Youīll see, Pata,...

... quite soon.
trf_414_m2 is offline Find More Posts by trf_414_m2
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:43 AM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
549 Posts
Good news about the nylon wheels gluing process.

Iīve tryed to remove tyre from wheel by hand (I got strong "clamps" as fingers, ) and it was impossible to rip the tyre out. In fact, I found itīs much easier to do this from Venom wheels because rim plastic is much more polished.

The Shapeways material is quite porous and takes a lot of ciano glue before getting saturated, but this feature makes glue reach tyre beads much better.

The wheels have been carefully washed, beads filed and then washed again since they arrived from Shapeways, and let them dry for several hours after that in order to take all moisture out of the rim.

In case you are in a hurry, ciano will react with moisture and create a bad joint that will peel away.

Once tyre have been installed on the rim, Iīve poured ciano all over one side joint taking time to let it inside rim channel. Iīve wound some electrical tape over the whole wheel in order to fully seat tyre in place. Let it dry for half an hour and then continue with the other side.

Itīs a time consuming process but my experience teached how important a good tyre gluing process is (I lost 2010 Spanish Nats for a rear blown tyre, )

Letīs go with the final production step...

Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:41 AM
Kungsangen, Stockholm, Sweden
Sweden, Upplands-Bro Municipality
Joined Dec 2011
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trf_414_m2 View Post
...// I want to test these wheels in order to check if I can get the same gyro effect with less load. These wheels are open from the inside and I can load them with lead tape to a very big radius.//...
This is exactly what I want.
Imagine an aluminium hub and CF spokes, paired with special TRF-style rims. It would be like the 1:5's, only a little better.
This would settle the venom wheel-braking issue forever and leave a lot of tuning possibilities to the racers.
Keep up the good work!
z_dad is offline Find More Posts by z_dad
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:06 PM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
549 Posts
Slight updates from past weekend.

Iīve tested rear swingarm torsional strength and found a weak point where the spur shaft is mounted. Iīve designed a new swingarm core that will replace the small carbon fin and 4 posts.

Take a look at it.

Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:07 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
642 Posts
looks like you played too much "Bridge Builder"

Any estimate on the price tag?
Since running the Jabber in 1/5, I have enough time for a second class on race days..
Gartenzwerg is online now Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:00 PM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
549 Posts
If you own a Jabber, you must feel "at home" with those high end white nylon parts all around...

... and "high end" price tags too.

Just kidding....

Iīm almost to complete just few bits for this bike before start the first short run. Todayīs bits are some chassis spacers, mid one with captured M3 nuts for rear swingarm shafts, side spacers and esc plate spacers too.

Iīm thinking about some other parts and options so this proyect is close for a first bike but wonīt stop there.

See you soon with a "not so scary" price tag.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:48 AM
Me Likee Motorbikee
Melbourne Australia
Joined Nov 2009
1,140 Posts
Watching and waiting...

Lookin good too...

Quick question... How does the body mount..? I only noticed one mount each side... And didn't think that be enough... I'm sure you have a good system in place... But I can't see it...
Lukey B is offline Find More Posts by Lukey B
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:04 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,438 Posts
Subscribity
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:55 PM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukey B View Post
Watching and waiting...

Lookin good too...

Quick question... How does the body mount..? I only noticed one mount each side... And didn't think that be enough... I'm sure you have a good system in place... But I can't see it...
About body mounts...

Take a look at the comparison pics of the 1.8 and 5.8 bikes.

Youīll see one aluminium body post (preproduction bike, nylon ones on final run) right in front of rear swingarm pivot point. These (one at each side of the bike) posts will hold fairing in place while esc and battery act as stop blocks.

Upper body is fixed to the "shock tower" by two body mounts.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:29 PM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
549 Posts
Santa arrived today...

Nylon parts for first two bikes and some spare wheels for crashing tests.

Other updates.

The new chassis plates feature two pivot points for front swingarm and four for rear one. The complete concept is related to be able to modifiy bike geometry without changing overall CG setting.

So I need to design different swingarms for each pivot point in order not to move main components (that will move CG).

Front swingarms also set initial "forks" rake and I wanted to have some adjustability there too. I can set front rake at 22, 24 and 26š with the same nylon leg and wheelbase.

At the following pic youīll see the optional swingarm set, 6 front sets and 4 rears. Upper left, front ones for upper pivot point (smooth tracks). Lower left, fronts for lower pivot point (bumpy tracks).

Hope you like it.

Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:24 PM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
549 Posts
Some today updates.

Fatty Venom rider suffered a heavy diet process but didnīt matched expected weight loss. So I took him from the riderīs seat and built another rider.

Starting from thin foam sheet, Iīve rolled Venom rider over and mark head, arms and legs, and overall shape of body back. Some cutting after, I got a "flat" rider that looked like a frog that had suffered an extreme encounter with a truck.

I ciano glued the head profile and insert some foam cuts to get a rounder shape. Itīs much closer to a shark fin than a complete helmet, but itīs not completely flat.

I get a small plastic bar to create a link at hips position from one leg to the other (see the screw). I went for the markers box and painted some lines here and there for added realism.

3 grams rider....

Feel free to scale your Venom ones.

Venom rider changes wheels and oils at CSC pit times. Hope this training remove any extra weight from his "rocky" body...

Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:41 AM
Me Likee Motorbikee
Melbourne Australia
Joined Nov 2009
1,140 Posts
Cmon.... We're all waiting to see the videos of this bike in action...

Lookin real good... Now show us it go... Pleeeeaase...
Lukey B is offline Find More Posts by Lukey B
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:10 PM
Kungsangen, Stockholm, Sweden
Sweden, Upplands-Bro Municipality
Joined Dec 2011
252 Posts
@ trf
With my, Mr. Light Venoman pdf, you already have the outline.
If you use the same material I had, there will be a 3D figure at only 6 grams. I know it's doubled weight from your depron silhouette guy but it survives crashes really good.
Cut rough and shape the rest with a household iron (depending on material properties).
I'd be honored to send you one of my spare bits if you want to use it.

Micke
z_dad is offline Find More Posts by z_dad
Last edited by z_dad; Nov 23, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:30 PM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
549 Posts
Proyect still on its way to be completed.

Next step is to get the proper spring for front suspension. Traxxas optional springs are too hard for front setup while perfectly handle the rear duties.

Any help to find a 0.60 rate spring that fit over 1/16 Traxxas shocks will be appreciated.

See you soon.

Cesar.
Last edited by trf_414_m2; Dec 05, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:10 PM
Espaņa, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
549 Posts
Few minutes ago Iīve completed the instruction manual for this bike.

Some friends have been selected to take a look and leave "only positive" feedbacks about it.

Almost every page of the manual include 3D drawings of each building step along with some explanations in Spanish. English version available soon.

I think Iīve made the coolest manual of any bike around.