HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:52 PM
Florida,USA
Joined Feb 2011
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore View Post
It was totally clouded over today, didn't get above 34 degrees, but there was NO WIND!

I checked out the park pond, and there was thin ice over all the pond EXCEPT the cove and beach area where I fly the Tidewater. I spent a happy hour with no stinking wind, flying low, slow and close-in. It was great! The best outing yet for the Tidewater and me. But I doubt there will any more chances to fly off "soft" water after this for a looong time.

However, one time in flight and once during takeoff, just off the water I heard a loud vibrating noise. Later, I looked over the plane, the motor mount was solid, but I did notice that the front of the wing has some movement (where the plastic pins fit into the plastic holes). I did have the front of the wing pull out of the seat once during a bad takeoff/splashdown. Also, the wing saddle and wing bottom never closed without a gap. Has anyone had/fixed this problem?

Thanks!

I drilled out the two plastic pins in the wing and the plastic part on the fuselage and epoxied in some wooden dowels and let them stick out another 1/4 inch or thereabouts so the dowels will fit further into the two holes in the fuselage. Now the wing can not slip out from the leading edge. Hope this helps. If not, I can post a photo.
d_toolman is offline Find More Posts by d_toolman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:02 AM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
1,380 Posts
RexGalore:
If the wing is tight front & back & the gap is more in the middle as mine was, then you can do like i did & use some white silicone sealer (from a squeeze tube), to fill the gap.
Clive66 is offline Find More Posts by Clive66
Old Dec 17, 2014, 09:57 AM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Jan 2011
387 Posts
It took a while for me to find where I was getting water into the battery/radio compartment. I must have over looked the wing/fuselage seal...but it wasn't good. I found some one sided foam tape approx 1/8"thick x 1/4" wide that was water proof. Once the wing was in place, I ran the tape along the bottom of the wing next to the fuselage. I doesn't seal the gap...but it covers it up, if that make since.
HuskyDude is offline Find More Posts by HuskyDude
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:52 PM
Prop-Snapping Excitement!
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2014
102 Posts
Yes, yes & yes - those are my problems!

There is a looseness in the front of the wing that may or may not have been there before the "pop-out" (there's a video on YouTube I can't find again that has a Tidewater pop the front of the wing out like mine did), so I think d_toolman's surgery is probably for me.

With all the wiring involved, I almost never take the wing off, so I'll get some sealer for the saddle (although the foam strips would also keep the water out and be more reusable).

I can't think of another cause for the loud "BRAAAP" it made those two times, other than the looseness of the front wing hold down.

Thanks guys!
RexGalore is offline Find More Posts by RexGalore
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:57 PM
United States, IN, St John
Joined Mar 2010
16 Posts
What do u mean set the throtle range? Would u pl. explain.
My plane stutters during flight, found out that it goes away if I pull back on throtle. I have the stock plane, motor, esc (30amp) and prop.
rafeeki is offline Find More Posts by rafeeki
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:07 PM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafeeki View Post
What do u mean set the throtle range? Would u pl. explain.
My plane stutters during flight, found out that it goes away if I pull back on throtle. I have the stock plane, motor, esc (30amp) and prop.
You should always set throttle range on a new plane (should be covered in the manual)
Throttle range should also be set when changing the ESC or RX.
I would replace the ESC with a 40 amp.
I had the stock ESC go bad on mine & caused a crash.
The stuttering is what mine was doing shortly before the ESC failed.
Also, the stock ESC gets too hot, so it's a good idea to change it anyway.

Note: i just checked the Tidewater manual (nothing about setting throttle range)
A new ESC almost always comes with the instructions.
Clive66 is offline Find More Posts by Clive66
Last edited by Clive66; Dec 19, 2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:30 AM
Prop-Snapping Excitement!
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2014
102 Posts
Here is a video on setting the throttle range:
ESC Throttle Range Calibration HW25A (1 min 7 sec)

I had inflight throttle speed glitches with the stock (hot 'n crappy) ESC, also. Changing to a 45A ESC with switched BEC that Dr. Clive recommended cured it - ESC is never more than slightly warm, and no more glitches.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Sky-Powe...-BEC-H-105.htm
RexGalore is offline Find More Posts by RexGalore
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:13 PM
United States, IN, St John
Joined Mar 2010
16 Posts
ESC calibration

Easy enough, thanks I will try that

Rafeek
rafeeki is offline Find More Posts by rafeeki