HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:14 AM
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Oct 2004
364 Posts
Upgrading the gear later would be easy. The stock fixed gear are the eflite retracts without the jackscrew and electronics. As to the second bec I had to use the outboard bec. I have a v1 eflite 80 amp esc which has a bad bec in it. The cc bec is rated at 10 amps v 5 on the on board bec. The voltage is also adjustable. Finally if the esc burns up there is a chance that the external bec will give me control power. It only costs $20 and it is some peace of mind.
lrb75 is offline Find More Posts by lrb75
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:37 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,927 Posts
A note on the v1 Eflite Pro 80. On my six flight the throttle "snuffed out" like a thermal lockout. But I have checked the ESC, and it does not run hotter than 150-170 deg F. So I sent back and got a v2. Since then I have had no issues.

So they say the v1 was just a BEC issue, but I am not so sure. I would not recommend using a v1 Eflite Pro ESC, and the replacement is free if you ship it to Horizon.

PS I am not using the BEC on the ESC, so that is not what caused the throttle cut out.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Dec 28, 2011, 04:44 PM
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Oct 2004
364 Posts
Tony it is a free replacement if you have a receipt. I bought the Habu as a package from someone off of RCU. No receipts. My throttle never waivered just the servos. See you at the BOX tonight? Ross
lrb75 is offline Find More Posts by lrb75
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:54 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,199 Posts
Here is video from today of A4SpeedJunkie's Habu. Enjoy.

Jason

A4SpeedJunkie's Habu 32 Post Re-paint (3 min 52 sec)
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:01 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,800 Posts
Man that thing looks awesome. Thanks for sharing the vid!
tulz43 is offline Find More Posts by tulz43
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:55 AM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Hi all Habu 32 people. I am considering getting this jet, using the flaps and eflite retracts. I have a Futaba 7cap radio with a 7ch fasst receiver. I would basically have to Y everything together except for the rudder/steering (I could use the 7th ch).

Would I run into any issues using a Y harness on basically all the control surfaces, flaps, and retracts? May seem like a silly question to some, but I've alway simply used 4ch's for all my previous planes...

Thanks
setxws6 is offline Find More Posts by setxws6
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:58 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,615 Posts
No problem. Download the manual
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:23 AM
Formerly "Heli Copter"
United States, CA, Watsonville
Joined Apr 2009
443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by setxws6 View Post
Hi all Habu 32 people. I am considering getting this jet, using the flaps and eflite retracts. I have a Futaba 7cap radio with a 7ch fasst receiver. I would basically have to Y everything together except for the rudder/steering (I could use the 7th ch).

Would I run into any issues using a Y harness on basically all the control surfaces, flaps, and retracts? May seem like a silly question to some, but I've alway simply used 4ch's for all my previous planes...

Thanks
No Problem! I would split the ailerons so you can program in a little crow with full flaps. It makes a big difference on landing speed.
Jetsom is offline Find More Posts by Jetsom
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:39 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,975 Posts
If you build the 32 absolutely standard, your TX and RX will be fine. It will even land ok in the stock lightweight configuration. Add any weight though for a faster set up and you will need to consider the crow settings. It is cleverly designed to not need reversed servos or high level programming as a stock build.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:54 AM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
That's probably how I'd build it, stock fan and motor with eflite retracts. Looks like stock it'll still do 120+, which is plenty for where I fly at.
setxws6 is offline Find More Posts by setxws6
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:48 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Copter View Post
No Problem! I would split the ailerons so you can program in a little crow with full flaps. It makes a big difference on landing speed.
No way. Split rudder and steering servo. It's a much easier setup. Crow is nice but def not needed.
tulz43 is offline Find More Posts by tulz43
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:53 AM
True North Strong and Free
Canada, BC, Greater Vancouver Regional District
Joined Dec 2011
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by setxws6 View Post

Thanks
I think that with the very affordable price of this jet, there are going to be quite a few of us (myself included), who have never had such a fast, high quality, and high performance jet. There are bound to be a LOT of questions that most of these guys would normally take for granted. They may be shaking their heads with how basic some of our questions are. I hope they remain patient with us!

Not that our skills of piloting are insufficient, but building for these speeds becomes much more critical; and these nuances of construction are very new to us. For example, when the manual suggests using epoxy, with a jet like this I start to question whether the hardware store epoxy that I've used on so many aircraft will be completely sufficient, or if I should be going for something put out by modelling companies, such as BVM. And I hear the mention of Hysol, well, I've never heard of such a product before, and I understand that some are using it on the control horns, but is it greatly superior to epoxy, or is epoxy just as good? Is Hysol suitable for spars, etc, and other high-stress, critical structural components, etc.

I have Z-Poxy PT-39 30 minute epoxy. Is that good for all of the epoxy requests in the manual, or should I look into these other adhesives? Should I go for thixotropic or not (a la BVM). So may questions!
Snowbird One is offline Find More Posts by Snowbird One
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:07 AM
Keith Thomas
United States, NM, Portales
Joined Feb 2010
1,132 Posts
I have used Hysol on one of my Habu's and regular 5 minute on the other 2.

I think regular epoxy is fine for the control horns, just make sure you sand the horn down a little. I cleaned mine with alcohol before I sand the horn, just to remove any mold release. I stuffed my first Habu and high speed into a metal fence, it probably hit at close to 100mph. The control horns on the stab ripped out taking a bunch of the wood with it. The rest of the horns stayed in place.

Don't over think this little jet, yes we must take care during construction but it's pretty straight forward in it's build.
keithtsr is offline Find More Posts by keithtsr
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:39 PM
Epping, Essex
Joined Nov 2002
245 Posts
Don't know if it's been posted but Wemotec are going to release a 80mm Midi fan.

http://www.wemotec.com/jtl-shop/index.php?a=148

Happy New Year

Matthew
tallyho is offline Find More Posts by tallyho
Old Dec 29, 2011, 02:11 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,256 Posts
Fellas - working on the wing spar installation right now....I just took the fuse our of the packaging, my jaw dropped on the quality of the paint and glasswork! Regardless, I can't believe that only the pinch of the two Allen bolts is all that holds the wing spar into position! Crazy!
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast