HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:58 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
So if you are needing to dump lift because it glides too long, why not reverse the flaps? Flip them up rather than down... More drag, less lift...

You could set this on a spring switch (like the TH9x Trainer SW) and then have normal flaps that can be engaged as usual.

Many airliners have the flaps and then can open between the wing and flap to reduce lift. A little extreme for our planes but simply raising the flaps rather than lowering them would in theory increase drag and decrease lift...

Chris
I was thinking along the same lines, hence my earlier question whether to raise or lower flaps. I noticed last weekend on a flight that those flaps you refer to, they also seem to work with/aid the ailerons when approaching touchdown, which I found interesting.
Having the flaps flip up on another switch is a great idea, I may have an experimental play
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:02 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
I may have an experimental play
experiment with altitude... we dont want more images of SSS's in distress

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:38 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,953 Posts
Quote:
experiment with altitude... we dont want more images of SSS's in distress

Chris
Always :-D
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:28 PM
rwj
Joined Dec 2011
330 Posts
SSS battery

Quote:
So if you are needing to dump lift because it glides too long, why not reverse the flaps? Flip them up rather than down... More drag, less lift...

You could set this on a spring switch (like the TH9x Trainer SW) and then have normal flaps that can be engaged as usual.

Many airliners have the flaps and then can open between the wing and flap to reduce lift. A little extreme for our planes but simply raising the flaps rather than lowering them would in theory increase drag and decrease lift...

Chris
I just got the SSS delivered today. I purchased the arf version. Can I use my 5000mah 4cell 20-30c battery with the stock esc or should I install my Turnigy trust 70 amp sbec instead?
rwj is offline Find More Posts by rwj
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:54 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Really, I see more discussion on here of people trying to get down then people doing something while UP in the air hehe. I really can't wait to get all my FPV gear finished in my SSS so I can go for so me endurance, altitude, and range records .

I am working on a digital encoding method to transfer 5 bits of data per channel, for those that aren't so 'bit' savy 5 bits equates to knowing exactly what position 4 2 way switches and 1 single 3 way switch is, that way I can do something like different flight modes via the switches, and have it interperated on the aircraft and deliver the proper PWM to different channels, this is mainly for things like autopilot modes, light settings, OSD switching, bay door open/close, flaps, etc, I can't WAIT to have it up and running .
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwj View Post
I just got the SSS delivered today. I purchased the arf version. Can I use my 5000mah 4cell 20-30c battery with the stock esc or should I install my Turnigy trust 70 amp sbec instead?
Stock ESC is not rated for 4S at all, so most certainly use a different ESC.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:04 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Really, I see more discussion on here of people trying to get down then people doing something while UP in the air hehe. I really can't wait to get all my FPV gear finished in my SSS so I can go for so me endurance, altitude, and range records .

I am working on a digital encoding method to transfer 5 bits of data per channel, for those that aren't so 'bit' savy 5 bits equates to knowing exactly what position 4 2 way switches and 1 single 3 way switch is, that way I can do something like different flight modes via the switches, and have it interperated on the aircraft and deliver the proper PWM to different channels, this is mainly for things like autopilot modes, light settings, OSD switching, bay door open/close, flaps, etc, I can't WAIT to have it up and running .
if you accomplish this you will be the god of FPV! then of course you'll have to tell us how you did it =)

On a side note, i hear what you're saying, i just ordered a dragon link + a TH9x that will be able to handle 12 channels via ppm AND the SSS AND extra antennas, receivers, txs for video via diversity.

My family won't see me for x-mas because i'll be too busy tinkering, but i'm sure they will feel warm and fuzzy inside when they know that i'll be able to fly 10km confidently and drop small bombs on animals in the forest somewhere... =)
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
if you accomplish this you will be the god of FPV! then of course you'll have to tell us how you did it =)

On a side note, i hear what you're saying, i just ordered a dragon link + a TH9x that will be able to handle 12 channels via ppm AND the SSS AND extra antennas, receivers, txs for video via diversity.

My family won't see me for x-mas because i'll be too busy tinkering, but i'm sure they will feel warm and fuzzy inside when they know that i'll be able to fly 10km confidently and drop small bombs on animals in the forest somewhere... =)
Not the God of FPV rofl, just basic electronics . My radio is the Devo 8 running Deviation firmware, it has a rather complex mixer system that allows me to mix all of my toggle switches to a single channel in a bit style scheme, I.E. every value added is a half of another, that way no matter what combination is added together the value is unique for that combination. An AVR chip (the ATMEGA644P) which is arduino compatible (Specifically it is the same chip used on the Sanguino) sit's on the plane connected to the RX PWM outputs, it monitors the 'data' channel and does the math on the values of the switches and does whatever needs to be done. For proper output a TLC5940 chip is used which is a 16 channel PWM driver with 12 bits of resolution (4096 steps total) So technically my device is capable of reading 8 channels of input and outputting 16 full proportional channels. Though I am also going to hook it up to my FY31AP as well as a 433MHz radio module so that it is a full RX with full bidirectional digital telemetry and control.

The switch positions on the radio interface will have certain functions and grouped by the flight mode switch, if flight mode switch is in pos 0 then I am in Primary Flight Controls, if it is 1 then I am in Autopilot Flight Control, and if it is 2 I am in Lighting and Programming Mode. For safety and security when modes are switched current switch positions do not take effect until positioned in their expected states, this will prevent switching fmode to 1 and getting all those other switches to activate things not quite wanted.

also once I am using the 433MHz mode I will not need the PWM inputs but could be useful for say secondary RX connection for redundancy and or second operator such as camera operations or such, technically I could have my single radio setup to work either via 433MHz link or easily switch to 2.4GHz link and have failsafe redundant connections however it is silly considering the range difference between the two .
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:54 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:

"Small"???
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
well... I decided to build up the whole beast without paint... going to maiden it today! apparently with two 2650 4s batteries (fitting perfectly in the front of the nose) Its CG sits at 94mm back from the LE

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:35 AM
Subsurface flying expert
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2012
189 Posts
I got mine last night but I will be holding off until I get the replacement motor, ESC, and the livery figured out. Whether that resolve will last through the weekend will be seen.
FlyingGolem is offline Find More Posts by FlyingGolem
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
I am using the stock motor, and only changed the ESC to support 4S went with the Turnigy trust series because they have SBEC's built in Ill be adding a second Sbec once I get all the FPV gear on board.

Future power setup:
3A built in SBEC - Power RX, flaps and KK2.0
5A Seperate SBEC - Power all other sevos (ELE/AIL1/AIL2/RUD)

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
well here it is! Actual maiden... no test flights or anything... this plane is way too hard to fly, lol...

SSS maiden (my first manufactured plane!) (4 min 56 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:54 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,958 Posts
Quote:
well here it is! Actual maiden... no test flights or anything... this plane is way too hard to fly, lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl6O7NLgxTY
very nice! i'm looking forward to seeing mine come next week.

Do you have an idea of what your flight time is going to be with this setup?
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
Quote:
very nice! i'm looking forward to seeing mine come next week.

Do you have an idea of what your flight time is going to be with this setup?
my initial calculations was 90 min after a 5 min climb at full power.

Now i have to change that because it climbs nice at half throttle and cruises at 1/4 throttle...

Ill calculate more once I find how much its actually using...

Chris
RCG Plus Member