SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 19, 2003, 01:54 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Hello, My name is Jay, and I fly ugly...

When a plane first crashes, or has a ding, or is stepped on by accident, it is JUST starting to get it's character. Sure it's not as pretty as it was prior to the 'incidences' but that crunch makes the plane fly better than the designers could have hoped.

I had a bandit, and and I SWEAR it flew better with strapping tape. It got to the point where if I didn't have a piece of tape on the plane I was scared to fly it. The plane simply flew better ugly.

I have friends that refuse to fly ugly. If it has a scratch that can be masked, then they will tolerate it. But let the scratch becom a crack? And it's time to sell the plane. I submit that these men have never known what's it's like to truely fly.

Yes, my name is Jay and I fly ugly.
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2003, 06:48 AM
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Jul 2002
1,249 Posts
Confess! You have just returned from your firt Wingo outing, right!

// Fredrik Wergeland
Sweden
www.flyingmodels.org
The Great Electric Motor Test
Fredrik W is offline Find More Posts by Fredrik W
Old Aug 19, 2003, 09:11 AM
Santiago Pudahuel, Chile
Joined May 2003
1,286 Posts
Why did you change your avatar?

JL
JLSalas is offline Find More Posts by JLSalas
Old Aug 19, 2003, 09:22 AM
Aging Busdriver
Florida Keys
Joined May 2003
146 Posts
Hello, my name is Ed. I named my first plane "DT Flyer" (DT = duct tape). It also ended up with about 1/2 a pound of epoxy to hold the smaller pieces "flying in formation". I recycled its parts when it eventually got too heavy to fly.
Captain Ed is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ed
Last edited by Captain Ed; Aug 19, 2003 at 09:25 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 10:05 AM
Rogers, MN. USA
Joined Mar 2003
593 Posts
Re: Hello, My name is Jay, and I fly ugly...

Quote:
Originally posted by soholingo

Yes, my name is Jay and I fly ugly.
[monotone]Hi, Jay.[/monotone]
MondoMor is offline Find More Posts by MondoMor
Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:19 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Have you entered the 12 Step Ugly program yet? And does Ugly ever become Disgusting?
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:56 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
I myself fly ugly!!! However, I'm trying to change that by actually using iron on covering such as econokote (doing my BOP).
Generally, just use tape. All of my home made aircraft are defintely not what you would find in a LHS. They sure aint pretty.
But, they do fly and some of them awfully darn good. Hay, if its going over 30 mph at 100 feet, you aint gonna see it anyways!
And, there is also a step below ugly....fugly! I won't explain that one!!!!

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Aug 19, 2003, 01:04 PM
Master ReKitter
San Diego,Ca, USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,756 Posts
With my name you know I had to respond! I basically learned to fly on glow Combat Airmadillos (it's tank like durability appealed to me early on...). My most flown plane now, by a wide margin is my brushless Slow Stick. I like rugged planes that don't break your heart and wallet when you ding, scratch, or tear them. This plane fulfills my flying needs quite nicely. From low level 1 foot off the deck cruising to specking out in 12mph winds, it does it all.
Sure I can appreciate a pretty plane like anyone else, but when I want a grab-'n -go plane, the SS and formerly the FMA Razor, are always ready.
My flying buddy/mentor always ragged on me about my ugly choice of planes, hence the nickname. BTW, I fly far more often than he does, as I always have something ready to go. His planes are always waiting for completion to his perfect standards.
(and I really envy his skill and results )
uglyplane is offline Find More Posts by uglyplane
Old Aug 19, 2003, 01:24 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Man, I'm just the opposite - I hate it when an airplane gets all dinged up. My slopers are workhorses, so I accept the ugliness, but I really prefer my planes purdy.
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Aug 19, 2003, 03:20 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Never fly ugly airplanes - it's insulting the air that keeps them up. The sky is never more beautiful than when a model aircraft is flying through it - why take liberties? If you really upset the sky, it might stop holding your model up.

It's not that the sky isn't broad minded over ugly - we've all seen them. Zagis that look like Parcels R Us taped them up. Zagis. Models with the radio gear on the outside. My Four Star 40 with a naked Hacker on the nose (Forgive me sky, for I have sinned, or at least not built a cowl to cover that purple pimple ).

Crashed models? It's not really a crash until you can't fix the rudder Everything else is just an incident or CFIT

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Aug 19, 2003, 03:46 PM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
Being a closet perfectionist, I am strictly prohibited from flying ugly. After Saturday morning flying, any of the fleet that got any dings or damage must be repaired to original or better condition before I go back to the building board and work on the current project.

Hi! I'm Jim and I fly perfectly with perfect planes (or so I delude myself....)
Jim Walker is offline Find More Posts by Jim Walker
Old Aug 19, 2003, 04:28 PM
Baptised Heathen
Bundaberg, Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
1,365 Posts
I fly ugly, but I'm considering plastic surgery.
batman is offline Find More Posts by batman
Old Aug 19, 2003, 05:33 PM
Idaho
Joined May 2002
1,067 Posts
I'll confess to liking planes that look like someone cared at least once. I do try to build planes that are at least 20-20's, but I will confess to having a GWS Tigermoth that has seen MUCH better days. I'd stop flying it, but it just brings too much pleasure to retire the poor old thing. (did you know that fabric bandaids really stick well to foam?)

JT
DEPENDS is offline Find More Posts by DEPENDS
Old Aug 19, 2003, 06:59 PM
An Original!
Joined Aug 2001
955 Posts
I just built my first ugly plane last month, a Zagi taped foamy pylon. Boy does it fly good.
Actually it started to fly its best after the first couple crashes. Must be all the wrinkles in the tape.
Gliderguy is offline Find More Posts by Gliderguy
Old Aug 19, 2003, 08:28 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
A crashed plane simply can't fly better than it was when it was new, unless something was wrong with it before the crash and you fixed it unknowingly in the repair... Flying ugly has it's hazards.. that little crack that is easily overlooked may become a failure point in the airframe under high stress conditions... and of course every repair means the plane gains weight... .. I prefer a plane in new, or like new condition, I trust it's integrity more.
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic