SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:18 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
The Don's Avatar
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,158 Posts
The three RC clubs I belong to are 35 minutes, 40 minutes, and 60 minutes away from me. There is nothing wrong with asking the metroparks but there seems to be an attitude of that there is a great "wrong" that must be righted against the "idiots in charge". Large group protests? Ousting people out if they do not comply to RC modeler demands? Come on, I believe a little reality check is in order. Send them a letter and if they say no then move on with your life.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:35 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,465 Posts
I don't have a problem because there are dozens of places to fly within 15 minutes of me plus a 10 month long flying season (and motorcycle riding season as well ) but no RC hobby shops for 60 miles Can't win them all...

I just feel bad for the potential RC pilots in Cleveland. I feel sorry for the people like the father and 8 year old son who want to take out their Super Cub on occasion. Or how about the 12 year old kid who lives a block away from the park? I would never have gotten into this hobby if I had to join an airfield to start out. I mean, how many people started their hobby thanks to Sagamore? I'd really like to see it happen with the Metroparks. Maybe it won't happen. But we won't know unless we try. Besides, most people couldn't care less about somebody flying an RC airplane so long as it doesn't make too much noise. There is a written noise restriction rule for the parks.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:36 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Send them a letter and if they say no then move on with your life.
This is exactly what I'm advocating. Nothing more.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:45 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
The Don's Avatar
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,158 Posts
The metroparks are not the only parks in northern Ohio. People around here fly at churches, school yards, high school football fields, parking lots, city parks, soccer fields, baseball fields etc. Heck you use to fly down at Transportation Blvd!
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:12 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
I think you guys have changed my mind. I'm going to follow other people's lead and just start looking out for #1. There's really no point in trying to start a process that can't be won for people who don't even want the end result. I'm going to approach the Metroparks about getting a personal pass to fly in Hinckley. It might work, it might not. I can't say that I've flown there much anyhow and frankly, there are lots of trees.

So Don and Cliff, you win. I'll take the purely selfish approach and try to get permission for one. Everyone else can fend for themselves.
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 25, 2010, 06:36 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
The Don's Avatar
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,158 Posts
[QUOTE=HappyKillmore;14935573]
I'll take the purely selfish approach and try to get permission for one. QUOTE]

I am sure the endless phone calls and debate with Metroparks will be more fun for you than any flying you would do with permission. Having read many of your posts and threads over the years the "battle" seems to be your true hobby not RC planes. Be it the battle of balsa vs foam, the sellers on RC groups, the AMA, etc......when one ends start or find another to keep the "battle" going .
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:26 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
You probably right....and you'll be right on my heels to tell me when I'm wrong. Seems like I've got a shadow sometimes.
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:49 AM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore View Post
...and you'll be right on my heels to tell me when I'm wrong. Seems like I've got a shadow sometimes.
make that two shadows.
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:54 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdirt View Post
make that two shadows.
Sheesh...you're right (thanks for joining the fray sgtdirt)!
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:45 AM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Having read many of your posts and threads over the years the "battle" seems to be your true hobby not RC planes. Be it the battle of balsa vs foam, the sellers on RC groups, the AMA, etc......when one ends start or find another to keep the "battle" going .
Wow! Let the insults fly why don't you? I must be reading in different areas because I find many of Paul's post and threads very helpful. Heck, if it weren't for his incredible work on the Remzibi OSD (which he did for free) I would never have experienced FPV flight.

Just look at what he's working on now: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1102975 or read his blog.

Really guys, this is awful. Can we stop with the insults and cheap shots? Not necessarily referring to Jack as I'm fairly certain he's just joking as usual.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:50 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
The Don's Avatar
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore View Post
Seems like I've got a shadow sometimes.
Hardly following when this thread was posted in the NCEF forum

Lets compare these two approaches:

1) I would like to fly in the Metroparks, I will contact them and see if we can educate them about the progresses of RC models and see if we can get a designated RC area or at least lift the restriction on certain types of RC planes.

or

2) I have found a loophole in the rules and since the rules are stupid anyhow and the people who run the metroparks are idiots I will do what is necessary so we can fly and it lets get people removed from their positions if they don't comply with our demands, I am a taxpayer and they do what we say! Stick it to the government.

BIG difference in attitude.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:55 AM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
no cheap shot intended. i lurk through Happy's post when ever i see them.

