the open, there's very little wind on the pond. Plus, it cracks me up when a gust actually makes it down to pond level and overpowers the boat. I have sailed it when tropical storms were passing with gusts near 40, which probably translates to 20 down at pond level, and I agree that the boat can't really handle it. Torturing my imaginary crew cracks me up.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:50 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,443 Posts
Tom
Understand, just didn't want you out there seeing your mast break off, or even sink your boat. It is very hard to even control your boat in your hands in 20+ mph winds.

If you think about the boats scale and what that force of wind translates in scale, holy moly That is some serious stuff for these little guys.

Boomer
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:54 PM
Joined Dec 2012
30 Posts
Hah! Yes, I have had some exciting walks from house to pond with the boat in my hands when it's blowing! My guest house/office, where the boat lives, is on stilts, so is much less protected from the wind than the pond, and the wind swirls around the house and stairs, making it a bit hard to keep the bow into the wind. I always let the sails all the way out and let them flog. I haven't sunk the boat yet, but as I mentioned, it does leak.

In the GREAT NEWS department, I finally finished the new electronics installation just a few minutes ago, tested them and all seems to work. I thought I duplicated the rudder geometry pretty closely, but it seems like I have a bit less deflection in both directions. If it is not responsive enough, I can find some way to increase it.

It's time for the clueless question of the day! To test the sail servo, I just grabbed both sheets and gave it a little resistance, something I had never done before. I noticed that when holding position under load, the servo makes a bit of noise. It is sort of a combination of clicking and grinding. Is that normal?

Sailing pics and video to come tomorrow!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:37 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ray View Post
...It's time for the clueless question of the day! To test the sail servo, I just grabbed both sheets and gave it a little resistance, something I had never done before. I noticed that when holding position under load, the servo makes a bit of noise. It is sort of a combination of clicking and grinding. Is that normal?...........
@TomRay:
I would consider that normal. Many servos make a bit of noise (hum or similar) when holding a load.

The winch noise is quite noticeable in some of the onboard video about... Have a look at this one of mine - onboard a Hurricane 1000 - you can see the drum just in front of camera.... arm winch does similar things under load...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=3RZU1bh6GBk
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:15 PM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,096 Posts
A but late with this tip I guess Tom Ray, but the neatest way to plug a hole is to put some tape over the outside of the hole and fill the hole from the inside, making sure to really fill it.
After it's dry (whatever you use, coloured epoxy or glue, or silicone), remove the tape and you have a neat and nearly invisible patch.

Also, I'm not sure the 645 is going to be up to the task in a good stiff wind.
I use one of those for my rudder in my Nirvana, and it's a smaller boat than the Fairwind.!

After upgrading to the 645MG for my sails on the Nirvana, it still didn't walk the walk.
I put in a Hitec 985MG for the sail servo.
That worked!
If the wind is strong enough now to prevent the sails pulling in then the sails stay where they are, and the d..n hull swings around instead!

You are lucky to have your own pond to sail in, swirly winds or not.
Enjoy your sailboat.
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Last edited by lilleyen; Jan 21, 2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:05 AM
Joined Dec 2012
30 Posts
MrP, that's pretty much exactly the sound I was trying to describe.

Lilleyen, my old boat has turned from white to yellowish with age, but the "footprint" of the old switch is still white like the rest of the hull used to be. Making that hole disappear would be a lot of work, so I decided my goal should be set a bit lower. Merely making it waterproof will be fine with me!

I learned a few things this time around and if I have to upgrade my sail servo it won't be all that hard to do.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:05 PM
Joined Dec 2012
30 Posts
Success! Sort of!

First sail went fine, but I found a fair amount of water inside the boat when I was done. I decided to use some foam insulation tape to seal the hatch a bit better and put some 3M 5200 around the rudder post, just in case that was the problem It's never coming out now!

I took it out again and got a tiny bit of water inside, so I think my hatch sealing effort did some good, though I did not get the boat blown down as often or for as long on the second sail.

I took some video, but it was difficult. I was holding the camera with my rudder hand, so I was trying to steer with my elbow while shooting video and trimming the sails with my other hand.

Then it occurred to me that my fancy new remote control made that unnecessary. I unplugged the rudder servo from the "aleron" spot and put it in the "rudder" spot on the receiver. Now the left hand control stick does the sail and the rudder, so I have a free hand. I haven't tried it out yet with this setup.

Here is today's video:

Remote Control Fairwind Sailboat in Pond (2 min 13 sec)
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:02 PM
Lipo Power
Joined May 2009
297 Posts
Very Nice boat, love it...
BrushlesHeaven is offline Find More Posts by BrushlesHeaven
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:52 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,265 Posts
Nice video.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:38 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,443 Posts
Tom
Nice video - thanks for sharing - very nice little lake to sail on as well. Watching the video it looks like you could reduce the boat's extreme angle by releasing the sails a tad. It is fun to have the boat heeled over but it slows down a bit when the angle exceeds a certain point.
It is fun to develop your "skippering skills" to the point where you are able to keep the boat's angle at the optimum and on a straight course. Rudder movements can also slow these boats down as well. Sailing is a lot like flying a glider, in that soft touch on the sticks, results in smoother more controlled sailing, not to mention greater speed.
I am wondering if your boat could benefit from additional ballast? Not sure. May be just letting the sails out a little will do it?

My sailing partner and I were sailing last weekend, normally he brings his Yamaha but this day brought out his Vela. I was surprised that the Vela with what seemed very little wind, ended up on it's rails quite a lot. I know John is a skilled sailor and knows how to correct for this tendency, but I was surprised at how sensitive to the wind his boat was.

We did pull the boat out of the water to make some adjustments to the mast and boom angles as well as radio settings. These corrections improved his boat's performance a lot.

To test your set up on dry land, you can use a decent room fan that oscillates to simulate sailing conditions.

I am not an expert on tuning a Fairwind's sails and will have to learn what works best on my boat - but that is really part of the fun of this hobby. With my other boats I have developed my knowledge of how to set the sails for any conditions to maximize the boats performance. Granted, the changes are subtle, nonetheless I can see differences when I make the changes.

It is all part of getting to know and understand your boat. Kind of "cause and effect" thing.
Boomer
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:42 AM
Joined Dec 2012
30 Posts
Boomer, I usually do not let it heel over that far, but I was deliberately trying to get it blown over to see if it would leak. Also, I was steering with my elbow while filming. Not exactly the easiest way to control a boat!