HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:08 AM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,400 Posts
Help!
Plug Standardisation

When I first started into electrics most components came without plugs fitted so I started out fitting 4mm bullets all round. After a couple of events whereby the magic smoke appeared when I wasn't paying enough attention to plugging things together I changed to bullets on the motor side and Deans on the power side.
Since then I find that most of the items I get from Hobby King have smaller bullets fitted and the batteries have different connectors also (JXT?)

This raises the question, should I change my existing set up to be compable with the supplied items, do I change the new items to match what I have previously fitted or do I make up short adaptor leads to fit the two different types together? I would also have to change my charging plugs.

I like the idea of keeping it all interchangeable. Currently it's about a 50/50 split

What do others use as your standard?

What are thoughts on this dilemma?
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:33 AM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
975 Posts
I used to use Deans but ended up having a lot of problems with them. While I was looking around for a substitute HobbyKing started selling the XT60 connectors, which I guess are the connectors you're seeing on your newer batteries. I have changed over to them exclusively for high current applications.

Some people have been very quick to say bad things about XT60s but I've been using them for several years in electric gliders and UAVs that draw 75A and sometimes more without a single problem. Unlike Deans they fit together securely but are easy to get apart.

For low-current applications (10A or less) I use JST connectors for preference.

I also have a small box full of various adapters I've made at different times- Deans to 4mm bullets, XT60 to JST, XT60 to servo plug and JST for charging NiMH Rx batteries, and so forth. I also have a number of connectors with 2mm or 3.5mm bullets on them so I can quickly make up adapters to suit most combinations of connectors.

I'd like to standardise but for me it just isn't practical- and we haven't even mentioned lipo balance plugs yet!
Zephyr41 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr41
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:31 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,490 Posts
"I used to use Deans but ended up having a lot of problems with them."

I have kept returning to Deans. The only problem I have ever had was with the Deans clones, from wherever they came from.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:51 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,454 Posts
I have been using Dean's since forever. As Les said, the only problem has been with some of the clones. I do, however, leave the 4mm standard bullet connectors on my 4S batteries so that I can tell at a glance what's what. I have 3300 and 4000 4S lipos for my FMS birds, everything else runs 3S. Saves confusion on the charger as well. Just personal preference, I think. Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:34 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,781 Posts
I use Deans and JSTs on my batteries depending on anticipated current draw, JSTs on my small brushed motors and bullets on my brushless ones. My models are parkflyer sized, so my needs are fairly limited, at least so far.

Steve
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:55 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,442 Posts
I dumped the Deans about 2 years ago, when I discovered XT60's. So much easier to solder it isn't funny (and I can wield a pretty good iron). They come apart and go together much easier, too, and there is certainly no loss in current carrying capacity that I can tell. I've since standardized and switched everything to XT60's.
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:27 PM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesUyeda View Post
"I used to use Deans but ended up having a lot of problems with them."

I have kept returning to Deans. The only problem I have ever had was with the Deans clones, from wherever they came from.

Les
I had major problems with genuine Deans- one pair of contacts can keep the other pair just a tiny distance apart and although the spring makes contact it isn't adequate for 50A! It may have been a bad batch of mouldings or something like that, but I had enough trouble to want to get away from Deans connectors for good.

Such is their reputation that I looked everywhere else for the problem before considering the connectors. I never had any issues with the knock-off T-connectors from HK but found some other Deans clones to be very dodgy.

Cheers
Rich
Zephyr41 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr41
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:48 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,095 Posts
I think that some of the problems people have with Deans Ultras is due to overheating during soldering and deforming them or loosening terminals so that they don't mate as designed. Good soldering technique with 60/40 rosin core leaded, (not lead free), solder should make quick well flowed solder joints while not damaging the connectors
I think that some Deans problems are also due to arcing and burning the contact faces when connecting them. Trying to use old worn/dirty Deans Ultras over and over again may lead to reduced ability to conduct current.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:10 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,781 Posts
I certainly have difficulty soldering Deans connectors consistently. I just Googled XT60s, and they look like they'd be easier to solder.

Steve
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:35 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,490 Posts
"I think that some of the problems people have with Deans Ultras is due to overheating during soldering and deforming them or loosening terminals so that they don't mate as designed."

That would take one H of a lot more heat than any of my Weller soldering equipment could supply, including my guns.

Les
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:52 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,678 Posts
I have switched most of my batteries to XT60s from Deans and Power Poles after seeing Frank's set-up at the end of May. Once I got the right technique for soldering they are pretty easy, although I did wreck one set pretty comprehensively. I've kept Deans on a couple of 1300 mAh 2-cells because they are smaller than the XT60s and easier to tidy away and I find the JST connectors very easy to use for indoor/<10A models. The Power Poles are great for many applications but are just impossible to wire up easily on batteries larger than 2200 mAh because the wire size is far too big.

One thing about JST-equipped batteries that I can't reconcile with other types and general safety: the bare contacts are exposed on the male plug and hidden on the female one, but it's the male plug that the batteries come with. I considered switching all my JSTs to the other way round. Am I being paranoid? Anwsers on a postcard please.
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
I've been using Anderson power poles since the early 80's without any problems. Even use them on my 1/5 brushless mustang running 12s. We use the larger 150 amp Andersons on 60/72 volt mine rides that can pull 400a bursts.
Dasbeermeister is offline Find More Posts by Dasbeermeister
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:30 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,677 Posts
The LHS got me a pack of Deans with my first plane, so that's what I used at first. For ESC/motor connections, it's 3.5mm bullets throughout.

When I started buying LiPos at Hobby King, I considered switching everything to XT-60 (which are easier to plug and unplug, I find). In the end, I made/bought several XT-60-to-Deans adaptors, which allow me to plug everything with everything. That way, didn't have to resolder batteries or ESCs!

So my recommendation would be, unless you're flying high amps/volts systems or really small planes, just use adaptors. The weight is negligible, and it saves so much time and effort. (And, in some of my planes, the extra 1" length of the adaptor helps me tuck the wiring in better.)
V-Man is online now Find More Posts by V-Man
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:32 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,490 Posts
"So my recommendation would be, unless you're flying high amps/volts systems or really small planes, just use adaptors. "

I tried that very early in the game. Results were that I could never find the adapter that I needed right NOW.

Les
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:28 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,755 Posts
I agree.

I use Dean's. Only ever had a problem with one, the spring contact broke (yes, it was used a lot). I have had other failures, but, those were due to my soldering, not the connector.

I like also like Power Poles but never bothered to convert to them.

The key is to standardize on one type connector for high current and another for low current.

For low current I use the Dean's small 2 pin. Another alternative is to use the Dean's 4 pin. Just use two pins for pos and two for neg.

Mike, I would recommend you change your JST connectors. The battery should never have exposed pins, especially with LiPo's.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb