New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2015, 09:33 AM
Find More Posts by General660
Joined Nov 2012
82 Posts
I am working on the new 36 inch build now. Has anyone ever tied the rudder tops together with a strip of foam, kind of like a rear canard, but level? I am building for strength, thinking if they were connected, I might not snap them off so easily. Last time they each broke twice in testing. I am learning to fly planes, so many crashes. This build has lots more carbon fiber strips and tube, more tape. I am probably over building, but as a beginner, I am trying to make it bulletproof as possible. any feedback appreciated. Thanks.
General660 is offline Find More Posts by General660
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2015, 03:39 PM
Find More Posts by Timbo383
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2013
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by General660 View Post
I am working on the new 36 inch build now. Has anyone ever tied the rudder tops together with a strip of foam, kind of like a rear canard, but level? I am building for strength, thinking if they were connected, I might not snap them off so easily. Last time they each broke twice in testing. I am learning to fly planes, so many crashes. This build has lots more carbon fiber strips and tube, more tape. I am probably over building, but as a beginner, I am trying to make it bulletproof as possible. any feedback appreciated. Thanks.
You never know if something will work unless you try it. My UNprofessional opinion is it won't make much of a difference on strength. On my Geo I doubled the foam running the grain crisscross when glued together, with a thin cf rod inbetween. It's held up good at a cost of tail weight....but I also added renforcement all around which made it very heavy. Still flys ok but I lost a lot of the floatiness these were designed for. So to sacrifice a good flying plane for a soso one at a cost of less repairs is a choice. I don't regret mine because I enjoy flying crazy, and I spend more time flying and less repairing.
Timbo383 is online now Find More Posts by Timbo383
Old Jun 04, 2015, 06:36 AM
Find More Posts by General660
Joined Nov 2012
82 Posts
I have tried to keep tail weight down, more CF in that area, more tape. I am doubling the lower part of fuselage to enclose the CF tube running fore to aft, foam one side, tape strip on inner side. There will be two 1 x5 mm CF strips upright taped to rudder sides too, maybe it will hold and flex if it needs. I love the design, but can't help adding small mods too. It still seems pretty light, no scales, will weigh when done. Hopefully it doesn't weigh too much. I just want to fly, not so concerned about the "floaty" aspect of it. I have flown quads for a couple years, just wanted to try out planes once I saw this design. Thanks for input on it.
General660 is offline Find More Posts by General660
Old Jun 11, 2015, 07:47 AM
Find More Posts by pecanpatch
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
9,565 Posts
Get ir done
pecanpatch is offline Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 5th Annual South Eastern FPV...
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:56 AM
Joined Sep 2013
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpatch View Post
Get ir done
Could not tell for sure from my phone, but is that Tiggerbat still alive and well? P.S. good picture
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:48 AM
Find More Posts by pecanpatch
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
9,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383 View Post
Could not tell for sure from my phone, but is that Tiggerbat still alive and well? P.S. good picture
Tigger is doing fine.... He got to fly at Nall this year....
This picture is the SpiderBat blasting out of the pond at Nall.
pecanpatch is offline Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 5th Annual South Eastern FPV...
Old Jun 11, 2015, 01:47 PM
Joined Sep 2013
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpatch View Post
Tigger is doing fine.... He got to fly at Nall this year....
This picture is the SpiderBat blasting out of the pond at Nall.
Oh yeah, forgot about spiderbat