Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by antslake
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,293 Posts
Discussion
Micro drive hardware

What is everyone using for micro drive hardware? Flex calbles, drive shafts, struts rudders, etc.?

I have some mini V's that I want to convert to brushless one day, and some other micro dreams.
antslake is offline Find More Posts by antslake
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Plastic prop repair
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by GILL RC
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,714 Posts
I make my own. The models that I do are way to small for flex drives. My 6 inch hydro has a shaft that only 2.5 inchs long. Just repowered it with a 10mm brushless and a new 3 blade 10mm prop. www.jsgill.net
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:39 PM
Find More Posts by coriolan
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada
Joined Sep 2006
6,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GILL RC View Post
I make my own. The models that I do are way to small for flex drives. My 6 inch hydro has a shaft that only 2.5 inchs long. Just repowered it with a 10mm brushless and a new 3 blade 10mm prop. www.jsgill.net
"Just repowered it with a 10mm brushless"
Is it the HK Turnigy-1015,and was it DD or geared with how many cells and prop size? It is barely usable in 30mm ducted fans!
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:15 PM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,714 Posts
Sorry, it's a 14 mm motor, I have 2 - 200ma cells (7.4V) pushing it.
I'll try and have the pictures soon. I have to rebalance the boat, it wants to dive and the prop cavitates.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:20 PM
Find More Posts by coriolan
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada
Joined Sep 2006
6,596 Posts
These 10mm props from Shapeway might very well work with the Turnigy-1015 inrunner if the boat is light enough!
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Oct 26, 2011, 05:07 AM
Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,141 Posts
GILL RC

Are the props your design or does Shapeways have a plan (or whatever is needed) for them?

Do you know if there's Mac software for doing whatever type of file is needed?

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:49 AM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,714 Posts
I purchased the props right off thier site. I do a little filing to give an airfoil shape to the blades. then ballance. So far I have only used 2 of them. One on my 4.5 in springer tug and the other on the hydro, both work great.
I have had items made I only use Autocad it dose not work on Macs.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:09 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GILL RC View Post
I purchased the props right off thier site. I do a little filing to give an airfoil shape to the blades. then ballance. So far I have only used 2 of them. One on my 4.5 in springer tug and the other on the hydro, both work great.
I have had items made I only use Autocad it dose not work on Macs.
I poked around on their site looking for the boat props, including using their search and found nothing. I know my spelling is correct since this iPad catches most of my spelling errors, but still no propellers. (spelled out in full since prop can be ambiguous.) Hmm... Even got help on ambiguous even though I didn't need it.

Took a quick look at Sketchup and will probably download it to one of my older Macs since Lion, the latest OS, is not supported. I have two old Macs to run obsolete software. Four altogether.

Seriously thinking of having them make a hull form that I can make a glass mold from.

One of the crazy ideas that occurs to me is, since they can make mechanical devices that spin on axles I could design I tiny folding prop! Perfect for sail boats. I'd make it out of stainless since you need weight for enough centrifugal force to hold the blades open to back up. Dunno if plastic could do it.

I just babbled so much that I'll make a question out of my opening.

What should I ask for to find the 10 mm props?

Pete
Last edited by PeteSchug; Oct 26, 2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Left out right paren
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:28 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,293 Posts
Thanks Gill. I visited your home page, we have a lot in common. I may have raced HO with you once. I raced at a hobby shop over by Lake Hopatcong, but I was so new I really didn't know what I was doing, and someone lent me a car to race, since my G-plus didn't conform to the rules. I played with HO's since the early 70's, but just at home. Got a bunch of them. WE then went crazy with 1/32 scale cars, and have a home track with lap counter, 4 lanes.

Anyway back to the subject at hand. Those props might be too small for mini-V's but just right for what you are building. I may go ahead and build something like that soon. That is why I am gathering info. You have any videos of those hydros running?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:32 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
I poked around on their site looking for the boat props, including using their search and found nothing.
What should I ask for to find the 10 mm props?

Pete
I typed in propeller, and it was like the fourth pick:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/12592...rs.html?gid=mg
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:11 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antslake View Post
I typed in propeller, and it was like the fourth pick:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/12592...rs.html?gid=mg
Thanks antslake,

Dunno why Boat Propeller didn't work and Propeller did???

Anyway, I now have both black and white props in left hand and right hand config on the way. Looks like no twist to the blades but that's okay, ten mm is a nice size for me.

I have way too many projects, but I think I'll investigate having them make a hull if I can find software to use. Building on a computer sounds like fun. I loved programming since I had an always full box of parts and an infinite number of ways to put them together. You specified what you wanted in unambiguous terms and when you wrote the final spec you had a machine (program) that worked. (most of the time) I hope designing for Shapeway production feels the same.

Edit: I raced Thistles on Lake Hopatcong forty years ago! I also had a girlfriend whose parents had a house on the lake. After years of staying in touch she vanished from view. No phone, no forwarding address. I wrote a tribute to her father in my website blog. He was a Spitfire pilot in WWII and told me some very interesting stories. Called to tell her and she was gone without a trail to follow.

Hmm... Maybe I should copy that story to my blog on RC Groups!

Okay, I posted the story in my blog here. I hope you take a look and like what you see/read.

Pete
Last edited by PeteSchug; Oct 27, 2011 at 03:52 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:05 AM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,714 Posts
antslake That was CGR Hobbies in Lake Hopatcong. My store, I still have the tracks all 5 of them. 2 are portable (7&13ft) and I still do parties with them. Dyno, Hyper and the small euro track are in storage.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 03:38 PM
Find More Posts by Skegby
United Kingdom, England, Bath
Joined Jun 2015
3 Posts
Hi, I just found your thread after searching for 10mm props and saw the ones you had made by Madox on Shapeways. I'm converting a 1/72 Airfix Vosper fast patrol boat to Rc and need some props exactly like this. Do you have the CAD files still so that I could get some made locally as Madox is not responding to messages. Thanks in advance... Mike
Skegby is offline Find More Posts by Skegby