Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:10 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
Meh, it's so ugly I wouldn't fly it if someone gave it to me.
Maybe the Ronald McDonald inspired colour choice was copied from 3DHS too?

So are the colours still ugly?
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:15 AM
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Nov 2010
137 Posts
You downloaded that from HK???
On page 2 it says:
Unpack your airplane and examine the components. Check for damage of any kind. If you have damage, please contact 3DHobbyShop to discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
I've never seen the real mccoy in person, but I downloaded the manual from the HK product page and it seems fishy. I'm sure the plane is a 3DHS plane.

I'm not complaining, and will seriously consider this McSlick after I crash my current slick.
cedarville is offline Find More Posts by cedarville
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:18 AM
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Nov 2010
137 Posts
Somebody is messing with us. The file on the HK site is a "customer file" and is for a 3DHS 59" Slick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarville View Post
You downloaded that from HK???
On page 2 it says:
Unpack your airplane and examine the components. Check for damage of any kind. If you have damage, please contact 3DHobbyShop to discuss.
cedarville is offline Find More Posts by cedarville
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:39 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Yes, I downloaded it from the HK site. It was there when I first went to the product page when there were no discussions/comments. I speculate it was from a careless employee, who used the "3DHK" and 'AJ_Slick" for the description and product ID.

I don't have a problem with them copying, but I do want to find out if it is a good clone or a badly copied ripoff that is trying to associate itself with the real thing.
So far, the clues seem to allude to the former.

JetPlaneFlyer, I think it still looks ugly, but the Velox looks worse..
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:51 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
JetPlaneFlyer, I think it still looks ugly, but the Velox looks worse..
Yeah, I tend to agree, they are both pretty horrendous.
But it's only a colour scheme, FWIW I'm no fan of the genuine AJ Slick scheme but I still bought one.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:57 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Lol! we're on opposite ends.
I like the AJ Slick scheme, but did not buy the plane.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:07 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Yeah, I tend to agree, they are both pretty horrendous.
But it's only a colour scheme, FWIW I'm no fan of the genuine AJ Slick scheme but I still bought one.
but out of 3dhs 57,42, 48" ege, 48"sc, and EF red msx, slick pops in the sky the best! and as much as i would love to have old, yellow 3dhs slick, new just grew on me!
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:06 AM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
That velox is gorgeous in person, and while I didn't like the new AJ Slick scheme at first, once you see it in the sky , it's a very good design that absolutely pops. Remember love for color schemes will vary from person to person, region to region, so lets not waste time arguing about opinions of color schemes.
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:24 AM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,490 Posts
I usually stay out of these threads, but I have to say, that is the 3DHS manual. I have a 3DHS 59" Slick.
The plane in the HK guide has 3DHobbyshop stamped on the motorbox, and the person building it is wearing a 3DHS team shirt.
This is nothing but a blatant rip off. I didn't think even HK would have the stones to do something like this.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:28 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,532 Posts
I also have the 51'' 3DHS AJ slick and can say they both look vary similar compared to the pics that were given. If it is truly a ripoff from 3dhs I do not see why hobbyking keeps doing this and I hope there are not more ripoffs to come. Also one other thing is who knows what quality wood and other materials hobbyking put into it and we all know there will be no customer support for it or spare parts. I have and will continue to give my money to the hardworking Americans who designed the real 3dhs planes. I have never purchased a singe product from hobby king and I never will.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:36 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,351 Posts
Somebody said it was a user uploaded manual probably designed to stir up trouble (as if the plane itself won't stir something up).
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:40 AM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I usually stay out of these threads, but I have to say, that is the 3DHS manual. I have a 3DHS 59" Slick.
The plane in the HK guide has 3DHobbyshop stamped on the motorbox, and the person building it is wearing a 3DHS team shirt.
This is nothing but a blatant rip off. I didn't think even HK would have the stones to do something like this.

Chuck
The manual on HKs site is under "customer uploaded files." I imagine someone from here uploaded it.

I do agree that the shape of the plane looks very much like the 51" AJ Slick... VERY much like it. Yes, the Slick is a real aircraft, but the AJ version was an original design inspired by it and tweaked quite a bit to be the awesome hybrid pattern/3D performer that it is.

I'm sure we will see more detailed comparisons in the future... and my hunch is this is more of HK doing nothing original and just undercutting by imitating the real trend setters with barely any R&D of their own.

At any rate, I have yet to see a single HK 3D plane at any of the various flying fields or events here in this huge city called Phoenix. 3DHS and EF are all over the place and keep bringing us exciting new designs... I think they'll be fine.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:53 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,351 Posts
Regarding

Quote:
and my hunch is this is more of HK doing nothing original and just undercutting by imitating the real trend setters with barely any R&D of their own.
This happens so often in the world of technology. I'm not saying it's right...just common.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:59 AM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Regarding

This happens so often in the world of technology. I'm not saying it's right...just common.
Happens everyday- that's where 3dhs and EF's brand loyalty will come into play.
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:05 AM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
No doubt, and you’re correct that it doesn’t make it right. I work at a small business that makes innovative aerospace systems... and I'm proud of it. I would feel terrible about myself had I gone through school and ended up at a place that just makes lowest common denominator copies

I give my money to similar companies who are doing something exciting and progressing as opposed to being bottom feeders. I don’t only do this on principal, I do it because I feel that a good percentage of the time I will end up with a superior product. I’m definitely not rich, but my time for flying is short. I don’t have time to modify poor designs.

Maybe after these guys have put out copies long enough they will have enough experience to design something original that also flies well… seems to be how a lot of companies have come up in the past.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate