Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:10 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
Hopefully the CG isn't off on the mini also.

Azarr

The stock CG range for the "big" PopWing is right on the money in my opinion...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:13 AM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,206 Posts
35" Maiden Report

Well I finally got to put my 35" PopWing up today, and am happy to report it flew perfectly

Stock motor, no name 9g servos, 7x6 APCe prop and 145g 1550mah 3s lipo in the stock cavity with NO added nose weight.

Had someone hand launch it for me and it almost hit the dirt as it was WAY NOSE HEAVY and needed LOTS of "up" trim to fly level. Once trimmed it flew great but inverted was tough it needed tons of forward stick.

Two flights both with the 1550mah lipos and it flew great. Top speed with the 7x6 prop is in the 60mph range with the stock motor.

CG was right at 210mm mark, which is right in the manual's recommended range, but I'll be moving it back for sure....
Old Nov 28, 2011, 03:31 PM
Joined Jun 2008
261 Posts
Mini Pop wing prop clearance

OK, I'm about done with my Mini Pop wing build, and was mounting the motor, when I noticed that once mounted, there is not enough clearance for the GWS 5030 prop! There is more room on one side, but I assume that is because of some right thrust built into the mount. Looking at pictures at the Tech One website, it looks like maybe my mount was installed a little further into the plane than the one on their website.

Anyway, I have emailed the company I bought the plane from (Common Sense RC), and thought I would see if anyone else has had a similar issue with the MINI.......
aclinml is offline Find More Posts by aclinml
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:11 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclinml View Post
OK, I'm about done with my Mini Pop wing build, and was mounting the motor, when I noticed that once mounted, there is not enough clearance for the GWS 5030 prop! There is more room on one side, but I assume that is because of some right thrust built into the mount. ..
Same issue, I just cut away some foam. Still no maiden, holidays, wind rain, no chance to fly it yet.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:04 AM
Joined Jun 2008
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
Same issue, I just cut away some foam. Still no maiden, holidays, wind rain, no chance to fly it yet.

Azarr
Azarr, can you tell me how much foam you had to cut away? Or can you get a picture of your prop attachment?

Mike
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:42 AM
Joined Jan 2000
7,753 Posts
Very little, if I remember right I just went in 1/4" and cut from the motor mount to the 1/4" mark. I find it hard to believe that cutting the foam uneven at the motor mount would create a problem on this small wing.

Azarr
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:03 AM
Joined Jun 2008
261 Posts
Azarr, if I understand correctly, instead of cutting an area just where the tip of the prop would hit the wing, you cut off about 1.4 in. strip of the back of the wing, from the motor mount to where the tip of the prop wound hit?

Have you had a chance to fly it yet?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:08 PM
Joined Jan 2000
7,753 Posts
Quote:
Azarr, if I understand correctly, instead of cutting an area just where the tip of the prop would hit the wing, you cut off about 1.4 in. strip of the back of the wing, from the motor mount to where the tip of the prop wound hit?

Have you had a chance to fly it yet?
No and no. At the prop Tip I cut in enough for the prop to clear (~1/4"), then put a straight edge at the edge of the foam at the motor mount and cut out a wedge shaped piece of foam.

First flights will be indoors this weekend.

Azarr
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:34 AM
Joined Jun 2008
261 Posts
Successful Maiden...

Great little flying wing. I had to take off and reposition the plywood motor mount as it was not installed perfectly straight. Then I had to cut away about 1/2 inch of the trailing edge of the wing on each side because there was not enough area for prop clearance. I contacted the retailer who confirmed all there other kits had the same problem with the prop clearance. They promptly called the manufacturer to let them know about the problem.

All that being said. It flies wonderfully. Will even handle a little breeze. The only other change I made was to replace the control horns. The ones supplied simply do not have enough throw needed for this wing....It balanced perfectly with a 610 m.a. 2 cell bat. Flight time is about 10 min. At WOT it only uses around 5 amp. Flies great in a small area. Could easily fly in a large yard or very small field.

Don't have a way to take any video, but it flys great fast or slow. Loops and rolls are done easily (with different control horns).

