Old Oct 18, 2014, 09:11 PM
Find More Posts by laser110
Just Limin'
United States, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined Nov 2008
1,434 Posts
Discussion
JSG Designs 85' Tug

I am happy to have the opportunity to be the first build and first reviewer of JSG's 85' Tug. JSG- is no other than our own John Gill (GillRC). John and I have known each for several years and when the opportunity to build one of his tugs came up, I took it. I will be doing a build thread here, along with a review of the materials he supplies.

Attached are some photos from what John supplies with his "kits". I say that in parathesis, because what you recieve are the parts to build a tug, but unlike a kit you get from other more well known companies, alot of the "fluff" is left out intentionally to allow the builder to customize their build as they complete it. I find this perfect for a guy like myself, who loves the idea of doing a scratch built- one off, but doesn't have the tools, or room for those tools, to cut out ribs and keel, along with some of the other basics.

As you can see the parts are well laser cut and the edges look sharp and well defined. They pop out easily and are made of a light hobby ply.

Enjoy the pics, more to come as the build progresses.

Scott
laser110 is offline Find More Posts by laser110
Last edited by laser110; Oct 19, 2014 at 12:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:37 PM
Find More Posts by Le petit normand
Douce france cher pays de
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jun 2007
322 Posts
I am going to follow this build

Le petit normand is offline Find More Posts by Le petit normand
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:16 PM
Find More Posts by the goon
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,768 Posts

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Oct 19, 2014, 08:40 AM
Find More Posts by johnnyoverkill
Fleet 4 Commanders
United States, IL, Tinley Park
Joined Jun 2012
45 Posts

John
johnnyoverkill is offline Find More Posts by johnnyoverkill
Old Oct 19, 2014, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by louie R/C NUT
no such thing as to many boats
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2010
2,315 Posts
louie R/C NUT is offline Find More Posts by louie R/C NUT
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:00 AM
Find More Posts by frankg
Joined Dec 2004
3,934 Posts
SCOTT- What is the size of the finished model and do you have any pictures of a finished model made from the kit. Also has a price been set for the kit and just what do you get in the kit. It looks as if all you are getting is the basic frame work for the hull and cabin along with the Bulwarks but no planking.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Oct 19, 2014, 08:10 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,434 Posts
Rich,

Hey. I am going to let John answer the questions on cost etc. I am building this build and the pics we take when done will be used for promo material as John see's fit and needs. Therefore, in return we worked out amongst us a cost which will likely not be the final cost offering.

Finished model will be a hair under 32", approximately the same size as the Jim Wilder Tug. I think this a good size, as it fits easily in the car, isn't too heavy to bring to the pond, and looks good on the water.

As as what's included, again John threw in some extras for me to make the build look good. He also gave me 2 motors, so I don't want to comment too much on whats included in the final version, agin he would be more qualifed to that.. I can say the basics are there, including the framing, bulwalks, cabin, and funnel, but what else do Ineed?

Planking- you win the prize for asking first. I am making the planks myself with wood again supplied by John. I'll be cutting the planks as needed. See the pics below.

Ok my first impressions... Honestly, really well cut parts. I popped the keel halves out today and glued them together. I also popped out the frames and had no trouble at all. The laser cutting is top notch. I was worried because there appears to be some sharp angles to the frames and these had no issues at all.

Scott
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:20 PM
Find More Posts by GILL RC
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,705 Posts
To answer some of the questions. I supply short kits, just the laser cut parts. The builder supplies the rest. There is always enough extra in the kits to make any changes you would like. I to love scratch building and even when building a kit I don't always agree with the manufacture as to materials. I did supply Scott with almost every thing he needs to build. 10 sheets of 1/16 x 3 x36 balsa to make the planking, the 1/8 sq bass for the strakes, the brass for the hand rails, cross bar in the bollards, and rudder shafts. He purchased the stern tubes, and couplings from me. The motors are the ones I recommend, 555's these are 5 pole motors. When a club member (SOSS) gets a kit from me they get the motor need.
I normally build the first of every kit, but I knew that Scott what'd this tug and he is a good builder. So yes I did give him a few extras so he would not have waste time to look for things.
Scott is going to supply the finished model pictures.
At this time Scott is vice Commodore and I'm Commodore of the South Orange seaport Society . I have built over 1000 models and won or placed in every major competition in the US and with over 123 boats in my personal collection. I am also an electro-mechanical engineer and have been designing airplane and boat models for over 40 years. My personal web site is www.jsgill.net

I too am looking forward to the build. By the way the 85ft tug is just under $200.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Dec 19, 2014, 04:00 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,434 Posts
Finally have some updated pictures. Haven't had much time to work on this till this week. Frames are in and looking good. Also added the spline to help reenforce and provide some stability. Note the last frame was not added. When I originally fit it, I noticed the spacing to plank would be very narrow and require the plank to form a very complex curve, hard to do without beaking it, even if soaked in Windex. John and I discussed it and I'll fill this small 1' X 2" space in with some balsa block and sand to the required shape.

The keel is actually lightly tacked to my build board. A few drops here and there hold it secure while I am able to use a level to be sure each frame is going in square. To remove, I'll use a little acetone soaked cottom balls to loosen the glue and then sand smooth the residue.

Hope to start the planking in the next day or two. I already cut about 20 and have tied up with a rubberband, you can see the bundle sitting on my table behind the frames.

Scott
Last edited by laser110; Dec 19, 2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by the goon
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,768 Posts
Nice .

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Dec 19, 2014, 05:27 PM
Find More Posts by Tim B.
Joined Aug 2009
9,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the goon View Post
Nice .

Mark
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 02:53 AM
Find More Posts by Dennis99
Sweden
Joined Aug 2012
280 Posts
A wooden hull is more interesting to see grow during the build than a fiberglass hull!

Dennis99 is offline Find More Posts by Dennis99
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2014, 08:27 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,434 Posts
First layer of planking is done. Wasn't as neat with this layer since it will be covered over with a second, as per John's request. I will however do some filling and fairing with spackling prior to the second layer, so that it goes on easy and looks good when done.

Some pics to show progress so far. Have to admit that very few things as satisfying as when you finish planking a hull.

Scott
Last edited by laser110; Dec 30, 2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:18 PM
Find More Posts by green-boat
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,664 Posts
Looks good from here.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Dec 31, 2014, 07:05 AM
Find More Posts by louie R/C NUT
no such thing as to many boats
United States, NY, New York