Happy is one those guy's that gets something in his head and won't quit until;
1) he's proven so wrong that he retreats.
2) wins
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 25, 2010, 01:24 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdirt View Post
no cheap shot intended. i lurk through Happy's post when ever i see them.

Happy is one those guy's that gets something in his head and won't quit until;
1) he's proven so wrong that he retreats.
2) wins
I pretty much agree with that assessment. I'm also good at beating dead horses (See Anderson PowerPoles vs Deans). I also, as Cliff and Don pointed out, have lots of free time. Actually, some call it "family responsibilities" which keep me at home or at the kid's end of the gym or the playground. I used to keep a plane in my trunk 3 seasons out of the year just in case I found a good place to fly. That's not happening right now... because my son (2 1/2) and my daughter who will be here in 11 days (scheduled) either are currently or are about to consume most if not all of my daylight hours. Thus, I get computer time but not much flying time.

Even in the middle of the day, my son takes a 1 1/2 - 3 hour nap. But that doesn't mean I can jump in the car and go flying. I've got the option of flying my biplane in the circle, but that gets old after a while.

I'm also very sarcastic which comes across pretty thick in my posts here on RCG. It's not well received by the thin skinned among us. Generally, my intentions are good in hopes of getting more people into flying (See the Brunswick field, OSD and UAV threads and my attempts here in the Metroparks thread) but my tact may not jive with those that are in it for themselves. Selfishness disgusts me for the most part. I'm in no way anti-capitalist. That's selfishness but in a very different way. That's earning a living and taking care of your family. You've got to look out for #1 (which might not be yourself if you've got kids).

The original Metroparks thread (RIP) really got me fired up because of the level of selfishness shown be certain posters. It disgusted me....literally turned my stomach. So I'm glad he/they can sleep at night... but that's not the kind of person I can be friends with.

I even enjoy Dirt's input in these threads. I think he's got a sense of humor similar to mine and I believe he's not taking it personally...I'm not. He's got a sharp tongue and doesn't pull punches. I get that. But Don's assessment of #1 and #2 is so slanted. I did #1. I talked about #2 in the thread he deleted. The cool thing about the Internet is it's a place to discuss issues. I started the discussion and then people showed up and said I was to stop because of their own selfish needs. No thanks.

Thanks for sticking up for me Alex. You're one of if not THE most helpful people I've ever met (in this hobby or elsewhere). I really appreciate your lack of selfishness and the way you help anybody interested to get into our fun hobby. It's the people like you that really grow this hobby.
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:12 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
The Don's Avatar
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,158 Posts
For the record, the reason I bit bucketed the last thread was because a PM was posted which I feel was tacky but also because of the tone of the posts was getting rather nasty and then the thread was closed so felt it needed to just be canned. Not because I felt the topic was not to be discussed.

Paul, if you truly were using approach #1 but only talking like #2 then I apologize for interpreting your posts incorrectly.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2010, 07:39 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore View Post
Thanks for sticking up for me Alex. You're one of if not THE most helpful people I've ever met (in this hobby or elsewhere). I really appreciate your lack of selfishness and the way you help anybody interested to get into our fun hobby. It's the people like you that really grow this hobby.
You are very welcome Paul. Don't discount yourself on your contributions either. I used to sit back and never take a stand for anyone, especially myself. However lately I have been much more readily taking a stand for what I believe in. Sure sometimes I'm wrong and thus I always reserve the right to change my mind when somebody presents me with the proper facts to which I am mistaken. This is probably because I now run 4 crews of men at work. You need to be bold and stand for what you believe in and when you are wrong admit it and move on. That's how you earn respect.

I have some pretty thick skin, but underneath it I know I have a sharp tongue that I am very careful not to use improperly. I will not allow someone to treat a friend or family member harshly unless they truly deserve it.

Now getting back on track, I wish you luck with opening up the Metroparks to small parkflyers. Granted, I'm not too optimistic about the level of success you'll have, but then again, you did a great job with the Brunswick field.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Airco DH-2 Part deux D Johnson Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 13 Apr 07, 2010 04:50 PM
Discussion The Pounding Part Deux...Free Speech beats Statism MtnGoat Life, The Universe, and Politics 9 Jan 21, 2010 07:59 PM
Discussion Beta Detail - dmgoedde part deux CrashingDutchman UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles 60 Sep 10, 2009 02:53 AM
Alert Permit Needed for R/C in Cleveland Metroparks! romranger North Coast Electric Flyers 21 Sep 06, 2006 07:55 AM