Mike
Old Dec 11, 2011, 01:58 PM
Joined Jan 2000
7,753 Posts
Mine flys great also. I'm pretty sure the motor mount is angled intentionally to give some right thrust. Mine does climb with throttle, so I'll probably add some down thrust, but it's not enough to be bothersome.

Ended up doing the maiden flight indoors, although the place was huge for an indoor facility.

Azarr
Old Dec 11, 2011, 07:27 PM
United States, TX, Navasota
Joined Apr 2009
345 Posts
Well it was a nice day for a flight or five. Didn't have time to drag out the 3d planes so I took out two wings. A POP wing and a swift II. I stuck a brand new 3s 1350mah bat. I picked up on sale at common sense rc. This is the sweet size for me. I am running stock motor 1350kv. with 7x5 sport. No weights added.
I brought the plane in for a hand catch when my brother in law, whom I didn't know was watching, said " That's cool fly some more"! I couldn't let the peanut gallery down, so what the heck.
Well now that I have A audience its time to show my stuff, yep pilot skills.
Took it straight up... throttle off. Down for the dive.... a quick up elevator what?? Flip flip down into a pine tree. Murphy's law right!? So when I gave it the quick up elevator the battery ejected. Now I have to do the old swallow the pride and get out the fishing pole. Hey laughing is perfectly OK.. thats what I'm here for, I finally did manage to fish it down, but can't seem to find the brand new battery. Its strange how the earth can just swallow things??? And just when someone is watching you find the limitation of velcro.
wantoofly is offline Find More Posts by wantoofly
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:08 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantoofly View Post
Well it was a nice day for a flight or five. Didn't have time to drag out the 3d planes so I took out two wings. A POP wing and a swift II. I stuck a brand new 3s 1350mah bat. I picked up on sale at common sense rc. This is the sweet size for me. I am running stock motor 1350kv. with 7x5 sport. No weights added.
I brought the plane in for a hand catch when my brother in law, whom I didn't know was watching, said " That's cool fly some more"! I couldn't let the peanut gallery down, so what the heck.
Took it straight up... throttle off. Down for the dive.... a quick up elevator what?? Flip flip down into a pine tree. Murphy's law right!? So when I gave it the quick up elevator the battery ejected. Now I have to do the old swallow the pride and get out the fishing pole. Hey laughing is perfectly OK.. thats what I'm here for, I finally did manage to fish it down, but can't seem to find the brand new battery. Its strange how the earth can just swallow things??? And just when someone is watching you find the limitation of velcro.

Great story!! I assume this was the larger PopWing?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:30 AM
Joined Jun 2008
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantoofly View Post
Interesting......I had my mini outside my house flying a little yesterday, when I got to close to one of my large Oak trees and couldn't turn quick enough. The tree 'reached out' and grabbed the plane. Crap! About 30 feet up.....Since this was not my first tree grabbing experience, I went back inside and grabbed my bow and arrow and fishing line. First shot over the limb in question was perfect. A few good shakes with the fishing line and the tree gave it up......

I starting to believe some of these trees really are plane magnets!

Mike
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:19 PM
Joined Apr 2009
345 Posts
sorry so late, yes its the lg model.

aclinml, how do you like the mini?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:22 PM
Joined Apr 2009
345 Posts
Quote:
Great little flying wing. I had to take off and reposition the plywood motor mount as it was not installed perfectly straight. Then I had to cut away about 1/2 inch of the trailing edge of the wing on each side because there was not enough area for prop clearance. I contacted the retailer who confirmed all there other kits had the same problem with the prop clearance. They promptly called the manufacturer to let them know about the problem.

All that being said. It flies wonderfully. Will even handle a little breeze. The only other change I made was to replace the control horns. The ones supplied simply do not have enough throw needed for this wing....It balanced perfectly with a 610 m.a. 2 cell bat. Flight time is about 10 min. At WOT it only uses around 5 amp. Flies great in a small area. Could easily fly in a large yard or very small field.

Don't have a way to take any video, but it flys great fast or slow. Loops and rolls are done easily (with different control horns).

Mike
Well I see now! I wonder if the problem has been fixed with the prop clearance?