SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 06, 2002, 05:25 PM
Sunnyvale, California, United States
Joined Jul 2000
1,790 Posts
Sonic by Bowmans Hobbies???

I got another foamie for the slope, and from what I read about it is a good ship for DSing.

I wonder how it compares the XR and XL? I like the way the Sonic is built and the included aluminum joiner, if it is anything like my JW I know I will like it.

Now I will have two ships when I go sloping. I can't wait to try them out at Coyote Hills. Everyone else says the climb up really isn't that bad. I guess my regular sloping buddys are to out of shape!!! Form what everybody it is a great for sloping, and the climb is more than worth it.

How many of you guys go to Coyote Hills, like Greg, or Tempest411???

Henry
hmhoshi is offline Find More Posts by hmhoshi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2002, 08:18 PM
Milpitas, CA
Joined Jun 2002
182 Posts
I go to Coyote regularly. The climb is not bad and the flying is usually great. Go for it!
Dood is online now Find More Posts by Dood
Old Jul 07, 2002, 12:02 AM
Joined Jul 2000
1,790 Posts
Dood;

I am looking forward to checking out Coyote Hills. I heard one of the guys who flys there has a JW, I think my JW will enjoy it.

I guess several friends of mine that fly slope, I guess they are out of shape and don't want to go there. It doesn't matter to me, just as long as someone isn't on my frequency.

What is the best time of day for the best conditions?

Since I am coming from Sunnyvale, should I take 84 accross Dumbarton to Paseo Padre Parkway, then Patterson Ranch Road? Or is it easy to come up 880?

Maybe I will see you there.

Henry
Old Jul 07, 2002, 02:11 AM
San jose, CA
Joined Jun 2000
426 Posts
Henry,

I've been to Coyote Hills a number of times. I don't really care for it as I'm kind of into lighter winds with a decent thermal component to it, but then everything I've enjoyed so far has had a relatively light wingloading, and no provisions for ballast. Since I got kicked out of Russian Ridge, I'd have to vote for Mission Peak in Fremont. Maybe when I finish this sort of F3F-ish plane I'm putting together I'll feel different.

Boy, do I miss Russian Ridge...I wonder if I can get something to fly off the west side of Windy Hill???

Rick
tempest411 is offline Find More Posts by tempest411
Old Jul 07, 2002, 10:32 AM
Joined Jul 2000
1,790 Posts
Rick;

My friend Bob and I went to Russian Ridge, but the winds weren't blowing. It sure looks like it has possibilities. I wonder if I could try going there, just claim ignorance when I confront the rangers.

Didn't you buy an electric, wasn't it a Caleb or was it something else? Are you going to still use a Jeti 30/3, or are you thinking about a Hacker? I am real pleased with my Hacker's performance, they sure perform.

I am still going to stick with foamies on the slope, because I still haven't mastered my JW but I am getting better.

Henry
Old Jul 07, 2002, 12:14 PM
Milpitas, CA
Joined Jun 2002
182 Posts
Henry - Best time of day to fly depends on what you're looking for. People looking for light conditions arrive mid-morning til noon. It's easily soarable around noon and then winds pick up or remain steady as the day progresses. Please note that I'm describing the "typical" weather pattern without significant high pressure influences. Personally, I like to get there around 2:00.

There's a lower hill where some people like to try out their DS skills. Just make sure you tell everyone on top what frequency you're flying on.

As far as the best route, I'll leave that up to you since I don't come from the same area as you and am not sure what would be best for you. Hope to see you there.

Chauncey
Dood is online now Find More Posts by Dood
Old Jul 07, 2002, 04:00 PM
Joined Jul 2000
1,790 Posts
Chauncey;

You have been more than helpful, maybe I will try to get there around noon. What better way to get familiar with conditions at the site, than watching others fly. So when I launch my JW I can really have some fun.

Looking forward to seeing you.

Henry
Old Jul 08, 2002, 03:26 AM
San jose, CA
Joined Jun 2000
426 Posts
Henry,

I am putting together an NSP Caleb-almost entirely because I kicked out of Russian Ridge. Everytime I show up to the thermal field in Gilroy, the cotton-picking wind is blowing so much it makes flying big gliders more of a bother than it's worth-at least with a high-start. With an electric, I know I can get up past all the turbulence and do some decent soaring. I've done it this way with the electric I have presently, but it's really too light and only has rudder-elevator control. I think the Caleb will be the answer to my needs/wants. It's still going to use a Jeti 30-3, but on ten cell packs. With the expense of the plane and a new charger, obtaining a new motor wasn't in the budget~I do plan to get a place of my own some day, and even the cheapest homes cost a fortune, so I better not spend too much on my toy airplanes

Rick
tempest411 is offline Find More Posts by tempest411
Old Jul 08, 2002, 11:02 AM
Joined Jul 2000
1,790 Posts
Rick;

Why is it that all the enviromentalists wacko's are taking all the flying fields away from us. What are we doing to the enviroment anyway. I listen to "Rush" if you know what I mean.

