HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:06 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
I cut open the fuselage on a couple of panel lines to hide my cuts...Worked out well!!!...I removed the rotor with a flat blade screwdriver, balanced the rotor, and pressed the rotor back onto the shaft of the motor---Tested the balance of the rotor and the vibrations at high RPM's are gone!!!

Here is a pic to show where I made my cuts...And another pic showing the hatch back in place but not yet glued in...Almost can't tell I performed any surgery at all!!!......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:38 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
I cut open the fuselage on a couple of panel lines to hide my cuts...Worked out well!!!...I removed the rotor with a flat blade screwdriver, balanced the rotor, and pressed the rotor back onto the shaft of the motor---Tested the balance of the rotor and the vibrations at high RPM's are gone!!!

Here is a pic to show where I made my cuts...And another pic showing the hatch back in place but not yet glued in...Almost can't tell I performed any surgery at all!!!......

Kevin
What are you going to use to glue the piece back? And is it the wing or the as3x that makes the mig better at flying inverted?
mckolit is offline Find More Posts by mckolit
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:57 PM
North Wales, PA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
91 Posts
I just got two new Sabres today. The elevator travel is more symmetrical compared to my first Sabre as well.

I also noticed that the carbon fiber pushrods attached to the aileron servo and to the elevator control horns have been replaced with steel rods. Both of these planes are about 2 grams heavier, perhaps from the heavier rods. CG seems to have been shifted slightly rearward as a result. I won't know how much a difference that'll make till I fly them.
dgarbern is offline Find More Posts by dgarbern
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:14 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarbern View Post
I just got two new Sabres today. The elevator travel is more symmetrical compared to my first Sabre as well.

I also noticed that the carbon fiber pushrods attached to the aileron servo and to the elevator control horns have been replaced with steel rods. Both of these planes are about 2 grams heavier, perhaps from the heavier rods. CG seems to have been shifted slightly rearward as a result. I won't know how much a difference that'll make till I fly them.
I also noticed that the plane is more tail heavy as well as compared to my first version---My plane required a nickel for nose weight to get the CG correct instead of a dime that my first one used...The new plane requires more nose weight even though the newer planes come with a 250mAh battery instead of the 200mAh battery in the first versions...I used an Exacto blade inserted in the nose of the battery tray to cut a slot to get the nickel as far forward as possible...

Trying to get the maiden in tomorrow...I'm going to fly off of the landing gear for the first couple of flights to make sure that the CG is correct...Even with the CG spot on you can get this plane to do the "Sabre Dance" if incorrectly hand launched...I don't want any surprises!!!

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Jan 04, 2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:24 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckolit View Post
What are you going to use to glue the piece back? And is it the wing or the as3x that makes the mig better at flying inverted?
I'm using a few drops of foam safe CA to glue the hatch back in place...I don't want to run a thick bead in case I need to open 'er up again......I could use clear tape ALA the HH planes---But I didn't want the tape to be seen and when you remove the tape the paint and decals peel off...

I honestly believe that the flat bottom airfoil is what makes the MiG fly better inverted...AS3X helps with stability in less than ideal conditions but I believe does nothing to help out with how much down elevator is needed during inverted flight...

Kevin
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:34 AM
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
998 Posts
I have a few flights on mine and I like the way it flys with no nose weight and the battery back all the way. It has a lot of up trim in the elevator from the factory but I got rid of alot of that. I also like how it lifts off the ground sooner and doesn't take alot of speed. Have you tryed flying yours Kevin with the cg back. Mines around 3" back and I think it flys great there.

Mark
MarkF is offline Find More Posts by MarkF
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:33 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
I have a few flights on mine and I like the way it flys with no nose weight and the battery back all the way. It has a lot of up trim in the elevator from the factory but I got rid of alot of that. I also like how it lifts off the ground sooner and doesn't take alot of speed. Have you tryed flying yours Kevin with the cg back. Mines around 3" back and I think it flys great there.

Mark
THANKS for the suggestion, Mark!!!

I haven't maidened mine yet...Later on this afternoon looks good...

With my first one I had the CG back to about where yours is...I launched the plane slightly nose up as the instructions stated and the plane immediately zoomed straight up, stalled, and crashed into the side of my truck!!!......Subsequent flights I had a dime in the nose and went with 250 to 325 mAh TP batts...Plane flew MUCH better but you could still induce the Sabre dance upon launch if this plane isn't launched slightly nose down by a degree or two...

So---To take the launch out of the equation I'm going to use the landing gear for the first few flights to get the CG sorted out...THEN I'll remove the landing gear as I'll know the CG is correct...

