HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2014, 05:27 PM
.... flyin' dirty ....
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Dec 2012
890 Posts
Just because it's a plain and simple fact...

Tom is one awesome fella !!

Thanks !!
DirtyThirty is offline Find More Posts by DirtyThirty
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:24 AM
Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2009
1,268 Posts
New quad for sale

Brand new Flip FPV Pro for sale; only a couple of tuning flights. $350

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2263656
LVSloper is offline Find More Posts by LVSloper
Old Oct 17, 2014, 05:59 PM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
501 Posts
Hi all,

I just came across this thread. I'm in the process of building a Flip FPV Pro-G using a Pixhawk. I've glanced over some of the 322 pages here and noticed some things and have some questions:

1. Wobble issues. A lot of owners seem to have this. Besides hard mounting the clean plate, has a solution been found? My guess is that the wobbles are due to twisting on the yaw axis and can be resolved by lowering yaw gains. Some solution attempts were to strap the clean plate to the dirty plate, but it was done near the CG. If yaw is the problem, then 2 straps are needed as far apart as possible. I've already added 4 extra dampeners to mine. Perhaps using harder dampeners will be better. I've also seen FC dirty mounting solutions that are fairly drastic such as cutting large holes into the clean plate. I don't understand why nobody decided to mount standoffs on the outer edge of the dirty plate and then mount a FC tray onto that so that it floats over the clean plate. Has anybody been able to compare the bobbins of the QAV500 vs the Flip?
If any Arducopter users are having wobble issues, then the culprit axis can be found in the log files.

2. Some Flips here and on the witespyquad site have a nice black box over the guts between the clean plates such. Any idea what that is? That's a nice way to keep dirt and turbulence out.
cmanley_nl is online now Find More Posts by cmanley_nl
Old Oct 18, 2014, 01:00 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2013
760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmanley_nl View Post
Hi all,

I just came across this thread. I'm in the process of building a Flip FPV Pro-G using a Pixhawk. I've glanced over some of the 322 pages here and noticed some things and have some questions:

1. Wobble issues. A lot of owners seem to have this. Besides hard mounting the clean plate, has a solution been found? My guess is that the wobbles are due to twisting on the yaw axis and can be resolved by lowering yaw gains. Some solution attempts were to strap the clean plate to the dirty plate, but it was done near the CG. If yaw is the problem, then 2 straps are needed as far apart as possible. I've already added 4 extra dampeners to mine. Perhaps using harder dampeners will be better. I've also seen FC dirty mounting solutions that are fairly drastic such as cutting large holes into the clean plate. I don't understand why nobody decided to mount standoffs on the outer edge of the dirty plate and then mount a FC tray onto that so that it floats over the clean plate. Has anybody been able to compare the bobbins of the QAV500 vs the Flip?
If any Arducopter users are having wobble issues, then the culprit axis can be found in the log files.

2. Some Flips here and on the witespyquad site have a nice black box over the guts between the clean plates such. Any idea what that is? That's a nice way to keep dirt and turbulence out.

I don't think your wobbles have anything to do with the frame. I have two of these frames, one with a Naza V2, the other one has a KK2.1.5 in it. Both are hard mounted and none of them are wobbling, not even in some wind.

Your gain settings might not be correctly set. Your prop and/or motors vibrate too much. Your motor prop compo not optimal. Or your ESC's software are not suitable for multi-rotors. Simonk flashed ESC's can fix a lot of problems, especially wobble issues.
Made in Austria is online now Find More Posts by Made in Austria
Old Oct 18, 2014, 04:19 AM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
501 Posts
Uhh, I'm still in the building process.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:51 AM
Learning to crash
Joined May 2014
390 Posts
Damn glad I own a Flip fpv frame. Took a fall from 200'+ this morning and only broke the four inner tab holes on the top plate. I hit my 400' max ceiling in the Vector and wasnt ready for it to take over. Pretty sure this was my fault as I was trying to regain control of it, but it would respond in time, and for some reason just shut down. Just ordered a new one to replace it. Thanks Hoverthings for building such a strong frame. And sorry for the crappy video. Still sorting out the flight pack interference.

