Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:34 AM
Mexico
Joined May 2004
223 Posts
Discussion
Need tips to Avoid Hanging Prop

Most pictures of flyings sailplanes show one blade attached to the fuse and the other hanging.

Neddles to say, my planes also show this behavior. Are there effective tips to avoid the unnecessary drag from the hanging blade?

All the best,

Luis
Luis Moya is offline Find More Posts by Luis Moya
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:13 AM
United States, PA, Easton
Joined Jan 2009
126 Posts
A very small rubber band attached to very small hooks will work on Art-Hobby gliders.... I made my hooks out of stainless steel wire, drilled tiny hole near blade root, knotted SS wire, pulled wire thru and made a tiny hook for the rubber band to hook to. When power is off, blades snap back flush to fuselage, I've heard this is popular in Europe....
smewr is offline Find More Posts by smewr
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:43 AM
Czech Rep.
Joined Aug 2006
302 Posts
Hi Luis,

A rubber loop works fine for me, however I found it needs to be fixed with pieces of tape, at least with the yokes/spinners I do use. Very primitive, I know...

One afterthought: I find opening and closing the canopy pretty annoying when I have to fight the interfering blades

Regards,
Jan
DingoII is offline Find More Posts by DingoII
Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:07 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,234 Posts
Rotate the yoke on the shaft (you may have to grind a flat spot in the shaft in a different location), ....so the blades stop sideways, instead of up and down.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Dec 30, 2011, 07:04 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,425 Posts
Use the "Reisenauer" clamp spinner/yokes, they have rubber O rings available and the design takes them into account....
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:25 AM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,369 Posts
I use rubber bands similar to Dingo's method, but with no tape. Make a half twist in each end then slip the loop over the prop hub, the middle loop behind the yoke with the motor shaft inside the loop,then the last loop over the other prop hub. You might have to remove the second prop blade from yoke to get the loop over the hub. Dress the rubber band so it's even and there's no interferance with the spinner or motor screws. Close fitting spinners might not let you use this method. I am not aware of any way to index the prop when stopped as Kenny Sharp suggested. It would be nice if there is one.

Excuse the crude drawing but you can get the idea from it.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:45 AM
Mexico
Joined May 2004
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smewr View Post
A very small rubber band attached to very small hooks will work on Art-Hobby gliders.... I made my hooks out of stainless steel wire, drilled tiny hole near blade root, knotted SS wire, pulled wire thru and made a tiny hook for the rubber band to hook to. When power is off, blades snap back flush to fuselage, I've heard this is popular in Europe....
smewr

This seems to be intuite right, although I have problems visualing your actual implementation. A photo or two could made it clearer.

Thanks a lot,

Luis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoII View Post
Hi Luis,

A rubber loop works fine for me, however I found it needs to be fixed with pieces of tape, at least with the yokes/spinners I do use. Very primitive, I know...

One afterthought: I find opening and closing the canopy pretty annoying when I have to fight the interfering blades

Regards,
Jan
Jan,

Clear and simple. I'll try this while waiting for pictures from smewr.

Luis
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:51 AM
Mexico
Joined May 2004
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
Excuse the crude drawing but you can get the idea from it.

Leadchuker,

Will study your method. Crude drawing beats no drawing every time.

Thanks,

Luis
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:29 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,234 Posts
I've tried rubber bands ...not a huge fan.
WimH knows a lot of solutions ...I'd check out Reisenauer just in case rubber bands keep breaking on you.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp