HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2014, 04:56 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
249 Posts
Build Log
Vosper 1/16th scale crash tender

I've chosen this model as my next project because it will be fun to run and because there will be the challenge of making working fire monitors. The Lesro kit comes with laser cut parts and sheeting for the hull, with the running gear and accessories supplied as extras to match the model. I always pefer to work with wooden boats so that was another plus point for me.

The supplied monitors are non-working castings so will have to be ditched. As the Graupner alternatives are no longer available and would anyway not be to scale, I will try to fabricate these from scratch. I would like, if possible to make them rotate, probably using servos rather than geared motors.

This will be my seventh model for which I have published a build log (4 boats, 1 hovercraft and, most recently a Hawker Hunter edf plane) and I would hope, as with these to receive help and advice along the way. All contributions gratefully received .

Anyway to kick things off, below are a photo of a finished model as I hope mine will look like and some of the basic hull construction. The next steps are to sheet the lower half and then to install the main working parts prior to sheeting the sides.
JeremyBB is offline Find More Posts by JeremyBB
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2014, 05:11 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,462 Posts
Great start .

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Sep 09, 2014, 06:59 PM
Joined Jun 2012
280 Posts
You may be able to buy just the rotating fire monitor unit that goes on the Aquacraft Rescue 17. Might be a good fit for this boat? Check Tower.
Dauntlessfan is offline Find More Posts by Dauntlessfan
Old Sep 09, 2014, 08:27 PM
no such thing as to many boats
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2010
2,033 Posts
Nice start I will follow along .
louie R/C NUT is offline Find More Posts by louie R/C NUT
Old Sep 09, 2014, 09:18 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,207 Posts
Me too !

Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:35 PM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
306 Posts
Jeremy
I look forward to your usual excellent standard, like others I will look on.

George.
ooyah is offline Find More Posts by ooyah
Old Sep 12, 2014, 02:28 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
249 Posts
Bottom skins now on. The running gear and other hardware has to be fitted before adding the side skins.

I will try to skin the prow section with triangular pieces running the full height of the hull. If this doesn't work, I will try high density (blue) polystyrene, carved and sanded to shape and strengthened with resin coated fibreglass cloth.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Aquacraft fire monitors . They will be underscale but can probably be modified. The turntable servos will be very useful. Prices in the USA for modelling gear are much lower than here in the UK and the postage costs are very reasonable.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 02:41 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyBB View Post
Prices in the USA for modelling gear are much lower than here in the UK and the postage costs are very reasonable.
Take advantage of That !
Old Sep 19, 2014, 07:27 AM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
249 Posts
Main hardware components now in place. The motor is a Turnigy D3536 1250 Kv, 7.5-15V.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_motor.html

The speed controller is 45 amp max, forward/reverse with 5v-15v input.

The water pump for the fire monitors is a CEM, 6v-12v which is an unbadged version of the Graupner pump. It should deliver 1.2 litres of water per minute at 12v. It will be controlled by a simple on/off switch which will also be linked to an LED searchlight and navigation lights.

My thinking on batteries is to use a 5000 mAh NiMh pack splitting the output between the drive motor and the pump (which should anyway only be used in short bursts).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-5000mA...item540d4dc05a

Does this sound an OK combination? Any advice would be welcomed.
Old Oct 03, 2014, 11:17 AM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
249 Posts
Hull now fully skinned. Will eventually be sealed with Z-Poxy resin and fibreglass cloth which should mask some of the imperfections. Have decided to go with a 12v 5000 mAh NiMh battery to power both the boat drive and the fire monitor pump and servos. So far so good .
Old Oct 03, 2014, 11:31 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,207 Posts
Great progress !
Old Oct 24, 2014, 05:41 AM
It can't rain all the time
United Kingdom, Peacehaven
Joined Mar 2009
432 Posts
The battery / motor combination should be good .

Nice looking build

Our Aerokit / KK boat ( circa 1985 ) is running a 3530 ( 1200kv ) motor and 4 ah batteries ( 3s2p) gives a good running time and plenty of power despite this old lady being 30 years old and weighing in at 7 lb with a pound of lead to balance her .

It is now in the middle of a refit for next year .

regards
twinkle is offline Find More Posts by twinkle
Old Oct 24, 2014, 07:47 AM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,462 Posts
Lookin' great .

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Nov 02, 2014, 07:20 AM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
249 Posts
Slow progress - too many things get in the way

Front cabin completed and windows glazed. No option to glaze later as there would be no access to allow this. How then to prevent the windows getting covered when spraypainting? Answer (probably not new !) - temporarily insert the blanks removed to form the windows .
Old Nov 12, 2014, 07:31 AM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
249 Posts
Decks now skinned. Next step is to install the servos to operate the rotating fire monitors. After that, the cabin roofs.

I am undecided about how to glaze the cabin windows. As the cabin sides are thick, the windows would look recessed if glazed from behind. An alternative would be to put glazing directly behind the window frames and rely on painting to hide the edges of the acrylic sheet. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.