HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2014, 05:50 PM
United States, PA, Fleetwood
Joined May 2014
9 Posts
Build Log
Tower Hobbies Fun p51 kit bashed into a Shoestring

Thought I would have some fun, and try to build something different for at the field. But not retire on the build, and keep it quick. I've built many a control line, but rc is new to me. I am currently flying 2 rc electric foam trainers, but am looking foreward to the transition to glow. I would like to use this build as a learning experience, and ask for everyones opinions as I go. One of the models I had years ago, was a Shoestring, so part of me is reliving my younger days. Questions I have so far that I will be listing as I go are, #1, I would like to use Solartex on the wings. I love the look of that stuff, but have never worked with it. #2, I am not impressed with the feul tank install, and will be looking for new ideas. And #3, I will be looking for a better tailwheel design. Thanks in advance to everyone that helps, and hope I inspire some one else to do the same.

Dave
davey210 is online now Find More Posts by davey210
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2014, 06:03 PM
Joined May 2014
9 Posts
I changed the lenghth of the fuselage and the shape of the tail

Here you can see where I am tracing over the plans from the original design, and have lenghthened the fuselage and the shape of the tail. I am hoping to take away some of the short moment from the wing to the tail, to make the plane easier to handle. Also I changed the shape of the tail to resemble the Shoestring. I know the shape of the tail is not exact, but I want to somewhat follow the original kit design, to keep this build going fast. I guess I am going to just slap some lead in the nose to counteract for the lenghthened fuselage. Any thoughts out there?
Last edited by davey210; Sep 05, 2014 at 07:08 PM. Reason: bad picture
Old Sep 05, 2014, 06:15 PM
Joined May 2014
9 Posts
Feul tank install ideas

I forgot to mention this is a profile fuselage. In the previous post, where i traced over the plans, just above the fuselage you can see the engine and tank install. Attached in this post is how the instructions suggest to install the tank. I am NOT very impressed with the open hooks and rubber bands. Does anyone else have a better idea?
Old Sep 05, 2014, 10:00 PM
g42
Joined Dec 2012
17 Posts
Just a thought...it wouldn't take much to build a "cheek cowl" to cover the tank. Make an identical one for the other side. I believe the Shoestring had such cheeks as well. Maybe recess the tank into the fuse a bit if internal structure permits. Added weight might offset the lengthend tail.
g42 is offline Find More Posts by g42
Old Sep 06, 2014, 12:27 PM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
762 Posts
Dave, i built my Fun 51 stock. Lengthining the tail is not a bad idea. I;m guessing you will re shape the stab & elevator to a closer Shoestring look? Heck, you could even put on shaped wing tips. As far as the hooks holding the tank in place, thats the standard way i do it on ALL my profile models, R/C & C/L. You wont have any problems, i never have. My 51 is covered in Monokote. Heres a pic of it(notice i put the fuel tank on lefty side) PS, i also like Shoestrings! Heres a pic of my profile C/L Shoestring. Silkspan & dope. Please post pics of yours when you are finished...Gene
gene6029 is offline Find More Posts by gene6029
Old Sep 06, 2014, 02:34 PM
Joined May 2014
9 Posts
Gene
Thanks for writing in. Love your shoestring, I used to have a CL Shoestring years ago. Mine was lite red and maroon. I still work with sikspan and dope to this day. Yes, i have already changed the shape of the tail, and will be rounding the wingtips. Also I am considering the cheek cowls, maybe. I'll see when the models pulls together more. On your Fun 51, do you have any problems with the throttle pushrod? Even if i had partial cheek cowls, I was thinking of using braided cable for my throttle. And the partial cheek cowls would give me something to mount the throttle cable, and maybe the gas tank to.
Old Sep 06, 2014, 04:11 PM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
762 Posts
Dave,
I used both, braided cable & solid wire, for the throttle pushrod on my 51. ( I have had several engines on it over the years) Both worked well. I believe that was the determineing factor in locateing my fuel tank on the left side of the fuse....Gene
Old Sep 06, 2014, 09:36 PM
Yes, I am a RUSH fan!
Out Flying
Joined May 2002
258 Posts
This is how I did the throttle control on my Fun 51, but this is a 4-stroke, not sure what you're going to be using.
2112 is online now Find More Posts by 2112
Old Sep 06, 2014, 11:41 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene6029 View Post
PS, i also like Shoestrings! Heres a pic of my profile C/L Shoestring. Silkspan & dope. Please post pics of yours when you are finished...Gene
Nice Shoestring!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 07, 2014, 01:40 AM
Joined May 2014
9 Posts
Thanks for the pictures, greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
This is how I did the throttle control on my Fun 51, but this is a 4-stroke, not sure what you're going to be using.
This is what I thought I was seeing on the plans. I guess I am worrying to much, I though this design might wobble and vibrate to much. But it sounds like no one had any problems with this design. I have an old brand new KB .40 glow I found in the basement yesterday. I was thinking about using it. I am still undecided about the cheek cowls, and I know on the right side, because of the engine, there will not be much of one left. But i was thinking that a flexible cable would help with that modification. But I also need to remember, I did not want to retire on this build.
Old Sep 07, 2014, 01:57 AM
Joined May 2014
9 Posts
Do you think I am able to use these servos?

Like I said in the beginning, rc building is new to me. I've been buying rc stuff over the years when I find it at yards sales, hoping to get back into flying. In the instructions for the Fun 51, They call for TOWM4520 servos to be used. Tower Hobbies no longer sells these servos, so I do not know the specs on them to compare to other servos. I also found in my flea market hoard in the basement yesterday. Brand new Futaba S3003 servos. Do you think I am able to use these servos?
Old Sep 07, 2014, 04:52 AM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
762 Posts
Thats what i have in mine, they work just fine.....Gene
Old Sep 11, 2014, 06:10 PM
red76ta
USA, PA, Altoona
Joined Feb 2011
49 Posts
Pretty neat idea, Dave! Can't wait to see the direction your build goes, thanks for sending me the link.
As questioned above, I built a Great Planes, profile P-38 and mounted the tanks with screw eyes and rubber bands. The only issue that I found was the airplane lasted long enough for the rubber bands to rot and need replaced 2X, but that's a good problem.
On your question about adding lead to compensate for the added fuse length, can you fudge the engine forward just a little or add just a little length to the nose if it doesn't mess up the look too much...not sure how scale your getting with it...just a thought.
Thanks again for the plan conversion,
Bill
red76ta is offline Find More Posts by red76ta
Old Sep 16, 2014, 06:15 PM
United States, NY, Eldred
Joined Jun 2012
663 Posts
Davey, I've built two fun 51's and one extra special, which is the same as the 51, but a different body style. I built them all exactly as the plans say. My extra special just hit 100 flights this past weekend. I do full speed blenders every time I fly it and have had no issues with any of your concerns. Any question, feel free to ask. I'm going to buy another soon to have just in case. I couldn't imagine not having one. The first one I built I did a short build thread...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1775964
kimchiyuk is offline Find More Posts by kimchiyuk
Old Sep 17, 2014, 04:57 AM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
762 Posts
Thats a really nice looking Extra Special there.......Gene