New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2015, 07:28 PM
Find More Posts by sihinch
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2007
554 Posts
Are you SURE the EFX Racer is faster than the Rifle? That surprises me....
sihinch is online now Find More Posts by sihinch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2015, 07:53 PM
Find More Posts by ggradtech
United States, AZ, Fountain Hills
Joined Jun 2013
276 Posts
There is no way a stock EFX is faster than a Rifle 1M. Unless the Rifle has been fitted with a lower kv motor than recommended. Most 3000-3600kv motors (of proper size) will get the Rifle 1M into the 120-130 mph range on 3s. I imagine a stock EFX does 110mph tops. Probably closer to 100, but I admit I don't personally own one.
ggradtech is online now Find More Posts by ggradtech
Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:25 AM
Find More Posts by FlyHelis
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2014
37 Posts
Great Planes Rifle 1M Setup

I love my rifle! It was my first speed plane, usually only fly 3D planes but I needed a plane for speed I went straight to a 4s setup and skipped the 2 & 3s, I wanted to go quick! I haven't crashed it so far but had a close call. The fire wall is very weak (for my setup LOL) I was flying around full speed next thing I knew my motor ripped through the fire wall and was only being held in with the 3motor wires. Luckily the motor wires had heat shrink over where the bullets connect, otherwise my motor probably would of been missing LOL. I landed it quick and saw that the firewall was completely ripped out. I had to add fiberglass to the front end and redrill holes for the motor. Been through several flights now and actually ended up coating the entire fuselage in fiberglass. I just need a new paint job

Here's what I'm packing in my Rifle-

Dr mad thrust 3000 kv motor - https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=45254
Hobby king 100a ESC- https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ehouse%5F.html
Turnigy aspec 2200 4s- https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ehouse%5F.html
Corona slim wing servo- https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ehouse%5F.html
Hitec 5085mg elevator servo- http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/hitec-h...FVBqfgodI6QDlA
FlyHelis is offline Find More Posts by FlyHelis
Old Jul 14, 2015, 08:09 PM
Find More Posts by bmw111
Live Free and Fly
United States, NH, Bedford
Joined Apr 2013
744 Posts
Has anybody FPV'd this plane?

Don't firebomb me, just asking.
bmw111 is online now Find More Posts by bmw111
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:31 AM
Find More Posts by Pygmaeus
Joined Aug 2014
10 Posts
Fast 3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylchyl View Post
....Has anyone figured out the fastest 3S Motor set up?

I've been flying my Rifle 1M on 3S with the Ammo set up, and it's just not that fast. I think my stock HK DureFly EFX Racer on 4S is faster, and my guess is it's topping out under 120mph.

Is it the Arc 28-58-1.5?

Best 4S motor?

I'd just like to get to between 140 & 160 mph while keeping reliable.

Oh yeah - I'd like to keep it under $100 - I know the MEGA options seem to be over $100 and often out of stock :P

Thanks Guys!
I have flown mine over 100 flights

Het 1w-35 4000kv 130amp
Castle 130 lite
Thunder power 2200 70c batteries
APC 5.25x6.25 prop

Have clocked it at 189 once, but gets a consistent 170 mph

I get 5 full power runs with a glide lap in between each run
Pygmaeus is offline Find More Posts by Pygmaeus
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:39 AM
Find More Posts by Pygmaeus
Joined Aug 2014
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matjon View Post
Finally I have read through the whole thread. A lot of good tips that I could have used while building mine, but I think it turned out good anyways Yesterday I finished mine and did the maiden later on the same day.

My setup for the maiden:
Mega 16-45-1.5RDE
CC Edge Lite 100A
Turnigy 4S 2600mAh A-Spec G2 65C
Reedy 2S Life 250mAh RX battery
APC 4.7x4.2

The launch was uneventful, full throttle and just throw it straight. Did only one full throttle pass, it was not as fast as I hoped it to be. When I landed the esc sounded alarm for over temperature and everything was really hot. The motor was 91C on the can so I believe it was well over 100C inside. According to my CC log the esc temp was 133C! I don't know if there is something wrong or if I just need a better cooling slot?

CC log from maiden flight: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvo5xwh2km...7x4.2.csv?dl=0

Not much to see, can hardly see the plane and my friend also missed the landing but it is the maiden video and I can´t redo that
When I have worked out the problems I will do a proper doppler video.

Some building pictures, nothing you haven't seen before. Yes I did a mishap with the motor mount but it seems to hold. The fishing wire holds up the esc so it does not put weight on the motor wires. The box makes a nice carrying storage box!
I had the same overheating issue. I took the advice of KRProton and only use the throttle full or off. Following this advice I dropped the esc temp by 35 and haven't had a problem since
Pygmaeus is offline Find More Posts by Pygmaeus
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:20 PM
Find More Posts by KRProton
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
4,147 Posts
I'm a little surprised to say, looks like there's a shipment of Rifle 1M's in-transit -- not quite enough, but almost enough to cover all the back-orders. They're due in-house early September, so they must have just put them on the boat. But according to data on our computer, they indeed are in-transit.

I was promised the Rifle 1M hasn't been discontinued, but it's been so long since we've had them in-stock I was a little skeptical. But looks like we should have some in a little while here.

I've been so busy with pylon racing this summer I haven't even taken mine out of the box since I packed them up after SEFF (Southeast Electric Fun Fly) in Americus, GA back in April. But I have a little break in the pylon schedule, so think I'll bust them out pretty soon here!

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:49 PM
Find More Posts by Daren71
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined May 2014
24 Posts
I had mine out today, first time since last year. I dorked #1, set it aside, bought #2, took the firewall out, repaired #1, painted it this week, flew like a dream. My problem, I can't launch with a darn. I had a flying friend give it a toss today. Two perfect takeoffs, 2 slightly fast fast landings, but I can live with fast, just need to learn visually to slow it down a bit more.

I loved the adrenaline rush today. Can't wait for the next time.

Daren
Daren71 is offline Find More Posts by Daren71