New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2015, 05:31 PM
Find More Posts by BWX_
Spring!!
United States, NY, Big Flats
Joined Nov 2013
1,769 Posts
I got my on-board thermal flight edited and up finally..

Radian On-Board - Thermal - April 12, 2015 (11 min 48 sec)
BWX_ is offline Find More Posts by BWX_
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2015, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by Laneritc
1st to the scene of the crash
United States, GA, Dalton
Joined Jul 2012
2,712 Posts
Nice flight, be waiting to see what those "big wings" can do!
Laneritc is offline Find More Posts by Laneritc
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2015, 01:08 PM
Find More Posts by BWX_
Spring!!
Joined Nov 2013
1,769 Posts
Yeah I can't wait to see what happens with those!
Old Yesterday, 05:58 AM
Find More Posts by Rick382
Old guy
United States, MI, Capac
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
Maiden

I maidaned my new raidian yesterday. I was very carful to get the cg where recomended. I hand tossed it and she rose to about 15 feet high and glided 50 yards, A bit farther than I expected. I picked her up added 1/4 throttle and away we go. This is my second plane so I was quite nervous but no worries she flew like A dream. One slightly hard landing 10 minured later and she was down safe. Now as long as I don't get cocky!!!
Rick382 is offline Find More Posts by Rick382
Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by wkf94025
United States, CA, Napa
Joined May 2014
167 Posts
Welcome to the club Rick.

20,000 posts on this fun bird.

Kelly
wkf94025 is offline Find More Posts by wkf94025
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by BWX_
Spring!!
Joined Nov 2013
1,769 Posts
...and then there were two.

Now all I I have to do is paint the bottom black (leaving some stripes of white), and cover the whole thing in clear, and use some clear tape on leading edge for strength, and I'll be done.

This is a lot like body work on a car or something.. masking, painting, etc. Time consuming.

Still it is not totally smooth though, I basically sanded off all those bumps that come from when they make them, but created my own "roughness" in the process that wasn't there before. Hopefully it'll cancel each other out at least.
Last edited by BWX_; Yesterday at 11:27 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM
Find More Posts by old stuff man
heli/plane/old stuff addict.
United States, MA, Winchendon
Joined Apr 2013
100 Posts
Update on 4m radian

HI everyone,
So after reading the comments on my post and doing some calculating I came to the conclusion that the Radian would cheapest, and probably the most rewarding of my projects (if it works ). So I have decided to continue on, and I have already ordered and received the carbon fiber needed for the spars. Today I was finishing sanding down the sections I needed to, and I am going to pick up some light weight Spackle I think. I am thinking of trying the Freddie B's Secret sauce, but I was wondering what the proportions are for it, all I seem to find is the ingredients when I search for it. Thanks again for the help, I will keep you updated on its status. here is a picture that I took this morning after finishing the sanding.
old stuff man is offline Find More Posts by old stuff man
Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM
Find More Posts by BWX_
Spring!!
Joined Nov 2013
1,769 Posts
4 meters! Whew! That's huge. I wonder if you'll need ailerons or just a larger rudder.. or what.

edit..

I think I am going to do bottoms kind of a hybrid of these two designs:

But I think I am going to do two white stripes, and then leave room for strips of Monokote trim strips on the outside of the white stripes, but maybe a little thicker than the red stripes on the top pic.

I love how that orange Monokote trim pops in the air, and I think I'd kick myself if I didn't use at least a little on bottom of these wings.
Last edited by BWX_; Yesterday at 11:21 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM
Find More Posts by old stuff man
heli/plane/old stuff addict.
United States, MA, Winchendon
Joined Apr 2013
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX_ View Post
4 meters! Whew! That's huge. I wonder if you'll need ailerons or just a larger rudder.. or what.

edit..

I think I am going to do bottoms kind of a hybrid of these two designs:

But I think I am going to do two white stripes, and then leave room for strips of Monokote trim strips on the outside of the white stripes, but maybe a little thicker than the red stripes on the top pic.

I love how that orange Monokote trim pops in the air, and I think I'd kick myself if I didn't use at least a little on bottom of these wings.
The orange does have a nice touch, but quite frankly could not decide which looks better from those pictures because both of those do look quite nice, and seem to provide good visibly.

I added flaprons to the wing, and have mixed it with the rudder, I think it should provide adequate control, and having flaps may help in landing.
old stuff man is offline Find More Posts by old stuff man
Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM
Find More Posts by BWX_
Spring!!
Joined Nov 2013
1,769 Posts
Oh yeah that should work well.

Not sure if I will need anything like that or not with "only" 3 meters! We'll soon find out.

I'm about to start masking and still not sure what I want to do. with underside.
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM
Find More Posts by Jovanx
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,246 Posts
The secret sauce is equal parts of spackle and baby powder, and then just add enough wbpu to get the consistency you want. The baby powder is the talcum type, not the cornstarch type. A buddy of mine is an autobody mechanic, and he tells me that talc is also an ingredient in body filler. That's what makes it sand to such a smooth surface.

I use a piece of credit card as a putty knife to spread it.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM
Find More Posts by BWX_
Spring!!
Joined Nov 2013
1,769 Posts
Wow that was a TON OF WORK to mask all that off and then paint and then un-mask. It took a lot longer than I thought it would too, but it looks good so probably worth the effort.

I need to do a bit of touch-up on the red that I had to stick masking tape to, and I knew that would probably happen. But that is no big deal. I am going over the entire wing in Minwax Polycrylic after this stuff dries really good.. maybe in a couple days. I may do some more sanding as it is kind of a rough surface really.. or I may just leave it as is.

I think I'm going to do a blog post and put more in-depth pics in but I'll stick a few here.
Last edited by BWX_; Today at 02:37 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM
Find More Posts by Gallen1119
Testing the DLG waters
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Jun 2014
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
The secret sauce is equal parts of spackle and baby powder, and then just add enough wbpu to get the consistency you want. The baby powder is the talcum type, not the cornstarch type. A buddy of mine is an autobody mechanic, and he tells me that talc is also an ingredient in body filler. That's what makes it sand to such a smooth surface.

I use a piece of credit card as a putty knife to spread it.
Here's Freddie's post on the secret sauce -- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...699023&page=12
Gallen1119 is offline Find More Posts by Gallen1119