HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2010, 07:20 AM
USA, IN, Granger
Joined Feb 2009
16 Posts
Discussion
Laminating Readiboard

Hey guys, i've been searching for about 1.5 hrs now on the forums, haha, reading a ton of threads about readiboard and foams in general. I've used depron before quite a bit, but i picked up a bunch of sheets of the dollar store readiboard. I believe its about 4.5mm, a bit too thin, but laminating together will give fantastic 9mm sheet.

What the heck is a good way to bond 2 20"x30" sheets together? seems like a lot of work to try and spread a glue over that big an area, does the 3M77 spray glue work well?

On the other hand, i might like you all to say that its impossible to do, that way i wont have to buy another box full of servos to have on hand for all these builds, haha!
kkurtz is offline Find More Posts by kkurtz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2010, 07:40 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
I've used duro all purpose spray adhesive numerous times. On small peices, I just use hot glue and then seal the edges with a little bead as well.

The only time it didn't work well was leaving the paper on. (Don't want to get into that debate either) But, paper on is heavy. There are much better, IMHO, (usual spars bamboo or CF) ways to add strength without the weight. I almost always seal the edges of my laminates with a bead of hot glue or packing tape to protect the LE. I would think the 3m stuff would also work as well. If it doesn't eat the foam... The Duro product has instructions on the label for gluing foam.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Nov 03, 2010, 07:49 AM
USA, IN, Granger
Joined Feb 2009
16 Posts
Ok cool, maybe i'l go grab some of that duro. The paper isnt a prob, i get it off in under a minute, so i just hang out and do 5 or 10 sheets at a time, easy peasy
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:16 AM
Fremont, CA
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,671 Posts
Suggest to use 3M 77. Be sure to weight down ALL the area with bricks or such. I failed to do that once and had many voids in the middle of the panels.
djacob7 is offline Find More Posts by djacob7
Old Nov 03, 2010, 11:01 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Gorilla Glue also works well. Just use an old gift card or the like as a trowel to spread it thin and even. Then I mist the other sheet with water. Press together, then weight it down overnight to cure. I've been wanting to try the 3M spray, but haven't yet.
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Nov 03, 2010, 11:18 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,783 Posts
I use gorilla glue (the white fast cure version) same as ezglider. however I haven't laminated full sheets, I cut out individual and laminate the two(or more) layers. That allows me to add spars, coffee stirrers(control rod guides) etc. and I don't waste any glue in offal. It's also easier to weight down single parts adequately, I'd think.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2010, 12:00 PM
USA, IN, Granger
Joined Feb 2009
16 Posts
Thanks a bunch guys. Im doin some test pieces, one with 3M77 and the other with the GG spread out.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 04:17 PM
illinois
Joined Jun 2001
597 Posts
kkurtz, what will you be using the laminated sheets for ?

There's also a thread comparing different glues used for foam building.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1235953

Foam-Tac is rather new and looks interesting much like Ultimate RC foam glue.
wim5150 is online now Find More Posts by wim5150
Last edited by wim5150; Nov 03, 2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 05:25 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,275 Posts
if you like what you get with GG try elmers ultimate its much the same as original gg but spreads much better . laminating a biuld right now with a water based contact cement . It seems to glue quite well but i havent tried sanding it yet and i dont think it will sand very nice . we'll see
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:34 PM
builds more then he flies
United States, WI, Almena
Joined Oct 2010
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZglider View Post
Gorilla Glue also works well. Just use an old gift card or the like as a trowel to spread it thin and even. Then I mist the other sheet with water. Press together, then weight it down overnight to cure. I've been wanting to try the 3M spray, but haven't yet.
i agree with the gorilla glue method. i usually laminate mine then cut the part i want out of the 2 sheets. it DOES make it harder to sand tho =/

also what works well is epoxy. stiffens the foam up well too. but it needs to be thin epoxy or spread verrrry thin.

I work for 3M. i get scotch weld epoxy CHHHEEEAAAAP. i have a few gallons of it now. and it cost me a few bucks. so thats mainly what i use when im not in a hurry (1 hour+ cure time). i got some 3M 90 spray glue. NOT good. i sprayed test foam from different distances and no matter what it eats foam.
toki891 is offline Find More Posts by toki891
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:04 PM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
I've used both 3M 77 and Gorilla Glue to laminate Readiboard. I prefer the 3M 77 because it's easier to use. With GG I spread it on one surface and then try to scrape off as much as I can leaving as thin a layer as possible. One problem with GG is that it can be somewhat difficult to hot wire cut the laminate. If I going to hot wire cut a laminate made with GG I find it best to to cut it before the GG fully cures.
jimsp is offline Find More Posts by jimsp
Old May 03, 2011, 09:53 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2009
497 Posts
15 mins exopy
bigtruck169 is online now Find More Posts by bigtruck169
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: keyless remote
Old May 03, 2011, 02:23 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Feb 2010
132 Posts
would laminating not add a lot of weight? Epoxy is likely to be very heavy, GG probably much less so especially if spread thin.
I would go for stringer's method and laminate as and when needed. Also if laminating pieces I would think you do not necessarily need to spread glue on the whole surface - the borders + a cross should be sufficient and incur less weight penalty.
just my 2 cents - I have used yellow aliphatic glue for that purpose before for the tail on one of my builds, spreading on the whole surface and have a funny feeling it has made it very heavy.
leleopard is offline Find More Posts by leleopard
Old May 03, 2011, 02:54 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
3M 77 for laminating.
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan