New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: What style of Turnigy 1/16 vehicle do you prefer?
Rally Extreme 47 38.21%
Mini Trooper 46 37.40%
Racing Buggy 30 24.39%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 11, 2015, 07:53 AM
Find More Posts by Chubbs
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
1,008 Posts
Carbon fiber parts for the buggy

I thought i'd share my project last night with everyone. A couple of days ago I got some goodies from Carbonfiberglass.com. So, I made a carbon plate:

The plate was made with 2 layers of 3k carbon fiber, 2x2 twill pattern, 1 layer of 18oz woven roving fiberglass (mostly used as a filler to get more thickness), and then 2 more layers of carbon. All of that was smashed between 2 layers of plexiglass. It turned out "ok"...there were a couple of air bubbles on the surface I wish I could get rid of, and the surface finish on one side was a little rough due to excess wax used on the plexiglass. But all in all, not bad for my first attempt.

It turned out to be about 2.2mm thick, which is pretty darn close to how thick the plastic chassis is.

Then I trimmed it:

You can probably guess where this is going.

It turned out pretty well. I was a bit surprised it didn't seem to add as much torsional stiffness as I'd hoped. It was a LOT stiffer front to back, and side to side, but when twisted, it still flexed quite a bit. It's stiffer than the plastic chassis, but not by much.

By then I had a couple beers in me, and things started getting crazy

You'll have to forgive the sloppyness. When parts are this small, drilling all those holes is really hard. 1/32 or 1/64 of an inch is usually an acceptable margin of error, but when there are so many holes in such a small area, those tolerances just aren't good enough. So, some of it looks a little sloppy. Without a CNC machine, it's the best I could do. It works.

This stuff is like rich-man's chrome. Once you have access to it, you find that just about anything is better in carbon. Next project is a chassis for my severely overweight 4x4 trooper.
Chubbs is offline Find More Posts by Chubbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:11 PM
Find More Posts by Hammer Head
the journey is the reward
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,683 Posts
Very cool Chubbs!
Hammer Head is offline Find More Posts by Hammer Head
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:56 AM
Find More Posts by Rockracer
Australia, QLD, Whyanbeel
Joined Jan 2015
113 Posts
Nice job.
Rockracer is offline Find More Posts by Rockracer
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:05 PM
Find More Posts by finguz
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,557 Posts
Looks great chubbs!

Which wheels are those?
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:57 PM
Find More Posts by Hammer Head
the journey is the reward
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,683 Posts
I order servo savers etc...shows in stock...order received with multiple parts not included and the needed servo saver.

This parts issue is getting ridiculous...HK is not going to get much more business from me.

Hammer Head is offline Find More Posts by Hammer Head
Old Apr 12, 2015, 05:54 PM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
Joined Jun 2012
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
Looks great chubbs!

Which wheels are those?
Wheels are stock, withstandard 1/10 scale proline X2 compound scrubs that have been cut down to fit.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 06:21 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
Wheels are stock, withstandard 1/10 scale proline X2 compound scrubs that have been cut down to fit.
They look good! Good use of the stock wheels. Just wondering, what do you use for glue (considering the somewhat high speed application)? I've only trimmed and glued tires for low speed applications.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 08:11 PM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
Joined Jun 2012
1,008 Posts
I used this stuff

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Glue_1_oz.html

The idea came from this how-to
http://www.prolineracing.com/blog/20...si-mini-8ight/

At first I thought it was a pretty janky solution, but I didn't know what else to do for decent tires. I thought proline was a credible source, so I gave it a shot.

So far, they are holding up great. I probably only have 3 batteries through the car now (to be fair, a 2200mah lipo lasts about half an hour though), and the tires show no signs of failing at the glue joints. If you take your time and you're careful, the joints don't even look half bad.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
I used this stuff
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Glue_1_oz.html

The idea came from this how-to
http://www.prolineracing.com/blog/20...si-mini-8ight/

At first I thought it was a pretty janky solution, but I didn't know what else to do for decent tires. I thought proline was a credible source, so I gave it a shot.

So far, they are holding up great. I probably only have 3 batteries through the car now (to be fair, a 2200mah lipo lasts about half an hour though), and the tires show no signs of failing at the glue joints. If you take your time and you're careful, the joints don't even look half bad.
If the mini8 caught their eye so specifically, why didn't they make a tire for it ?!

That's cool that it has worked out for you, sounds like something definitely worth trying.

Another glue that might work even better is IC-2000 CA. I bought some for gluing tires to a set of metal rims I have (that aren't beadlocks). It's supposed to work great, it's really flexible, and it's black rubber color. I haven't tried it out yet.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 03:08 PM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
Joined Jun 2012
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
If the mini8 caught their eye so specifically, why didn't they make a tire for it ?!
Good question. It would have made my life a whole lot easier.

They make the whole process look easy in that tutorial, but believe me, those are not the first attempts they made. The very first one I tried was on an old scrap tire, and I'm glad it wasn't the real deal. I generally consider myself pretty darn good at this type of stuff, but that first tire was a mess.

Each tire I did got better, and by the time I was on the final buggy tire, they looked almost as good as they do in the tutorial. Still not perfect though. If you're going to attempt such a thing, practice on an old tire first.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 05:28 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,557 Posts
Good to know Chubbs, I have done a couple trim jobs on tires but neither of them had much power behind them... in fact they were just kids toys for my nephew. Even then I can't say that the rubber held together great, but at the same time it has never come completely apart. That and I probably didn't do a great job of cutting, like you are saying, and also the rubber was a lot harder, so basically a different situation all together. But all in the same, it gave me a taste of what tire trimming was like, a pain the the butt.

And not like it's an easy thing to do, forcing yourself to cut into a brand new set of perfectly good tires.

It looks great though, especially on the buggy!