HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:37 AM
United States, CA, Los Alamitos
Joined Jan 2011
1,106 Posts
Build Log
F-86 BVM 120mm 60"wing 60"fuse Rebuild/Repaint/EDF Conversion

Here I will convert a older BVM F-86. It has been sitting in the hangar for some time and have not gotten around to this project. Today I just had time to start glassing the ailerons. The flaps also need to be glassed. It needed some repair since I pulled the control surfaces from the wing since I didn't like the hinge job. Also need to get a couple of items for this rebuilt like the carbon plastic pieces that attach to the carbon spars which act to hold the wing. Also need to get another set of mechanical BVM gear for the mains.

Well I will detail this, and try to see if I can use a similar location on the batteries as what I have seen on the ARF's. Note this isn't no arf so the wings don't plug in which would be nice to hide gear under the fan. But since the wing is the old stye that area may have to be used minimally so not to make wing removal a pain.

Well I'll post some pictures and see how this project goes. I have a few others but this one is perfect for this time of year for painting. My other projects building will be put back a few until I get this one flight ready.
jefffassbinder is offline Find More Posts by jefffassbinder
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jefffassbinder; Aug 30, 2013 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Define
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:55 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,028 Posts
Is that the 63" WS ? How about length?

I'll be tuned in, might pick up some tips for my F-86.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,106 Posts
Here is a couple of photos

Here is the some images of the basic frame and still sanding all existing primer off. I want to use SEM Primer on the whole project. I'm waiting on a couple of small items from BVM I ordered. So that will get the wing mounted and then finish up the hinging on the wing. I wanted to use the mechanical gear but the units I have are damaged. So I may go pneumatic on gear and run a piston on the front mechanical nose unit to stay air only. Well unless I run into some mechanical gear main sets. So need to finish taking the prime down and then break out the chart tape and then will prime. I have the old kit so no panel lines. Hence the need for some chart type tape.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jefffassbinder; Jul 17, 2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:37 PM
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
dang Jeff, your a building/painting machine here lately :-)
tburley is offline Find More Posts by tburley
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,106 Posts
Just a little at a time

Yes Todd, I've been in the garage a bit lately. I would like to get this F-86 airborne as I think it should fly good. I've seen the old birds fly and they did 150 or so. I hope to get similar or better performance from this model once everything is said and done. Right now I'm sanding down to skin on the control surfaces and glassing them filling and repair from the state they were in. So I hope that I can do the traditional scheme on this once I get further along.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:35 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,219 Posts
Cool, looking forward to watching her fly @ Big Jolt.
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:22 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,106 Posts
Big Jolt

No I don't think I'm going to make that date. A little tight, I hope to bring some of my other planes provided I can make it. It's a really long drive for me Well I hope we all get a little cooler weather so we can push those packs just that much more.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:42 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,106 Posts
Wing Span 60"

Well been sanding down to the bare bones and then doing the touch-up. I got the new wing spar L brackets. These are the front plates that the 1/4 20 bolts to the forward bulkhead. Removed some of the old servo brackets for glow. Then need to finish up on the control surfaces and new hinging.

Also want to cut in the brass tubes for the gun ports extra air for the batteries.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:54 AM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,838 Posts
What power system? Give yourself a break and stay around 100mm fan.
Doug Bateman is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bateman
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:00 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Nice! I almost bought one of these last year but opted for an F-4 instead, it was a tough choice. Even thou I love F-4's the old bvm f-86 looked so cool I almost went with it.
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:34 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,028 Posts
Jeff could you post a couple of pics of the wing center section? A good top down shot would be great. Looking at this type of mount as one of several options for my scratch build. Here's a couple of videos of F-86's with the JetFan 90.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=628
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=759
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:59 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,595 Posts
jeff, what paint scheme are you planning on?
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:30 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,678 Posts
What is the model name of the panther in the back ground of the f86
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:00 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffassbinder View Post
No I don't think I'm going to make that date. A little tight, I hope to bring some of my other planes provided I can make it..
Yeah yeah I was kidding.

Seems like alot of us have to bail on that event... sucks.
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,106 Posts
Sanding!

Paint Brent I'm thinking traditional Korean War types. So silver is in the works for sure. I would like to do the mutli tone wing.

As for the Panther in the background that is a PST Panther. It has been modified twice now, once by Bob Ruff, and then again by me. This time is was stripped and then painted with some JHH Lacquer based paints. All stars and bars and lettering is painted on.

I will get some top shot of the wing for you guys.
RCG Plus Member