SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 24, 2014, 07:14 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBob View Post
So, is there a way to make a CP head, say on a blade 400 fixed, or is there a FP head that you modders prefer to use? How do you make the swash fixed, instead of elevating to change pitch? Just changing curves in the Tx?

I have a blade SR I would like to try this with!
Yes, you can program in a flat pitch curve to fix the swash, but you'll gain absolutely nothing over CP. In fact, since you then have no negative pitch it's harder to bring your heli down in a wind and you'll have no more tendency for the heli to self level than if you left it as a CP. You'll also lose some stability due to the lessened head speed as compared to running a flat throttle curve.

To get the self leveling effect you need a 45 degree flybarred head in conjunction with different blades. Either that or the much more expensive route with a specialized gyro and fbl head.

If you go to Steve's blog (post #10) on this thread you can contact him for more info on a good fp head for your heli. He's done a lot of work in that area and has been very successful at it.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:08 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,761 Posts
I have no idea why someone wants to make a c/p into f/p. bird can be flown in normal mode much like a f/p. Or IU stunt mode. You are not bound to do 3 D. IU gives you good contol in wind. Or in normal mode the more power the more lift.
Anyway this has been covered before. Your bird have fun.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:32 PM
United States, OH, Springboro
Joined Oct 2014
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
I have no idea why someone wants to make a c/p into f/p. bird can be flown in normal mode much like a f/p. Or IU stunt mode. You are not bound to do 3 D. IU gives you good contol in wind. Or in normal mode the more power the more lift.
Anyway this has been covered before. Your bird have fun.
Yup! And why not?
TinkerBob is offline Find More Posts by TinkerBob
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:01 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,761 Posts
I was going through my stuff and might try a kit 250. I can go fly-bared or FBL.
Honey Bee King 2 seems to need a new belt plus have an extra motor for it. Might save bl motor esc for a kit. Sure any kit would smoke the Blade SR.
Have a few upgrades to do on my good flyers for now. Flew a kit built T-Rex 450 fly-bared and pretty nice bird. Build a 250 just for fun.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:11 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
I have no idea why someone wants to make a c/p into f/p.
It's not making a CP into a FP...

It's using top shelf components to build a top shelf FP.

(Instead of flying a cheap, heavy, metal frame FP with a brushed tail motor. )

BTW, you still fly those cheap heavy FP's, don't you?
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HK450GT Lights
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:48 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,761 Posts
I fly Quads/ 4ch F/P/ FBL F/P/ micro C/p's up to 400 size/ Mini c/p's 450's. all are what they were from the start, but hey what ever ? No peeing contest you want to use c/p parts to make a F/P fine. Best luck and enjoy !! I myself would not convert a Blade 450D into a f/P but hey thats me. F/P blades act like a sail on sailboat. big gust of wind comes up bye/ bye birdie. The way I see it a 450's c/p can be flown in normal mode/ stunt one IU/ Stunt 2 etc.
I fly sport/ some scale/ soon do some inverted/ rolls/ looks and other 3 d type flying. I keep my suff 100% sometimes more. I like them all. I have no agenda except to fly/ fly/ and then fly some more. So yes i fly some heavy f/p's but none came from a c/p. 85% of my flying are mix of c/p's. Nano CP-X bl to several 450's/ soon adding a large blade 500 D... anyway best luck hope projects come out just dandy.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 05:12 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,948 Posts
Quote:
So, is there a way to make a CP head, say on a blade 400 fixed, or is there a FP head that you modders prefer to use? How do you make the swash fixed, instead of elevating to change pitch? Just changing curves in the Tx?

I have a blade SR I would like to try this with!
As PaFlyer stated, this does absolutely no good without a self-leveling 45 degree FP head.
A CP with a stock head and flat pitch curve would be extremely difficult to fly and would
not offer any self-leveling.

That stated, yes, you use a flat pitch curve on the FP conversions.

Just set the % to whatever it takes to get the swash in the proper position
so that there is no binding in the linkage.

Generally you want the swash to end up near mid-stroke of the the CP collective curve
so that the servo arms are level.

Sometimes this involves fabricating custom lower links, depending on
the final mounting position of your head.

I usually have to make a new mounting hole in the main shaft in order to
mount the FP head high enough for the balance bar to clear the canopy
and tail boom.

