Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:19 PM
I.B.
Joined Oct 2001
563 Posts
More Questions on Dead Cat Style Quad

VENOMOUSDUCKY-I can't answer your question, but have a question if you or anyone had built one and flown.
1- Where do you set CG? Same as board placement?
2- On the KK-2 board, is this an X or H during setup, or something else?

Thanks Fellas
Bob
IBbob31 is online now Find More Posts by IBbob31
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:25 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
2) there is x and +, h just reoriented the frame, but the motors are still setup for quad X
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:42 PM
United States, MI, Morrice
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBbob31 View Post
VENOMOUSDUCKY-I can't answer your question, but have a question if you or anyone had built one and flown.
1- Where do you set CG? Same as board placement?
2- On the KK-2 board, is this an X or H during setup, or something else?

Thanks Fellas
Bob
I set the CG dead center of the board, and like Brontide said, if you want to run a H quad, you select X quad.

As for my problem it still rotates to the left, so I must have a bent arm.
VENOMOUSDUCKY is offline Find More Posts by VENOMOUSDUCKY
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:59 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Ulverstone
Joined Aug 2004
2,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VENOMOUSDUCKY View Post
I set the CG dead center of the board, and like Brontide said, if you want to run a H quad, you select X quad.

As for my problem it still rotates to the left, so I must have a bent arm.
There is a fair amount of dispute as to where the cg should be on spider type frames. Equal distance between motors OR at the intersect of diagonal lines drawn between motors. In your picture the flight controller is forward of both these points which will have no effect on the gyros on the board and slight effect on accelerometers. CG though should be as close to the intersect of the blue lines (or equal distance from each motor) otherwise the quad will tend to want to drift forward all the time if the CG is located where your board is mounted.
As for yaw. Most likely esc throttle calibration issues ??
Asymetric quads like you pictured "should" show interaction between yaw, pitch and roll as the front motors will be more effective when roll control is applied causing yaw and pitch effect. In reality, this does not seem to happen though.
kaz1104 is online now Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:40 PM
Joined Dec 2007
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
Unless your cables are configured differently, it appears that the cables at M7 and M8 are plugged in backwards.
Signal (white or light brown) goes to the right
Power (red or orange) goes in the center
Ground (black or dark brown) goes to the right
yuri karlwithaka
Also you have motor #3 connected to the motor #1 connector on the KK2 also motor #1 on the #3 on the KK2. Pull the black and red wires on the #3 connector and put into the #1 connector to power the KK2. Haven't thought about #2 and #4 but it isn't rocket science to hook up the proper motor to the KK2 on #2 and #4. Just went thru this on a Quattro and a KK2 on my Quad#2.
Rotorhead0207 is offline Find More Posts by Rotorhead0207
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:52 PM
Australia, QLD, Meadowbrook
Joined Sep 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
Does anyone know where to find something like this for the 450 quad, but cheaper?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Ca...item20cdcb1f38
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIY-Unive...item416ee3310f
jonesy40001 is offline Find More Posts by jonesy40001
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:57 PM
United States, MI, Traverse City
Joined Jan 2012
1,142 Posts
Having fun with the KK quadcopter 2.0 (2 min 55 sec)

I love this kk2 board!
Donnyv is offline Find More Posts by Donnyv
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:09 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
Nice! Thanks, I'll have to check them out to see what else I can fit on this puppy. I'm reading about some osd's with rth functions. I thought it needed to be on the controller board. Man this stuff is so cool. What's the cheapest with this sort of thing? They all seem pretty expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy40001 View Post
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:22 PM
Joined Sep 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
There is a fair amount of dispute as to where the cg should be on spider type frames. Equal distance between motors OR at the intersect of diagonal lines drawn between motors.
This is the alternative as mentioned, i.e. center of lift (not a lot of difference). If it is nose heavy it will nose down when you gas it straight up and vise versa for tail heavy.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:25 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
Hey, I found some cheaper ones...in other colors too.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...+landing&rt=nc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:27 PM
Joined Sep 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Nice! Thanks, I'll have to check them out to see what else I can fit on this puppy. I'm reading about some osd's with rth functions. I thought it needed to be on the controller board. Man this stuff is so cool. What's the cheapest with this sort of thing? They all seem pretty expensive.
The OSD with RTH is only an arrow or other indicator on the display, it wont actually fly you home. If you want cheap GPS with all the functions, give MultiWii AIO Pro a crack. I've just finished an FPV rig using the above and, yes... it is very cool.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:31 PM
Joined Sep 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Hey, I found some cheaper ones...in other colors too.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...+landing&rt=nc

Sweet. but keep in mind, if your gunna be hanging an expensive camera in there it might pay to add a little extra $$$ for quality.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:32 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
Yes, I just noticed, they don't look too sturdy. You got a link to that osd you mentioned so I read about it? thanks.

Okay, just looked that up...so that looks like a controller board like the kk2?
I was reading about this one which seems to be a separate package that has the return to home not just on the screen, at least that's what I mean when I say RTH, I want it to fly itself back. lol Still expensive for me though, so are you saying that board has the return to home or just on the screen?
http://www.bevrc.com/cyclops-storm-o...53.html#review
Quote:
Sweet. but keep in mind, if your gunna be hanging an expensive camera in there it might pay to add a little extra $$$ for quality.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:42 PM
Joined Sep 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I just noticed, they don't look too sturdy. You got a link to that osd you mentioned so I read about it? thanks.

Okay, just looked that up...so that looks like a controller board like the kk2?
I was reading about this one which seems to be a separate package that has the return to home not just on the screen, at least that's what I mean when I say RTH, I want it to fly itself back. lol Still expensive for me though, so are you saying that board has the return to home or just on the screen?
http://www.bevrc.com/cyclops-storm-o...53.html#review
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...PS_Module.html

This is the version 2 and it will do all you want it to. It is a little more tricky than the KK2 as you need to play with the code but there are plenty of really good how too's. I have no experience with code so if I can do it anyone can.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:49 PM
efx
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,198 Posts
Great thanks. I'm just reading about this stuff now so I'm not in a rush to buy anything. I still have to test my batteries to see how long I can fly with what I have which at the moment is not much. Now that I think of it, has anyone added gps to the kk2 or this can't use that?

Quote:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...PS_Module.html

This is the version 2 and it will do all you want it to. It is a little more tricky than the KK2 as you need to play with the code but there are plenty of really good how too's. I have no experience with code so if I can do it anyone can.
RCG Plus Member