SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:08 AM
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Jul 2010
48 Posts
Alex, You have to cut half way between the two. So the wing and aileron are closed by the spar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abroadhurst94 View Post
Anyone who's built the wing using the depron ribs and sheeting method, I need some help.

The part separating the aileron and the wing with two parallel lines stating cut this area. Do I cut one line half way between the two, or cut on each line and remove the centre bit?

Attachment 5556475

TIA,
Alex
proton999 is offline Find More Posts by proton999
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:53 PM
Canada, AB, Champion
Joined Aug 2012
268 Posts
Did anyone try it KFM airfoil wing?
superrcflier is offline Find More Posts by superrcflier
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:12 AM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,535 Posts
I don't think, but with a good carbon fiber tube as wing spar, i think it will fly well too and it can save some weight.

May be you could be the first to try ?

I stay tuned
Dreamcatcher is offline Find More Posts by Dreamcatcher
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:14 PM
Canada, AB, Champion
Joined Aug 2012
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
I don't think, but with a good carbon fiber tube as wing spar, i think it will fly well too and it can save some weight.

May be you could be the first to try ?

I stay tuned
Already completed KFM4 wing, looks very nice so far, will upload pictures soon,
Thanks for the plan, Such a great looking model, I am fast builder and hopefully see her in the sky soon, will update as I go.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:20 AM
Canada, AB, Champion
Joined Aug 2012
268 Posts
Almost there

Special thanks to Dreamcatcher for this magnificent 3D plane, almost finish, all electronics installed just need to locate ESC and battery, I need help in few things before I cover top and bottom fuse, first Where is COG (I think 3" from leading edge ) secondly where you guys put the battery? much appreciated if you can let me know.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:14 PM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,535 Posts
You're Welcome,

For COG : see post #38 :

Quote:
Different Center of gravity locations have been tested.
It seems that the best COG location for 3D flights is 8cm from the leading edge measured from the fuselage/wing junction area.

At this point, the aircraft is a bit tail heavy balanced but still fly safely
The lipo battery on the funtana is located inside the fuselage, under the wing, fixed with auto adhesive velcro (near all the area under the wing is a visit door as you can see the details in the #40 post)

The place to fix it depends of it weight and shape, the velcro allows to ajust the COG flights after flights.

I really like your paint scheme.
I hope you will post some videos of your Funtana with KF airfoil.

i started to design a Sukhoi 26 with a round fuselage and a KF airfoil wing, many month ago.... but the free time is missing and i have some other planes to finish before starting to building projects

Regards
Last edited by Dreamcatcher; Feb 26, 2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:58 PM
Canada, AB, Champion
Joined Aug 2012
268 Posts
Quote:
You're Welcome,

For COG : see post #38 :

The lipo battery on the funtana is located inside the fuselage, under the wing, fixed with auto adhesive velcro (near all the area under the wing is a visit door as you can see the details in the #40 post)

The place to fix it depends of it weight and shape, the velcro allows to ajust the COG flights after flights.

I really like your paint scheme.
I hope you will post some videos of your Funtana with KF airfoil.

i started to design a Sukhoi 26 with a round fuselage and a KF airfoil wing, many month ago.... but the free time is missing and i have some other planes to finish before starting to building projects

Regards
Maiden today, it was windy and tail heavy but I did fly around 6 min and landed safely, battery was above landing gear plate so I had to move behind motor area COG is spot on now, will try later when wind goes away.
Weight 625g with 1.3mAH 3s battery
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:34 PM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,535 Posts
Great news !

As your 170w engine is probably lighter than my 220w (near 85 grammes) , i think it's logic that you will have to move forward the lipo.

How was the power ?
enough thrust ?

have a good night
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:47 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lincoln
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
Well I finally got the right wing all built after being away for the weekend and working last night but am not at all happy with how it turned out..

This was my first time building a wing of this style with ribs and sheeting and it shows.
I will get the parts recut as soon as possible and give it another go.
Hopefully next time it will go better
abroadhurst94 is offline Find More Posts by abroadhurst94
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:27 PM
Rhys - Forever Learning
United Kingdom, Wales, Nelson
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
What was the problem Alex?
Rhys
rhysduk is offline Find More Posts by rhysduk
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:51 PM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2011
591 Posts
I would love to see a video of the KFM airfoil! Nice looking plane . . .
PyroMan is offline Find More Posts by PyroMan
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:39 PM
Canada, AB, Champion
Joined Aug 2012
268 Posts
Quote:
Great news !

As your 170w engine is probably lighter than my 220w (near 85 grammes) , i think it's logic that you will have to move forward the lipo.

How was the power ?
enough thrust ?

have a good night

Hi, I end-up using different motor that I pull-out from another model was sitting at the shop, noway I could do with 170w engine, I don't know how many w this motor got but sure got enough thrust to do some mild 3D, says 1000kv and uses 10x5 or 10x7 prop.
I did record maiden with my keychain camera mounted on my baseball cap, it wasn't focusing the plane most of the time so I didn't upload it, still can see plane take-off and landing that's all.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:27 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lincoln
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysduk View Post
What was the problem Alex?
Rhys
A couple of things, my fault though.
I didn't cut the lines to separate the airfoils when i cut the parts out on the laser cutter, so when it came to doing it, I had to do it by hand to what I thought it should have been. Must've been slightly off though, as I cut rib 3 too short and had to replace it with the one I cut for the other wing. Then once the ribs were all glued to the aileron spar, main spar, and cf tube I dry fitted it with the wing panels which fitted fine, but when I came to gluing it up, it was a tiny bit too forward so the panels didn't fit properly and the leading edge didn't stay together. My attempt to get the le together just made things worse
abroadhurst94 is offline Find More Posts by abroadhurst94
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:07 AM
Canada, AB, Champion
Joined Aug 2012
268 Posts
Funtana KFM4 wing maiden

Here is maiden of my funtana, I did some inverted and rolls after trimmed, I'm new to 3D fly so I'm practicing at the moment and till than I am going to fly as normal.

Funtana rc plane maiden (7 min 51 sec)
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:51 AM
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Jul 2010
48 Posts
Looking good Superrcflier, flies nice very direct steering as I look the video.

When I was watching the video I thought that area looks familiar, if seen that area but then with a WOT NEXT in the sky.

I also build the Funtana and to improve my flying skill I have build the WOT NEXT before i'm going to fly with the Funtana. Can you compare both planes in there flying behaviors or are this two complete different planes in the air.

Ruud
proton999 is offline Find More Posts by proton999