A 1/8" carbide burr and Dremel rotary too work great for getting the hole
started. Most shafts are hardened steel, and nearly impossible to drill.

Most FP heads also require a mounting shim on the main shaft, which I make
from brass or aluminum tubing.

Here are some examples.

Note the lack of linkage guides on the 300 and 450 heads. These have been replaced by
the swash locker assemblies just above the swashplate.

This is optional, but allows you to make adjustments that you otherwise could not,
and also eliminates the friction of the linkage sliding in the guides when you apply cyclic.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Oct 29, 2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 07:12 PM
United States, OH, Springboro
Joined Oct 2014
32 Posts
Absolutely awesome work!

I love flying my 120SR- I've kicked around the idea for a few years now of getting a larger FP- but as stated earlier in the thread, larger FP machines tend to be ill-made and toy-like.

Very innovative way of getting the 450 to FP. Looks like a fun build- I like to take manufactured items and redesign them to be novel. It's different, and probably fun to fly!
FP's might not cut through the wind like a CP, but, you can fly in stiff or gusty winds with the right approach. I fly my 120SR in the wind by 'tacking' - similar to sailing. It's fun and with a little thought and finnesse, you can overcome the wind, AND you don't have to worry about trashing $50 in parts if you set the bird down poorly.

I'm seriously considering modifying one of my SR heli's to FP. Your walk through on the 450 is very inspiring and well-thought! Thanks!
TinkerBob is offline Find More Posts by TinkerBob
Old Oct 29, 2014, 08:10 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,948 Posts
Quote:
Absolutely awesome work!

I love flying my 120SR- I've kicked around the idea for a few years now of getting a larger FP- but as stated earlier in the thread, larger FP machines tend to be ill-made and toy-like.

Very innovative way of getting the 450 to FP. Looks like a fun build- I like to take manufactured items and redesign them to be novel. It's different, and probably fun to fly!
FP's might not cut through the wind like a CP, but, you can fly in stiff or gusty winds with the right approach. I fly my 120SR in the wind by 'tacking' - similar to sailing. It's fun and with a little thought and finnesse, you can overcome the wind, AND you don't have to worry about trashing $50 in parts if you set the bird down poorly.

I'm seriously considering modifying one of my SR heli's to FP. Your walk through on the 450 is very inspiring and well-thought! Thanks!
Thanks for the compliments.

The 450 size FP's using the 45 degree V913 and F-45 heads generally have weak cyclic
response because the design loses effectiveness as it is scaled up.

250 and 300 sized fixed pitch birds using this head design generally have much better
cyclic response than the 450 size projects.

My 250 FP conversion has so much cyclic you can almost flip it over from a hover.
I am certain that with enough altitude it would do a loop, but never had the guts
to try it.

The larger 450 blades also don't like wind. The day we lost the Blade 450 FP the winds were
around 10 Mph when below the tree line, and it had absolutely no problem with it.

Then my son decided to do some high speed passes, and since this thing hits ridiculous
top speeds, you have to get well above the tree line or you will run out of room in seconds.

Unfortunately, they also get extremely far away in seconds, and it was so tiny we could
not tell which direction it was facing, making it impossible to battle the wind, which was
at least double once you were clear of all the trees. I'm guessing that there were at least
20 to 25 Mph gusts up there.

You actually can fly these in 20 Mph winds if you fly wide open throttle, weight the nose,
and keep your forward momentum high. Although, I don't like pushing them that hard,
and it's not really any replication of scale flight.

Anyhow, as long as you fly on relatively calm days it will never be an issue.

Here is more information if you are still interested.

Blade 450 fixed pitch conversion using V913 head:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2085801

HK250GT (Trex 250 clone) fixed pitch conversion using E-1003 head:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2020751
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Oct 29, 2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,511 Posts
Steve,

Did you by chance see the aluminum V913 rotor head and blade grip that Hobby Direct is carrying now? Would sure look purty on your conversion!
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Yesterday, 06:32 AM
QPower 18650
Sunshine Coast
Joined Jun 2006
1,497 Posts
Pretty excited, managed to find and promptly purchase 3 sets of Xtreme 8 FP Wooden Blades. Now if I can work out how to program the TX Frankenheil will be alive!
madhun1 is offline Find More Posts by madhun1