The field at RSA isn't really that bad for thermaling, and besides you wouldn't have to travel as far. That's where I flew my Bandit and the Absolute. Sometimes the guys who come around mid morning are able to catch some real boomers. Besides you won't have to travel as far.

As for the Caleb it is F5B legal capable of thermaling. Superbike had a Kontronik 502 set up in his and he was more than happy with the performance. Since you are using the Jeti 30/3, I think you should go with 10x cp 2400's scr's to get more power and reserve power to spare. The 2400's only weigh slightly more than the 1700's.

Tell me about the prices of homes in this area, boy do I know about it. Luckily we got our home before the real estate boom.

Henry
Old Jul 08, 2002, 01:59 PM
David Cairns
Orange, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,095 Posts
hmhoshi

I know you will like your Sonic. Setup your radio just like the JW with 50% elevator travel. I made a ballast cavity on mine to hold up to four 2oz fishing weights. So far I have only used two. When the wind picks up, the extra 2 - 4 oz can really wake things up!
The Sonic is a great flyer, smooth, fast, retains energy well. If you enjoy aerobatics, then you will find the Sonic vastly superior to the Zagi type wings. All the foamie guys at my slope are impressed with the Sonic's speed. I have tried a little informal combat with mine (I am a combat newbie). I find that I can run away whenever I want, and pick the time and place to fight (I just need to learned how to hit someone). A Zagi in a big dive can only keep up with a Sonic in level flight for a second or two :-). I was even keeping pace with a Bluto a couple of weeks ago (I had some ballast and he did not). But the Sonic cannot turn as tightly or recover from a combat hit as quickly as a Zagi type wing. I also find I sometimes put the Sonic in a high speed stall when using too much elevator. Then the controls are almost dead and you need to dive to get your speed back and regain control. These characteristics are typical in the trade-offs between a thicker and thinner airfoil and not all that different than the JW.

-Dave (Fellow "ditto-head")
dcairns is offline Find More Posts by dcairns
Old Jul 08, 2002, 09:22 PM
Joined Jul 2000
1,790 Posts
Dave;

You have told me just what I want to hear. The Sonic is going to fit well in my sloping arsenal. I suppose if I wanted to fly combat, I could have bought an XR or the XL but it doesn't fit the type of flying I want to do.

My JW was a whole different ship, once I got the throw set correctly. Man do I ever like the JW, I just want to try it out at Coyote Hills. It is the best for sloping around this area, and I can't wait to try it out.

As for flying combat, I really started out flying Zagi's and if you had one in the air you were fair game. The most we had up in the air was 12. I have over 10 kills, and I do I know how hard it is to hit someone in the air. The best plane I had was a Boomerang, but they were all electrics. But all I want to do is fly slope and try my hand at DSing. Coyote Hills is perfect for that, they even have clocked them doing around 120 mph. I think that was with an all molded ship, I wonder what my JW or Sonic will do?

Thanks again for the info, I will make sure to cut a bay for the added ballast I need.

Henry
Old Jul 09, 2002, 12:16 AM
Sydney, OZ
Joined May 2002
21 Posts
Does the sonic use the same airfoil as the JW?
If so then it must be very similar to the JAZZ made in NZ which uses the JW airfoil and is thinner/faster than the zagi?
Having flown all three the Jazz is 20% of the way between zagi and JW, but definately wont keep up with JW.
g
red-frogs is offline Find More Posts by red-frogs
Old Jul 09, 2002, 03:29 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,298 Posts
The Sonic predates the JW by a year or two, so unless things have changed, it doesn't use the same airfoil.
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Jul 09, 2002, 09:07 AM
David Cairns
Orange, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,095 Posts
The JW and the Sonic both use an airfoil designed by Joe Wurts, but probably not the same airfoil. Each was designed for it's task. The Jazz and Sonic are supposed to share the same airfoil though.

-Dave
dcairns is offline Find More Posts by dcairns
Old Jul 09, 2002, 07:57 PM
H.A.L. 9000
Benicia Ca. USA
Joined Jan 2001
730 Posts
Enclosed pushrods

Henry, I cheated and got the enclosed pushrod idea from the Boomerang Wings wesite, but it`s no big deal-mark servo position on wing, make pushrod exit mark 2" from trailing edge(any closer and you may have clevis-control arm issues), heat up an old pushrod with a candle, line it up, and start smokin!!(EPP, that is!!!) It`s a good idea to practice on some scrap first, BTW, EPP and EPS melt at different rates so practice with whatever you are applying this to. Don`t get the housing too small either or it may stick after a few crashes. Good luck, Chris
checkenbach is offline Find More Posts by checkenbach