HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:34 PM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
Help!
Beginner Help on quadcopter build

Hey, my friend and I both chipped on parts that (we thought) we researched, and now are having problems with the build, I was wondering if you could help?

We have This Board, These Motors, and These ESC's, but I'm finding it v. difficult to find any documentation on how to proceed.
We mounted the motors, soldered the ESC's to the motors, and hooked our battery to the Red and Black wires in the ESC's. We then connected the 3pin jumper on the esc to the motor points on the board. Connect the battery, and we get 3 ascending beeps, followed by a series of individual beeps that I can't determine a pattern for. We have a Programming card, and have connected it to each of the motors individually, and hit load default, but really, I have no idea what I did.
Could someone possibly help us out, and describe what we need to do, or at least point us towards the required reading for this? I'm a software developer, and completely new to this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
ebbd34e0e850d26f is offline Find More Posts by ebbd34e0e850d26f
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:48 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,428 Posts
Well, you have some missing parts (or info). You need a radio RX and TX to connect tot hat board too, you also need to make sure you have connected the motors correctly so two rotate clockwise and two rotate counter clockwise. The manual for the FC will tell you what order this should be in. It's on the files tab on the HK website. You'll probably also need to update the firmware on the board which would require an ASP programmer

You do NOT want to use the defaults for the ESC programming card. Do a search or ESC setup for quad. You need to disable low voltage cutout at the very least, you will also need some sort of voltage monitor to make sure you don't run your batteries flat and kill them.

You don't mention frame or prop sizes but assuming you've got it connected electrically correctly you then need to calibrate your ESC's so they all start at the same time, and then it should get off the ground, then you'll need to do some tuning of the FC board
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:26 PM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
I have missing info, sorry (was trying to keep the original post short, but obviously didn't work.) Transmitter/Receiver is This

I'm pretty sure that they're wired to rotate 2xcw, and 2xccw, but I haven't been able to verify this yet. (two motors have +/- connected to the esc's in the opposite direction). I haven't updated anything on the board, and don't have any equipment to do so, so I'll look into that.

I've found This video for ESC configuration for a quad, I'll try disabling low voltage cutoff with the card.

Once I've done that, I guess I'm into the realms of programming my radio, which again, I thought we had done. Is there any way I can verify that any parts of my system are working individually? I have access to pretty much any hardware that I need to check it out.

I'll look into a voltage monitor once I've managed to get the thing to respond to my controller, but for now, I'm not too worried about running out my batteries (as the highest off the ground it;s been has been our kitchen table when we were soldering.)
We haven't even put the props on our motors, but we have 8045's, and a 450mm wide carbon fibre frame.

Thanks for taking the time out to help, I'll take a look at what you said tomorrow evening (it's 1:30 here and I have work in the morning)
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:15 PM
.... flyin' dirty ....
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Dec 2012
897 Posts
Also, its great that youve got how to link in your posts but it would make it a lot easier (and you would probably get more responses) if you lust listed it in your post.

Most of us are pretty familiar with the different parts without going to each link to see what you got.

Just my two cents.
DirtyThirty is offline Find More Posts by DirtyThirty
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:05 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,428 Posts
Between ESC's and Motors there is no + or -, so I'm not sure how you've reversed them, hopefully you haven't reversed them between the ESC and the battery or that will end with 2 dead ESC's. If you mean you've just swapped two of the 3 wires between motor and ESC then that's fine (and the right thing to do)

This is a decent pic to show you the programming settings.

You shouldn't have to do too much with your radio. Make sure it's in acro or plane mode, not heli. After that it's just make sure your channels are responding correctly (sometimes they need reversing).

Running out your batteries will kill them, LiPo batteries will not re-charge if you completely flatten them. Damage will also kill them, but even if you don't get off the ground, if you flatten your LiPo's your charger won't recharge them.

I would say your props are probably too small for the speed of your motors (usually you'd have 1200kv motors for props that size, but it will probably still fly, if only just, at least that's what ecalc says. it's saying with 750kv and 8x4.5's with an all up weight of 1000grams you'll need 97% throttle to hover and at 800g you'll still need 97%. Ecalc will give you some ballpark data to play with in regards to motor and props

Even dropping 10x4.5 props on it you'll still need 60% throttle to hover. That's not too bad but you want to aim for 50% ideally. 11 inch props would get you there but I doubt you have room for them on a 450mm frame. That'd get you in the air though. Honestly I'd look more at something in the 1100 to 1200kv range with 9x4.5 props

I assume you're talking about a 3s battery?
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:17 AM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
Sorry for linking, was trying to be as helpful as possible!

yeah, swapped the two wires from the motors to the ESC's, I'll try that configuration when I get home today, and see if I get anything.

I suspect that my radio may have been in heli then, I'll find out again tonight when I get home.

Ah, ok, I thought you meant just running them down to 98% or so, and not getting the proper voltage output from them. If it comes to it, I have a big power source that I can jump the battery with, but I shouldn't need it. 3cell lion battery.
I had a sneaking suspicion they wouldn't be powerful enough to be honest, but I guess we'll see.

Thanks for the response!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:49 AM
.... flyin' dirty ....
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Dec 2012
897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbd34e0e850d26f View Post
Sorry for linking, was trying to be as helpful as possible!
It is helpful, don't get me wrong. Sorry you took it that way, I just meant that you could just state what you had with links also.
DirtyThirty is offline Find More Posts by DirtyThirty
Last edited by DirtyThirty; Jan 22, 2013 at 09:55 AM.