HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:02 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
Discussion
CNC foam cutter powered by Mindstorm

i had the idea to use my Lego Mindstorm electronics to make a CNC foam cutter. i've read about and seen a video of a working cnc router entirely made out of legos. it only could cut foam because the motors are not stepper motors and legos don't like to be put under a lot of stress. so, i want to make a hot wire foam cutter which is easy, and then make it so that the table can be slid around by the mindstorm parts. my problem is, i do not no how to get CAD files onto the NXT (mindstorm controller). i know it's do able with autocad but i don't know how. any body know? i currently can use google sketchup and prodesktop 8. i'm better at using pro desktop so i'd rather use it.
builder bob is offline Find More Posts by builder bob
Last edited by builder bob; Dec 03, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:01 PM
United States, MI, Marquette
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
I googled " Lego cnc nxt gcode" and got this http://us.mindstorms.lego.com/en-us/...5-420b6c2fe8a5

Seems that so long as you can output gcode, which sketchup can do with plugins. You should be able to accomplish this.

I'm not familiar with the nxt system but i think google is going to get you answers a lot faster. Cool project post some pics when you get it going.
Taget is offline Find More Posts by Taget
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CNC Machine update.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:03 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
that was a smart thing to search, i don't know anything about code and so i didn't know what to look for. how do i make sketchup make gcode? this is what i had found before: http://thenxtstep.blogspot.com/2011/...d-printer.html definitely watch the video, it has the greatest reveal ever!
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:27 PM
United States, MI, Marquette
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
I am using sketchucam from the PhlatBoyz forum. it looks like they have a beta for 3d cutting as well but i have no experience with that. simply draw your parts out and run the Cut tool and it will generate the Gcode for your. really simple to run. Give it a shot and if you have problems with the plugin let me know, the plugin works for Sketchup 8 but needs some tweaking.

There is quite the alphabet soup of acronyms that really confused the heck out of me at first. Now that i have learned a few of them it makes it easier to search for information.
Taget is offline Find More Posts by Taget
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CNC Machine update.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:47 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
awesome, i'll download what's needed and draw a circle to see how stuff works. i definitely have to make the cutter part now, i have no excuse not to make this machine, i have every single part.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:28 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
how do i get gcode into my nxt?
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:08 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
how do i do a revolve in sketchup? after a week of classes for pro desktop i'm already better at using it then sketchup which i've used for 3 months! i can't find anything free to make gcode from pro desktop. please help!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Mar 2006
51 Posts
SketchUp Revolve/Lathe with Follow Me

From SketchUp for Dummies by Aidan Chopra
(see attachments)

-Steve
ssmeier is offline Find More Posts by ssmeier
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:41 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011