HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined May 2011
369 Posts
Discussion
Power to HFP/HFGPS: can you replicate this issue?

Hello everybody,
I just resolved my "HFGPS not recognized while GPS module is plugged in". Basically when the HFP/HFGPS are powered with a 6.5V ubec, plugging in the stock D2523T GPS, the HFGPS is not recognized by the HFP on startup(2 beeps instead of 4, nothing but faint blinking purple light on the the HFGPS.

Today I received a replacement D2523T GPS from sparkfun and when I noticed the problem persited with the brand new GPS I decied to power the HFP directly from a 3S lipo...problem gone both new and stock D2523T GPS worked perfectly fine(didn't fly it yet...just behaved as expected: 4 beeps...purple light on the HFGPS then red) Can anyone replicate this behavior(HFP blackboard, HFGPS first generation)?

While I'd like to use a direct lipo connection to the HFP so I can see the pack voltage on the OSD, I noticed that the voltage control chips on the front of the board get quite warm even on a 3S battery...so I'd rather power the board with a 6.5v supply...but then again i'd like to be able to use my HFGPS...does anyone else notice this as well?
IconFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IconFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:14 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,801 Posts
I think this has been discussed before and it was said that 6v is just not enough – looks like you have just proven that once again.

I set my BEC to 8v and have never had a problem. Get the CC BEC so that you can program it to any value between 4.8 and 9.0v.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined May 2011
369 Posts
Thanks RC Man, I just looked at the CC BEC and it looks very intersting...I'm probably going to order one.

Did you notice that warming up of the two regulator chips near the power supply when you power directly with a lipo?
IconFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IconFlyer
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:37 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IconFlyer View Post
Did you notice that warming up of the two regulator chips near the power supply when you power directly with a lipo?

I have never checked. When I start flying on hot weather I will use my heat gun to check that out.
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man