SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2009, 04:57 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Build Log
Footy class 50' Cutter

Well, here we go again. After spending almost 2 months in the design phase and still not getting close to what I need; I'm going to build a modified 88% Razor 3 hull, make it a cutter, and throw a gaff rig on it while I mess with my designs over the winter.

I'm looking at roughly 22.5oz for the high end of the total weight and 19.5oz or so for the low (both with a 5 oz bulb, included in the calculations). That's just an estimate, I do not know exactly how much brass I'll use, but it won't be the full 6oz!

As for the rig it's self, it's going to be the type of gaff rigs used be the America's Cup yachts in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Needless to say it's going to be a BIG rig!

Now I'll let my helmsman take it away...
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Last edited by Yellow Baron; Nov 17, 2009 at 08:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:46 AM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Got my keel and rudder assembly glued on last night. Sorry for the low quality, my camera is on the fritz, had to use my laptop's web cam.
Last edited by Yellow Baron; Nov 17, 2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:41 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Got the hull "stained" (realy thinned paint) and I am applying the clear coats.

Also, I've decided on a rig. the hull has very simmilar proportions to the yacht Elf. I saw the sail plan for that particular yacht in an issue of "Wooden Boat", can anyone point me to that sail plan?
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:05 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,410 Posts
1888 Elf stuff here, including sailplan:
http://www.woodboatbuilder.com/

Photo from the website, very beautiful boat.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Last edited by Brooks; Nov 20, 2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:31 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Thanks a million Brooks

Well, I haven't been able to find the other camera, so it maybe be web cam pics for a while.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 09:55 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Ok, I found the other camera lastnight, so here are some decent quality pics.

The hull was planked with 1/6x1/4 inch balsa strips, sanded, and then stained with thined water based acrylic paint to match Endeavour's paint sceme. The colors didn't come out quite as rich as I had hoped, but that can be changed by leaving the stain on for longer before you whipe it down, or by not thining it quite so much (I thined the paint to about the consistancy of milk). after all of that 3 coats of clear lacquer were applied, then sanded, and that process was repated twice. Once the deck if glued in I will apply two more coats and sand them, then a final coat with out sanding.

The rig, well, the rig is huge! The mast stands a full two feet from the deck. the gaff sail can be fruled up against the mast by having it's supporting spar (sorry, don't know the name) fold up to the mast; to do this the rigging lines from the mast head to the spar, and from the spar to the gaff spar can be pulled closed or opened to a full 10". All of the The sails are cotton and have adjustable tension. They are held to the mast by brass rings spaced one inch appart along the bottom and leading edges. All of the running gear, spacers, guides, nails, and latches are brass.

Next post should have the boat built, riged, and ready to go.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 04:27 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Joined Aug 2003
3,410 Posts
Looks very pretty, Fred.

With such a tall sailplan, you will need plenty of righting force, particularly when the cotton sails get wet (say in a knockdown). You might want to test that before shipping out to sea. I've had models with cloth sails lay over, and not recover once the surface tension go ahold of the sails.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 06:50 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Brooks,
I'm kinda wondering about that my self. the only way I can get more righting force is to make the keel deeper (i'm realy low as it is). If this one doesn't work I'll add sectons in 6 inch increments.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:15 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Pics, fully rigged. A note: there is no wind, the heel is from the weight of the boom it's self . I'm going to probably build a 75% rig (about 21" in stead of 28"), don't know if it will help much though. I wonder how an 18" hull would do with the current rig...
Last edited by Yellow Baron; Nov 27, 2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 05:58 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Joined Aug 2003
3,410 Posts
It looks to me like you have too much sail for the hull, so reduction should help.

You might check your scaleing factor - it just may be due to the perspective of the photos, but it appears that you might have more sail up than the original "Elf". The gaff topsail, for instance, looks bigger than the Elf's.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 08:20 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I just double checked all my numbers, somewhere I messed up, the rig should be 21" off the deck, not 28". So the proposed 25% reduction would actualy put me back on track .
Old Nov 27, 2009, 09:25 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Joined Aug 2003
3,410 Posts
Been there done that. Arithemetic, curse of the building class :-))
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:27 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Haha, no kidding!
Old Dec 08, 2009, 10:19 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I've been tinkering with the rig, nearly done, will have to post pics it soon. sailing looks to be about... April .
Old Dec 10, 2009, 05:43 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Got the card sail mockups done, need to tweak the gaff top sail just a hair (like an inch or so).