00000003 (3 min 52 sec)
Tom T is online now Find More Posts by Tom T
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:01 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,118 Posts
Are you running your camera off the Vector Bec,there shouldn't be any motor noise?Sounds like your Rth wasn't setup yet?
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:02 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2013
760 Posts
Wow, I knew the Flip is a strong frame, but I didn't know it's that strong. I think I will try out a Vector in my next build. The OSD design and layout of that thing is amazing.
Made in Austria is online now Find More Posts by Made in Austria
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:05 PM
Learning to crash
Joined May 2014
390 Posts
yeah, the cameras tied into the Vector, but my IRC VTX is run off of my 4s flight pack. I'll be changing that over to a dedicated 3s lipo next week just for the VTX. Yeah, my RTH is setup correctly and I have used it quite often. I just have never had it to 400' before (my set limit in the Vector software) and wasnt ready for it to take control of the quad. It was actually returning home and I guess I freaked out and started throwin switches. I actually think I disarmed it while it was up there. I admit to the stupid pilot error on this one. Live. learn, and rebuild it. no biggie. It still flies though. I wish I could run my vtx off of a jst Y adapter along with the 12v camera, but I think it might be too much for the 1 amp max rating of that line from the Vector.
Last edited by Tom T; Oct 19, 2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:12 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,118 Posts
On the Vector you have a 5v and 12v bec 1amp each,should be enough to run everything.Dont think you would have the noise if using the Vector power.I'm running a Immersion 600mw and 12v fpv camera,about 1/2amp max.
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Last edited by Kauaiguy; Oct 19, 2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:18 PM
Learning to crash
Joined May 2014
390 Posts
Thanks Kauaiguy. I think I'll inquier about that possibilty in the Vector sub forum. I use an IRC 600mw 5.8 tx, and a Sony 600tvl HAD board camera. Not exactly sure how much it pulls tbh.

thanks for editing your post about what your video equipment is pulling. I think I'll try it and see.
Last edited by Tom T; Oct 19, 2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:35 PM
Australia, VIC, Point Cook
Joined Jul 2006
238 Posts
My Flip in the air

Just some quick pics
Loupy31 is offline Find More Posts by Loupy31
Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM
I only broke a prop
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Aug 2013
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmanley_nl View Post
Hi all,

Thanks for your interest in the clean cover: http://hoverdome.com/hoverdome-clean-build-cover.html

I've tried the QAV bobbins on a previous build but the screw separated easily. You only need the 4 bobbins that the Pro G comes with to get smooth video. The more you add makes it too rigid and defeats the purpose. Balance some quality props and make sure your "P" & "I" value on the gimbal controller isn't too high. I attached a link below that has NO post production image stabilization done to it. I fly 1100kv tmotors, on 10.3 tmotor carbon props, running a 4.5 3s = 8-10min flight time.

air 2 air quadcopter flight - feeling good (5 min 27 sec)

Also, I've been playing around with a 3 axis gimbal on a Flip FPV frame. I was wondering if anyone would have an interest for Hoverthings to create a plate design that would hold a 3 axis gimbal?

and before someone comments on my Naza GPS placement... I wasn't flying in GPS mode, needed to take the stand down to fit a 5000mah 4s battery on there to balance the CG
HOVERDOME is offline Find More Posts by HOVERDOME
Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
501 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the reply and the link.
My build isn't finished yet, so I'll test the normal clean mounting first.
But anyway I had this idea of dirty mounting the FC if needed:
The dirty plates are wider than the clean plates and take 4-40 screws. I can screw 4-40 metal standoffs in where the screws would normally go. Then into the standoffs, screw nylon standoffs. Then on the nylon standoffs mount a FC carrying plate that 'floats' just slightly above the clean plate. It's a relatively simple solution that doesn't require cutting into the existing plates.