There seems to be a wide range of where the suggested CG should be...Guys have been successful with the CG both forward or rearward...I'll work out the CG on my plane by seeing how much elevator trim is needed for level flight, rolling inverted to see how much down elevator is needed, and lastly elevator sensitivity in level flight and when pitching up to a 45* angle..

Kevin
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:04 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
I didn't get the maiden in today---Just too cloudy and windy...Maybe tomorrow...This plane disappears on a cloudy day...

Kevin
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:06 AM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
799 Posts
Gents,

Just thought I would share my Sabre experiences for what it is worth. I own the Great Planes mini, BH 30mm and Freewing 64mm jets. A few other pilots in our club own these as well. In our struggles to develope a dependable hand launch method here is what works very well for all of us.

64mm jets get launched by grabbing the leading edge of the left wing with the left hand and throwing like a frisbee. This works every time, just release level or slightly nose up. To much nose up and you will get the dreaded left roll to stall and nose impact!

The smaller jets both use an overhanded launch, right wing slightly low and nose down or level. Nice firm push, no need to throw like a spear. The benefits to slightly nose down are gravity helps to pick up speed, more difficult to stall and if the launch goes badly a smooth belly landing.

Anyway just some thoughts on what has been working well for us. Great thread here.
bps is offline Find More Posts by bps
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:43 AM
North Wales, PA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarbern View Post

Had a chance to get in a few flights yesterday with both old and new Sabres. Both ran okay on 3s 180 Nanotechs, but the newer Sabre had much smoother throttle response. The old one would also pulse at full throttle on some, but not all, high speed passes - odd.

This plane can be prone to entering an ever steepening climb at launch, but if you decisively feed in down elevator as soon as you see the nose start to rise, the plane will get on step and start to track well.
dgarbern is offline Find More Posts by dgarbern
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:06 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bps View Post
Gents,

Just thought I would share my Sabre experiences for what it is worth. I own the Great Planes mini, BH 30mm and Freewing 64mm jets. A few other pilots in our club own these as well. In our struggles to develope a dependable hand launch method here is what works very well for all of us.

64mm jets get launched by grabbing the leading edge of the left wing with the left hand and throwing like a frisbee. This works every time, just release level or slightly nose up. To much nose up and you will get the dreaded left roll to stall and nose impact!

The smaller jets both use an overhanded launch, right wing slightly low and nose down or level. Nice firm push, no need to throw like a spear. The benefits to slightly nose down are gravity helps to pick up speed, more difficult to stall and if the launch goes badly a smooth belly landing.

Anyway just some thoughts on what has been working well for us. Great thread here.
THANKS for the tips!!!....I have the BH 30mm Sabre, HH AS3X MiG 15, GP 30mm Sabre, SA 35mm MiG 15---As well as a few 50mm birds...All of the rest of my planes are 64mm and larger...I'm currently throwing together the SA F-15 35mm twin!!!

The GP Sabre is the only one that has been not as forgiving with the toss/launch...All of the rest of my planes 50mm and down all launch very easily---Getting the launch off by a degree or two isn't critical with these other planes---But with my GP Sabre I HAVE to make that mental note and pay attention to the toss, with the nose being pointed slightly downward...

I'm going to maiden mine with the landing gear in place...And will make a few more flights to be sure I have the CG nailed down before that first hand toss...I dinged my first Sabre on the maiden from not knowing what to expect with the hand launch...I want this new Sabre to remain as pristine as possible for as long as possible!!!......(This is my second GP Sabre---At the $59.95 price I couldn't resist!!!)

Kevin
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:20 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
675 Posts
Got my sabre and anylink for $59.99. Also ordered the hobbyking micro receiver for it. Does anyone know the configuration for the tactic receiver? Which is aileron,elevator etc. I can see when looking at the receiver( from the nose)that the second one from the left is throttle. Anyone who has installed the hk receiver did you just cut the foam straps and then just silicone in the new receiver? Thanks in advance for your input
fairplane is offline Find More Posts by fairplane
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:14 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post

Kevin
I have a question...how do you balance the rotors? My sabre makes a lot of noise, but I don't feel any vibrations...not sure if its supposed to be really loud, or if my rotors aren't balanced....
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:27 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,721 Posts
Had my maiden flight today. Needed 10+ clicks on aileron trim and 5+ clicks on elevator. Winds were not more than 5 mph but it was noticeable during flight. Overall, not a bad flier. A bit louder than I was hoping for a micro EDF but it definitely gets attention.
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:54 AM
United States, TX, Hidalgo
Joined Jun 2006
152 Posts
i just waiting for my sabre (59.99) can't resist!!! i just search for the cg but now i more confused , someone can help me, there's a lot of comments about this but all diferent
thanks
equus is offline Find More Posts by equus