New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by George Franklin
Joined Feb 2013
485 Posts
Build Log
Apprentice S 15e

I have been flying the Sport Cub S for about 30 hours now. I was looking for something that could handle a little more wind.
Recently I noticed that they dropped the price on the Apprentice S 15e RTF so I ordered one from my local dealer.
it came in Thursday
Had a really hard time trying to pop the propeller spinner off. Cut my hand on the back of the propeller. Gave up and cut a notch in the cowling to get to the screw to attach the front landing gear. And since I may need to adjust this again I don't want to have to pull all that stuff apart to get at the little screw. Covered that notch in the cowl with white electrical tape. Couldn't get that front landing gear Phillips head screw to tighten sufficiently so I replace it with a 4 mm socket head (Nylock). Took a couple of tries to get that front wheel on straight. Trimmed the rudder and then aligned the front wheel so that it would roll straight. (It will power roll without the wing.)
The foam that this plane is made out of pretty soft so I put colored packing tape over the wing root area where the rubber bands go over the top of the wing root reinforcers which are stuck on with the provided double stick tape.
The Velcro straps for the battery were installed incorrectly. Couldn't get them to work. Short side was supposed to be the overlap. That won't work and it is glued in there so it can't be adjusted. Tried to patch them and that didn't work either. I just use a Velcro cable tie to hold the battery in. Just cut the aft strap out as it was useless.
The ESC to battery connector had one wire run over the nose wheel push rod and one under. Pulled the clevis off and ran both wires under.
Screwing the empennage in place proved to be a bit of a problem. Maybe should have drilled the rudder root fitting out. It takes just about the maximum torque I can supply to tighten those self tapping screws in.
Took a little over and hour to get this supposed RTF (more like ARTF) actually RTF.
Took the plane out to fly before it was really ready and the front gear collapsed on me. (That is why I replaced that 4 mm screw with a socket head.) First flight was too fast. Tried to trim the elevator with the transmitter but couldn't get it to go far enough. So I pulled the rear clevis off the elevator, twisted it 5 times and put it back together. There is only about 10 notches total of trim with this Spectrum DX5e. But I had it within trim after the clevis adjustment.
There is several videos on Youtube showing how easy this plane is to fly. But there is also a video on Youtube where a guy totally destroyed his Apprentice on the first flight and I am pretty sure he was flying to fast probably because his elevator wasn't trimmed up right.
Checked the CG and found it was right on with no adjustments required.
I flew it 5 times and every time it tipped to one side or the other (loose front gear) and scrapped a wingtip on landing. So I filled the scrapes with Gorilla Glue and then sanded and tape them up with colored packing tape, to protect them.
Yesterday I flew for a total of 6 or 7 minutes in beginner mode and the voltage was only down to 12.2 on the stock 3200 mAh battery. 'Bout got it back together for another try.
Today I flew again for about 6 minutes. Only landed once today but greased it.
I stuck an old wrist watch on this transmitter with Velcro so I can keep track of time. This allows me to switch the watch back and forth between my cheap transmitters that don't have timers.

There is an aux channel on this SAFE receiver and I was thinking I would like flaps but this airplane pretty well jumps off the ground when the throttle is advanced even in beginner mode and with no elevator input. And there is no input for that aux channel on the Spectrum DX5e anyway.
I've got video but it is pretty much like anybodies else's video. Once around the patch and landed none to neatly.
One thing I am going to do is make up a converter for my Deans connector batteries so that I can use them in this aircraft. I've got a 3S 2200 and 3S 4000 battery that should work.
This airplane only comes with a DC charger. So I had a Deans connector converter made up so I can charge this with my AC LiPo charger.
George Franklin is offline Find More Posts by George Franklin
Last edited by George Franklin; Aug 15, 2015 at 01:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2015, 05:53 AM
Find More Posts by ladko
Czech Republic, Central Bohemian Region, Lysá nad Labem
Joined Apr 2014
85 Posts
Maybe you should continue here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...97358&page=459
and at the same time gain lot of information.

Nice flying!
ladko is offline Find More Posts by ladko
Old Aug 23, 2015, 07:11 PM
Find More Posts by George Franklin
Joined Feb 2013
485 Posts
I flew on the stock battery charged to 12.6 volts (3200 mAh) in beginner mode for 20 minutes. Voltage was down to 11.66 volts.
I chatted with a guy from Horizon and he said the ESC voltage cutoff is 10 volts. If that is correct and the voltage drop is linear, flight time with a stock battery would be around 50 minutes! And with a 4000 mAh battery over an hour.
Does that sound right?
George Franklin is offline Find More Posts by George Franklin