Old May 04, 2015, 12:46 PM
Find More Posts by Air-Jon
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrockmk8 View Post
I know it sounds like I'm being smart elic but I'm smiling and if you knew me in person you would know I'm a happy person that just loves to challenge myself. But this jet will be fine
You will be just fine. This jet will fly great as long as the balance is correct and the control system is up to the task. The key to success with any plane is the proper preparation. For HP EDF this means lots of tedious testing and evuating of the airframe. It is common to perform 1 or more ground "run-ups" of the jet to make sure the power system is reliable and performing properly. Pay very close attention to the ESC settings, (LVC, timing, startup, freq, ripple voltage level, etc...) So that both fans are set up properly. Check the logging (if your ESC has logging) to make sure the ESCs are running cool and within expected tolerances. Being a plane built by someone else....make sure the flight controls and servos are up to the task of 140-150 MPH flight. Sturdy mounting, pushrods and hinges are a must. Sometimes builders are very good at the cosmetic stuff...but not so great at mechanical setup. Considering this was a modified twin Byron F-18...the only one I've seen....i bet the guy expected it to be fast and built it accordingly.
Air-Jon is offline Find More Posts by Air-Jon
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2015, 06:26 PM
Find More Posts by jrockmk8
Joined Apr 2015
22 Posts
byron

Thanks Brian. I plan on doing several test on the ground with this jet.and being what I love to do as far as setting them up mechanically I will check and recheck all my linkages control horns pivot points and do several break in flights for sure!i want to do the original builder justice with this plane.I will stay in touch and will post the maiden when it goes up for the first time ever! I pretty much am dismantling it to check all the inner structure for sure cause being a heli guy I just need to know it's completely right.
jrockmk8 is offline Find More Posts by jrockmk8
Old May 06, 2015, 07:44 PM
Find More Posts by buckaroo
Banzai Institute
United States, NY, West Seneca
Joined Oct 2005
684 Posts
Hello Jrockmk8, I have been following along with interest and I am going to make a bet that just judging from the pictures and the mods that were done to that plane that whoever did the work on it had some talent. Some of the stuff that was done is trail blazing type of work. Its a good idea you check it over too but I bet you will find it well built. And for what you got it for, that could be the deal of the century. Have some fun with it and the best of luck.

Cheers,
Dean
buckaroo is offline Find More Posts by buckaroo
Old May 07, 2015, 09:41 AM
Find More Posts by jrockmk8
Joined Apr 2015
22 Posts
thanks

Thank you Dean! And I'm glad there are guys on here that share the love of this hobby with me.and glad they. like me will help with knowledge where they have it! I was always told no such thing as a stupid question! And when you run out of altitude and skills you will be building another model
jrockmk8 is offline Find More Posts by jrockmk8