HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:11 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Jan 2012
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzed View Post
That's just awesome Basti! Gonna' share this one with my buds.

Thanks, not really anything special, just a nice relaxing flight one morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
I think I understand.

With video out I see both letter boxing and pillow boxing. The bars left and right are small, but there. It's possible that some video displays hide the extra in the overscan area, but on my display its clearly visible. Probably just an oddity with t phe video generation circuitry.

I will post a picture this evening to show the effect.

Right now it's still a great value, but for fpv it would be the bomb if video out could be altered with either zoom or anamorphic to maximize the detail to the ground station.
With my #16v2 the live video out also does not fill the whole display - there's black borders right around. Would be awesome if this could get fixed in a firmware update.The attached pic shows what I'm talking about, sorry about it's low quality, couldn't seem to find better settings for the capture app on my PC.
basti is offline Find More Posts by basti
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:00 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basti View Post
Thanks, not really anything special, just a nice relaxing flight one morning.

With my #16v2 the live video out also does not fill the whole display - there's black borders right around. Would be awesome if this could get fixed in a firmware update.The attached pic shows what I'm talking about, sorry about it's low quality, couldn't seem to find better settings for the capture app on my PC.
The video out fills the entire width of a 4:3 aspect ratio frame, with only the black letterbox borders top and bottom. What ever program you are using to display the image, it has to be displaying the letter boxed 4:3AR image in a new 16:9AR ratio frame sized so the height of the 4:3AR image fill the full height of the 16:9 AR frame (if that makes any sense to you. This is not the camera output that is adding the side black borders.

FWIW, there are MANY who actually like the 4:3 letter-boxed display since they can use tha blank space to clearly see other flight data being overlayed on the video screen in that space from other on-board sensors, like air speed, altitude, heading, GPS coordinates, etc. etc.

So everyone cannot be appeased by what the camera is doing. It is what it is, and I don't think it can be changed with FW anyway, so I'd suggest trying to get used to it.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:41 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Jan 2012
128 Posts
Ok I think I'm following you. I had my input set to 720x480 which I guess is more than 4:3. If I set it to 640x480 I get almost no black borders at the sides (yay!) but when I connect the keychain cam to my video goggles (4:3) I get the black borders at the sides again. Strange because none of my other cams do that in my goggles.

Anyway, I'm happier using the 4:3 feed from the SC2000 600TVL cam, would just be a nice feature to have the live video out of the keychain filling up the entire width of the goggles.
basti is offline Find More Posts by basti
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:50 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quist View Post
I did some editing with Microsoft Movie maker and added some music. Cut the video in half.

http://youtu.be/2ZtV2IYqaew
BILL! likes the video - Both versions - normally Bill hates music added..
Bill now wants a turbine plane and have have somewhere to fly it.
Bill cant afford a turbine and even if he could, he has no where to fly it.
Bill would 99% no doubt end up crashing it anyway. - and burning something down.
Bill will shut up now.

Quist, those were seriously indeed a pretty cool videos. (I think it's the turbine factor that did it for me)
It's a shame we never got to see any external pic/vids of the plane though.

-B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:22 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,784 Posts
I tried to find the fov of the A lens and the B lens here in this thread but couldn't find it.
I looked up the seller and all I could find was that the b lens was 13% more than the A lens.I want to order one but would like to know the Diff in fov before i purchase
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:23 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Bill would 99% no doubt end up crashing it anyway. - and burning something down.
Bill will shut up now.

Quist, those were seriously indeed a pretty cool videos. (I think it's the turbine factor that did it for me)

-B!
try a small RTF electric DuctedFan model - nearly as good as turbine, less $$$s, size & speed
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:27 PM
Poland, Śląskie, Bielsko-Biala
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
Quote:
Bill will shut up now.

-B!
Just replace Bill with shafter and keep those #16 turbine vids coming !!!

I watched orignal and edited version more than 5 times, even my girlfriend was amazed
shafter is offline Find More Posts by shafter
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:40 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,959 Posts
Quote:
I did some editing with Microsoft Movie maker and added some music. Cut the video in half.
What I forgot to say was that I enjoyed Both versions of the Video.
Thanks
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:29 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,907 Posts
Quote:
Bill will shut up now.

-B!
Looks like this:

http://www.team-aeroscale.com/carfUltraFlash.html
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:33 PM
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Aug 2004
147 Posts
Quote:
Bill will shut up now.

-B!
After buying the turbine I can only afford the $44 camera

Thanks for the comments.

I will be at Best in the West Jet Rally in a couple of weeks. We are planning some on camera formation flying with the Cali Crew. Hopefully it works out.
quist is offline Find More Posts by quist
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:36 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,907 Posts
Quote:
After buying the turbine I can only afford the $44 camera

Thanks for the comments.

I will be at Best in the West Jet Rally in a couple of weeks. We are planning some on camera formation flying with the Cali Crew. Hopefully it works out.
Hehe!

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:09 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
I tried to find the fov of the A lens and the B lens here in this thread but couldn't find it.
I looked up the seller and all I could find was that the b lens was 13% more than the A lens.I want to order one but would like to know the Diff in fov before i purchase
The A lens is supposed to be a nominal 70 deg. AOV, not to be confused with FOV, which to me is the actual angle of the captured image, corner-to-corner, in the native 16:9 frames size. The FOV is a bit less than the lens AOV of necessity, to truncate some vignetting and lens focus degradation at the extreme edges of the AOV.

If you do a thread search on "AOV" and "FOV" you should get many hits about this in this thread.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:23 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,348 Posts
Tom, you're right, I was thinking of the holding of the power button and waiting for the flashing led.

For the 0.41 #16 firmware I use text editor, not the GUI.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:40 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,824 Posts
Awesome camera! I have the #16 V2 with the 120* lens -- simply love it for the price. Updated to 0.41 as well. I have mounted it on my BlueSkyRC Tricopter as the primary FPV camera with the live video feed on. Perfect for light weight sport acrobat FPV flying. I am powering the camera through an extra 5V line from the MultiWii board. I am using 900mHz video downlink and a 8dbi patch antenna with diversity on a omni directional. Super happy. Here is my video from today:

Tricopter FPV with #16 V2 Keychain camera (120* lens) (2 min 56 sec)
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:37 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The A lens is supposed to be a nominal 70 deg. AOV, not to be confused with FOV, which to me is the actual angle of the captured image, corner-to-corner, in the native 16:9 frames size. The FOV is a bit less than the lens AOV of necessity, to truncate some vignetting and lens focus degradation at the extreme edges of the AOV.

If you do a thread search on "AOV" and "FOV" you should get many hits about this in this thread.
Ok looked up AOV in google and it had nothing to do with cameras or lenses.
I tried to search this thread and and still nothing.

I came from amature astronomy and FOV was used extensively for eyepieces.

Sorry I asked the experts my simple question.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1